The Photographers' Corner 2013-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452570.251394.jpg
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1444452599.820226.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Some New England Fall pics taken yesterday.

Attachments

• DSCN1914.JPG
    DSCN1914.JPG
    972.4 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN1937.JPG
    DSCN1937.JPG
    869.7 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN1944.JPG
    DSCN1944.JPG
    861.2 KB · Views: 21
Don't know if we'll need this in an El Nino winter but...

Attachments

• 12143192_10153476912950141_7616601675453178799_n.jpg
    12143192_10153476912950141_7616601675453178799_n.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 13
And I'm envious of the wonderful fall shots you got.

The colors are amazing...wish we had some of that here in SD!

Nice shots of fall and the sunrise.

B&H had The Copyright Guys do another seminar and they posted the video on youtube. It's a bit over an hour and a half but if you're interested in the topic (and you should be) you don't have to watch it all at once. I bought their book and think it is worth the money.

Since what I shoot is mostly family gatherings and such I don't bother to register those with the copyright office but if I ever photograph the first alien spaceship landing I'll be sure to register those!

Thanks Walt and BBQ. And thanks Walt for posting the link. This will be good reading tomorrow when it rains. And it's a great reminder - I got a B&H megacatalog in the mail and DW took it before I could peruse it. I better track it down.

I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing. She has a windows machine now and we both really like how the windows viewer works. Basically, you just click on a folder and click on a picture and you can easily scan/view all the pictures in the folder. Very similar to a photo album with very little effort.

Is there a MAC program that stands out as a great program for simple organizing and viewing of a large amount of pictures?

Until I took a photography class, I never realized how many shots it took professional photographers to get the "perfect" photo. That guy has some beautiful shots.

The great photographer's #1 tool is the waste basket - either the physical one or the electronic one.

I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing. She has a windows machine now and we both really like how the windows viewer works. Basically, you just click on a folder and click on a picture and you can easily scan/view all the pictures in the folder. Very similar to a photo album with very little effort.

Is there a MAC program that stands out as a great program for simple organizing and viewing of a large amount of pictures?

If you have a Mac running an older version of OS X, like say 10.9, then you should be able to get iPhoto on the App Store.

If you have a Mac running a newer version, such as 10.10 or 10.11, it comes with an app. called Photos.

You can set up Photos to display photos you take with an iPhone or iPad on the same iCloud (free) account. As well as import photos you take with a regular camera.

Depending on how old your Mac is, you may be able to update to the latest OS version, 10.11, for free.

If you're taking pictures with a higher end camera which can shoot in RAW mode, you can also buy Adobe Lightroom for about $150 a one-time purchase or you can subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month to use Lightroom and Photoshop.

However, you can also use the free Photos app in 10.11 to also edit RAW files.

I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing.

If she's not interested in editing then Lightroom will do what she wants but it's gross overkill for just viewing.

If all she wants is a viewer then there has to be freeware out there that will do what she wants. I'd just google "free Mac photo viewer" or similar.

If you have a Mac running an older version of OS X, like say 10.9, then you should be able to get iPhoto on the App Store.

If you have a Mac running a newer version, such as 10.10 or 10.11, it comes with an app. called Photos.

You can set up Photos to display photos you take with an iPhone or iPad on the same iCloud (free) account. As well as import photos you take with a regular camera.

Depending on how old your Mac is, you may be able to update to the latest OS version, 10.11, for free.

If you're taking pictures with a higher end camera which can shoot in RAW mode, you can also buy Adobe Lightroom for about $150 a one-time purchase or you can subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month to use Lightroom and Photoshop.

However, you can also use the free Photos app in 10.11 to also edit RAW files.

I had updated my OS but I did not realize that the new app "Photos" was now on my desk top. Yes, that is exactly what I wanted. It is much better than the old iPhoto interface was for simple viewing.

Thank you very much!

Not a photo I shot, but an interesting winter scene - a screen grab I took from the Ruidoso, NM webcam Sunday morning.

Attachments

• Ruidoso.JPG
    Ruidoso.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
This is not a good picture but it was an unusual situation. This young moose was out for a stroll about a quarter mile outside of town yesterday. I was sort of waiting for the Northern Exposure theme song.

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I started some new stuff in the Photography Equipment thread, but this one seems quiet. Here is a photo from Cottonwood Cove in Coyote Buttes South, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona. I often see photos of The Wave, which is in Coyote Buttes North. I couldn't get the permit for North, but did get one for South. Has anyone else been here?

This was on a 2 1/2 week trip around northern Arizona that included both rims of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Wood National Park, Monument Valley, and Antelope Canyon among other places. Got any good shots?

Attachments

• IMG_2921p.jpg
    IMG_2921p.jpg
    928.1 KB · Views: 15
I started some new stuff in the Photography Equipment thread, but this one seems quiet. Here is a photo from Cottonwood Cove in Coyote Buttes South, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona. I often see photos of The Wave, which is in Coyote Buttes North. I couldn't get the permit for North, but did get one for South. Has anyone else been here?

This was on a 2 1/2 week trip around northern Arizona that included both rims of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Wood National Park, Monument Valley, and Antelope Canyon among other places. Got any good shots?
Nice shot.

I've never been to Vermillion Cliffs, but it's on my list now.:)

We went to Monument Valley around Thanksgiving 2012 as a side trip to see my folks in Santa Fe. Loved it.

Here's a shot that I took.
Monument-Vlly-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom