Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #2281
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sunrise this morning - amazing colors
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #2282
Moderator Emeritus

Took some shots hiking at Starved Rock State Park in Illinois

Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #2283
Moderator Emeritus

Great sunrise shot, BBQ!
Old 10-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #2284

And I'm envious of the wonderful fall shots you got.

The colors are amazing...wish we had some of that here in SD!
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #2285

Nice shots of fall and the sunrise.

B&H had The Copyright Guys do another seminar and they posted the video on youtube. It's a bit over an hour and a half but if you're interested in the topic (and you should be) you don't have to watch it all at once. I bought their book and think it is worth the money.

Since what I shoot is mostly family gatherings and such I don't bother to register those with the copyright office but if I ever photograph the first alien spaceship landing I'll be sure to register those!

Old 10-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #2286
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Walt and BBQ. And thanks Walt for posting the link. This will be good reading tomorrow when it rains. And it's a great reminder - I got a B&H megacatalog in the mail and DW took it before I could peruse it. I better track it down.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 AM   #2287
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What it takes to be a (great) photographer:

This Shot of a Diving Kingfisher Was 6 Years and 720K Photos in the Making

"6 years, 4,200 hours, and 720,000 exposures" for a single shot!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 AM   #2288
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
What it takes to be a (great) photographer:

This Shot of a Diving Kingfisher Was 6 Years and 720K Photos in the Making

"6 years, 4,200 hours, and 720,000 exposures" for a single shot!
Until I took a photography class, I never realized how many shots it took professional photographers to get the "perfect" photo. That guy has some beautiful shots.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM   #2289

I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing. She has a windows machine now and we both really like how the windows viewer works. Basically, you just click on a folder and click on a picture and you can easily scan/view all the pictures in the folder. Very similar to a photo album with very little effort.

Is there a MAC program that stands out as a great program for simple organizing and viewing of a large amount of pictures?
Old 11-28-2015, 08:53 AM   #2290
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Until I took a photography class, I never realized how many shots it took professional photographers to get the "perfect" photo. That guy has some beautiful shots.
The great photographer's #1 tool is the waste basket - either the physical one or the electronic one.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:05 PM   #2291
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing. She has a windows machine now and we both really like how the windows viewer works. Basically, you just click on a folder and click on a picture and you can easily scan/view all the pictures in the folder. Very similar to a photo album with very little effort.

Is there a MAC program that stands out as a great program for simple organizing and viewing of a large amount of pictures?
If you have a Mac running an older version of OS X, like say 10.9, then you should be able to get iPhoto on the App Store.

If you have a Mac running a newer version, such as 10.10 or 10.11, it comes with an app. called Photos.

You can set up Photos to display photos you take with an iPhone or iPad on the same iCloud (free) account. As well as import photos you take with a regular camera.

Depending on how old your Mac is, you may be able to update to the latest OS version, 10.11, for free.

If you're taking pictures with a higher end camera which can shoot in RAW mode, you can also buy Adobe Lightroom for about $150 a one-time purchase or you can subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month to use Lightroom and Photoshop.

However, you can also use the free Photos app in 10.11 to also edit RAW files.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #2292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I wonder if I could get some recommendations on some photo software for a MAC. My wife does all the picture taking and she does not do much if any editing.
If she's not interested in editing then Lightroom will do what she wants but it's gross overkill for just viewing.

If all she wants is a viewer then there has to be freeware out there that will do what she wants. I'd just google "free Mac photo viewer" or similar.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #2293

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
If you have a Mac running an older version of OS X, like say 10.9, then you should be able to get iPhoto on the App Store.

If you have a Mac running a newer version, such as 10.10 or 10.11, it comes with an app. called Photos.

You can set up Photos to display photos you take with an iPhone or iPad on the same iCloud (free) account. As well as import photos you take with a regular camera.

Depending on how old your Mac is, you may be able to update to the latest OS version, 10.11, for free.

If you're taking pictures with a higher end camera which can shoot in RAW mode, you can also buy Adobe Lightroom for about $150 a one-time purchase or you can subscribe to Adobe Creative Cloud for $10 a month to use Lightroom and Photoshop.

However, you can also use the free Photos app in 10.11 to also edit RAW files.
I had updated my OS but I did not realize that the new app "Photos" was now on my desk top. Yes, that is exactly what I wanted. It is much better than the old iPhoto interface was for simple viewing.

Thank you very much!
Florida sunset
Old 12-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #2294
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Florida sunset

Old 12-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #2295

my shot

was on an outrigger off Waikiki and caught this one.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #2296
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Not a photo I shot, but an interesting winter scene - a screen grab I took from the Ruidoso, NM webcam Sunday morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruidoso.JPG (55.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #2297

This is not a good picture but it was an unusual situation. This young moose was out for a stroll about a quarter mile outside of town yesterday. I was sort of waiting for the Northern Exposure theme song.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg media.jpg (127.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:22 AM   #2298
Give me a forum ...

I started some new stuff in the Photography Equipment thread, but this one seems quiet. Here is a photo from Cottonwood Cove in Coyote Buttes South, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona. I often see photos of The Wave, which is in Coyote Buttes North. I couldn't get the permit for North, but did get one for South. Has anyone else been here?

This was on a 2 1/2 week trip around northern Arizona that included both rims of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Wood National Park, Monument Valley, and Antelope Canyon among other places. Got any good shots?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2921p.jpg (928.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 12-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #2299

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I started some new stuff in the Photography Equipment thread, but this one seems quiet. Here is a photo from Cottonwood Cove in Coyote Buttes South, Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, Arizona. I often see photos of The Wave, which is in Coyote Buttes North. I couldn't get the permit for North, but did get one for South. Has anyone else been here?

This was on a 2 1/2 week trip around northern Arizona that included both rims of the Grand Canyon, Petrified Wood National Park, Monument Valley, and Antelope Canyon among other places. Got any good shots?
Nice shot.

I've never been to Vermillion Cliffs, but it's on my list now.

We went to Monument Valley around Thanksgiving 2012 as a side trip to see my folks in Santa Fe. Loved it.

Here's a shot that I took.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:02 AM   #2300
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Nice shot.

I've never been to Vermillion Cliffs, but it's on my list now.
+1
Closed Thread