Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #2441
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mind you, people don't need to figure prominently in street photos, or even at all. Sometimes, I'll use people just to create a sense of scale, a type of dynamic, or even as a sort of whimsical counterpoint to the inanimate objects in the frame. It's also quite interesting to me how a scene consisting entirely of inanimate objects can convey a sense of pathos, humor, or a wide range of other feelings. Like everything else to do with photography, my efforts fall woefully short, but when the mood strikes, it's fun trying -

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:38 PM   #2442
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Mind you, people don't need to figure prominently in street photos, or even at all.
Very true... however, Garry Winograd would not be my idol if not for. <grin>

https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/
Old 05-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #2443

People in public settings are unpredictable. I think that's part of the attraction. When a moment does happen, it's fleeting, and capturing it is a gift. It's entertaining and informative to watch YouTube videos of good street photographers working. They make it look so easy - until I go out on the street and try to replicate their methods!

Agreed about Garry Winograd, and all the usual suspects - Cartier-Bresson, Willy Ronis, William Klein, and all the great Magnum photographers. Also, there are some really good street shooters, who are not as acclaimed as the greats, but whose work is well worth looking at. Maciej Dakowicz is one of my favorites -

Street Photography Around The World | Maciej Dakowicz

British photographer Matt Stuart is another -

COLOUR | MATT STUART | PHOTOGRAPHER | SHOOTS PEOPLE — MATT STUART | PHOTOGRAPHER | SHOOTS PEOPLE

Zack Arias comes to mind too. There's so much good street photography out there, and the internet makes it so easily accessible.

Thanks for the link to the Luminous Landscape article. I used to read that site a lot more regularly, before they started charging a subscription fee. I'm not cheap, but if I had to pay a few dollars for every single thing I enjoy online - well, I might just have to go back to work :-)

Old 05-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #2444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Agreed about Garry Winograd, ...

... Luminous Landscape article. I used to read that site a lot more regularly, before they started charging a subscription fee. I'm not cheap, but if I had to pay a few dollars for every single thing I enjoy online - well, I might just have to go back to work.
Nobody said photography was low cost. <chuckle>

and much lower quality (technically) but still quite interesting:

In the mid 70's. I found this book, "Women are Beautiful," in the "markdown bin. I was blown away and, to tell the truth, my love of photography began at that moment. Even today I, periodically, pull it out and look at all the photos again. I had no idea that it was worth this much:

http://www.amazon.com/Women-are-beau.../dp/0374292779
Old 05-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #2445

What astounded me when I first saw the videos of Garry working, was how fast he worked. His technique of fiddling with the controls, glancing at the camera, glancing away and looking a bit confused, as a way to divert the potential subject's attention away from him, is quite novel.

Good stuff.

It was William Klein who first did it for me. There was an article about him in a photography magazine I subscribed to as a teenager. The photos jumped out at me. He was up close to his subjects with a wide angle lens. The frames were filled to the edges and bursting at the seams. Engaging and dynamic.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:31 AM   #2446
Moderator Emeritus

Major Tom - I really like the "Party this way" photo. Lots of great compositional elements - leading lines of the driveway, perspective of the house, the leaning balloons, etc. And the sign makes it.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #2447

Thank you Ronstar. I thought the old Caddy was rather humorous too, in a questionable sort of a way. Ideally, it would have been more beat up and looking as if it was on it's last legs, but I think the image worked.

I enjoy taking pictures with a wide angle lens. Unless you're shooting with a very wide aperture and close to the subject, the depth of field is big, and almost everything is in focus. It forces me to consider everything in the frame.

Old 05-19-2016, 04:17 PM   #2448
Give me a forum ...

Sadly, I have heard the news that Michael Reichmann has died.

https://luminous-landscape.com/sad-d...ous-landscape/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 05-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sadly, I have heard the news that Michael Reichmann has died.

https://luminous-landscape.com/sad-d...ous-landscape/
That's sad. I didn't know much about him personally, but used to read quite a lot of his articles, and appreciated his passion for photography.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 PM   #2450
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Sadly, I have heard the news that Michael has died.
There are those who quietly do great things. Michael was one of those. He will be missed.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:14 AM   #2451

On reading the article about Michael, I learned that an oft-used phrase of his was "There's no shot here", and it got me to thinking about the importance of editing. I edit my "work" heavily (it feels a bit presumptuous to call what I do "work"). There's no point in exposing folk to the all of the absolute bilge that usually comes out of my camera. By choosing what I consider my better shots, I'm showing respect for the viewer, by not wasting their time with the full breadth of my mediocrity :-)

Michael's saying got me to thinking to another aspect of editing - actually being discerning in what you shoot. Sometimes, I feel that if I were a good enough photographer, I could make a worthy shot in almost any place and with almost any subject. I suspect that many of us are tempted to think that way. Perhaps it's true, but for most of us mere mortals, it's a more practical approach to know when to give up - to say, "There's no shot here", because doing so frees us up to spend our valuable time in more promising locations with subjects that will give us a higher chance of success.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:00 AM   #2452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... By choosing what I consider my better shots, I'm showing respect for the viewer, by not wasting their time with the full breadth of my mediocrity :-)...
Then, I would not have anything to show. Everything I took was mediocre.

But I show more to my family than the forum here, so y'all are safe.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #2453
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Looking for fish.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1463771435514.jpg (64.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #2454

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Then, I would not have anything to show. Everything I took was mediocre.

But I show more to my family than the forum here, so y'all are safe.
The shots for family and friends are the best. I really enjoy looking at the snaps my friends and family post on Facebook - seeing them, and seeing what they are up to. You should post something and besides, I'd like to see a photo of your Class C RV

I tend not to post many pictures on photography forums because well, it sounds a bit rude, but I'm not that interested in what strangers think of my photographs. I'm also not that good, in the big scheme of things. I take pictures for my own enjoyment, and to share with family and friends. However, everyone is friendly here, and no-one's into heavy critique, so I'll probably post a few snaps from time to time.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #2455
Give me a forum ...

No, no photos of us or our RV. We like to travel incognito.

PS. I have not been to any photography forum, even to lurk, because I am not a photographer. My artistic skills, in everything and not just photography, on a scale of 0 to 10, rate about a -2.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-20-2016, 11:21 PM   #2456

That's OK NW-Bound. I always enjoy your comments on RV'ing

Then there are the grab-shots. I don't even know if they're any good, photographically (probably not), but they're a bit goofy, and goofy is good -

Old 05-21-2016, 05:25 AM   #2457
Moderator Emeritus

I like shooting landscapes and architecture, and sometimes they can be street photos.

Old 05-21-2016, 05:52 AM   #2458
Give me a forum ...

Here is a list of current "street" photographers (chosen by popularity):

Vote for the 20 most Influential Street Photographers of 2016

Quote:
The original list of 21 Street Photographers the Street Hunters team recommended has now grown to 115 Street Photographers thanks to all of you! Wow 115 Street Photographers!!!
Quote:
... we would like to tell you that we filtered out many names that didn’t meet the criteria of this project. [not influential] ... Also, while we appreciate we can all be influenced by the great masters of street photography, the purpose of our list was to feature street photographers that are working and influencing today. For that reason we are removing Seul Leiter and Garry Winogrand from the voting list.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:01 AM   #2459
Moderator Emeritus

Ron - thanks for the link!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #2460
Give me a forum ...

Where is that sculpture? Chicago?
Closed Thread