Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I resigned, I asked for an appointment with my boss. I didn't want her secretary to be the first to know, so I said it was about a HR matter. My boss was extremely busy and I was given an appointment in two weeks. I did not want to wait that long! I prepared the letter and hand delivered it to her office. Then I sent her an email with a PDF copy of the signed letter. That certainly got her attention and I had an immediate phone call!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My resignation letter was brief. I know I posted it in another thread a year or two ago, but I'll post it again for the benefit of those who are newcomers. I wanted to hand it to the head of my division, but he was at a long meeting so I gave it to his two immediate subordinates, my two managers.

"This is to inform you that I am resigning my position at [Megacorp]. My last day will be Friday, October 31st, 2008.

Please begin the process which includes the paperwork I will need to complete so I can have a prompt and orderly transition of my savings plan assets to the accounts of my choice. Because I am paid on a lag basis, I would also appreciate it if you and HR can arrange for my last paycheck to be given to me as soon as possible after my last day because that will speed up the paperwork [Savings Plan Administrator] needs to get before they can disburse the funds to me."

I still get chills reading it again.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Long story but mine started out as a conversation and ended up with me convincing them to fire me with a severance package. So the letter was actually written by them.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
gone traveling

Wow, how strange that you posted this yesterday.

Because yesterday I also thought about how and when to give my notice.

I plan on giving a six month notice, because it will certainly take that long to recruit and bring up to speed my replacement. And I am willing to assist in that transition.

And just last night I was discussing with DW how I was either going to give that notice at the end of this year effective 7/1/2014, or in June effective 12/31/14, and that based on recent events it would be sooner rather than later.

So your post and this thread are extremely relevant for me, and I've benefited from the suggestions thus far.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine was super short. Gave them my date and said I enjoyed working there and to thank my boss for her support. Which gauled me as she has been the least supportive boss, but I don't burn my bridges!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine was very brief.."just the facts". Like W2R I sent an email to my colleagues expressing my appreciation for having worked with them, but the letter for HR was very brief.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

It seems some of you write the letter to HR, and some to your boss. I guess that if you work in HR, they are the same, but otherwise, what is the correct protocol? I always assumed that you wrote to your boss. However, my situation was not typical.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

My letter was addressed to my boss but it was a formality to fulfill HR requirements.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think you resignation letter needs a little warmth. Maybe you could include something like - Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this institution for the past _ years. Warm thoughts and best wishes to all of you.'
If you don't have warm thoughts then just 'best wishes to all of you.'
Old 11-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyOutsourced View Post
I think you resignation letter needs a little warmth. Maybe you could include something like - Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of this institution for the past _ years. Warm thoughts and best wishes to all of you.'
If you don't have warm thoughts then just 'best wishes to all of you.'
My RIF notice wasn't particularly warm...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
My RIF notice wasn't particularly warm...
"In closing, I would like to quote Dick Cheney..."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
"In closing, I would like to quote Dick Cheney..."

Old 11-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and good luck with your future plans.

When leaving a firm (with or without contract) I always had a short letter such as yours that I handed to my supervisor and had a cc for the HR office that the supervisor could deliver. That way my supervisor had the first news and it became their duty to deal w/HR. By the time HR reached me they had the news and I didn't need to go through further dialogue.

Again, a very "neutral" thank you was all I added beyond what you have written and felt the least said was the best.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #35

A coworker just retired.
He gave two week notice. Had a letter printed out for his boss - but his boss called in sick on d-day... so he gave it to his former boss. (they work closely together) He let the other managers (and his bosses boss) know by email.

It was direct. "This is to notify you that I will be retiring on Nov. 1, 2013. Please let me know what I can do to aide in the transition."

Our work requires a letter for HR. But you turn it in to the boss - and the boss submits it to HR.
(I've scoured the internal websites for all policy stuff related to retirement, quitting, severance, RIF, etc... never know when that info will come in handy.)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #36

I added "Thanks" to the end of my resignation letter and sent it by email to my boss last Thursday. On Friday we had a short chat, but he was ill and said that he wanted a longer conversation on Tuesday...... That's today. He hasn't stopped by so far, and in fact his entire lack of managerial aptitude is one of the reasons I'm leaving. Academia isn't know for its outstanding managers, but my group is pretty much anarchy he's so hands off. That can be good sometimes, when there's lots of cash around, but when things are tight it's a liability. I feel I'm leaving a disfunctional sinking ship. See why I want to keep the resignation letter as short as possible.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #37

Short and sweet, that's good.

Given my boss is a-hole, I want to write all the reasons why he has screwed up many of his employees' life. I want to write managing by fear & intimidation is poisonous approach in dealing with his subordinates. I want to write he is the main reason I am quitting. Yadi, yadi, yada. But it would only lower me to his level and I will probably stick with your approach.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #38

This is just a business transaction. All you need to do is give a date, say you are quitting, and sign it. You can add all the fluff you want to, and it is still just fluff.

The manager probably appreciates a letter because when he gives the letter to HR, HR knows that it was your idea to quit and not the manager's idea.

I have never understood all this agony over how to quit a job. Employers routinely terminate people without agonizing.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
I have never understood all this agony over how to quit a job. Employers routinely terminate people without agonizing.
Perhaps if one worked in a small business, partnership, etc., but with megacorp, totally agree!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Perhaps if one worked in a small business, partnership, etc., but with megacorp, totally agree!
Yes. In smaller places where one might have a personal relationship with the owner(s) managers, or coworkers, one might use a softer touch. But with a megacorp, just do what is required.