The retiement blues

i haven't enjoyed the second year at all. part of that is because i got so depressed that i lost my regular routine of biking & swimming & gym. my sleeping is so out of whack that i not only lose track of the day, i don't even know what time it is.
Yeah, went through that period as well - even started smoking again. There's no fun like starting running and exercising after a period of layoff (and giving up nicotine), unless it's doing it when you're 49. It makes me sore, tired and pretty damn grumpy during the transition phase.
hey, while i was looking i came across this job which is sure to bring some excitement to life...

EG&G - Small Arms Repairman - Iraq
Yet another job that I'm qualified for that involves excitement - 2111 was my last MOS in the military. Fortunately (or unfortunately - depending on how you look at it), I'm not qualified for too many peaceful occupations that pay well. And my brief sojourn as a civilian in this field was too exciting for my idea of employment during retirement. It's not that I can't deal with the excitement, it just doesn't seem like what I should be doing. I had one of those "I'm too old for this S$%t!" moments and remember thinking how upset the family would be for me to come home in a box. It cured me.

I am not retired yet and I won't be for another 10-15 years, but I hope I won't feel lost when I retire, especially when I am really old.

I took a little over a week off work recently. Whenever I take days off from work, I always go travel, but this time, I told myself that I would play retirement at home. I just wanted to see what it was like to just hang around. I found a couple of projects at home that kept me busy for a day or two, and also started an exercise routine again, so I can see that there are some things I would do more of when I retire, but each day seemed much longer because I wasn't tired at the end of the day. (When I am working, I am kind of tired at the end of the day and I don't do much on weekends either except for the chores and some hobby stuff.) I also ended up spending more money during my "retirement week" probably because I have energy left at the end of the day. I wish I could take a few months off to see how I fare. The whole week though, I felt slightly stressed thinking that I had to plan a day ahead so I could be productive. It sounds like true retirement won't be like that at all, but that is the mind-set we all have to some extent.

My mom finally retired at 72. (She had her own business.) She was busy for a few years helping out my BIL (he was sick) but after that, she started getting bored. She found a couple of things since then that she enjoys doing and keeps her occupied, but she sometimes get depressed (not clinically... more bored than anything). She says she feels like she is not contributing to society and that she misses being useful and needed. (Her DH died many years before her, and she has no grandchildren.) I suggested volunteer work, but she says she is simply too old for that. (She is very healthy, physically fit for her age, and mentally very sharp, but I think she is right.) So this makes me think a lot about my later years....

Just rambling.

tmm

I think structure may be the key... my mom always talks about the past and really has no plans with friends other than going to lunch once or twice a week. While my MIL (same age - 80) is planning trips around the country and weekends with friends.

Maybe it is planning to have a future...

I check the surf forecast first thing every morning.

apparently, with a lake and a speedboat you wouldn't have to check, but just make your own surforecast. check it out...

briansears11 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

even started smoking again....

yikes, i could never do that. all the walls in my house are freshly painted white.

There's no fun like starting running and exercising after a period of layoff (and giving up nicotine), unless it's doing it when you're 49.

try it at 51. as i'm getting my act back together again and can't believe what i've done to myself. took me almost two hours to bike my normal hour circuit downtown, to the beach and back. not good.

I had one of those "I'm too old for this S$%t!" moments and remember thinking how upset the family would be for me to come home in a box. It cured me.

i think a lot of that is realizing, as we don't when we are younger, how fragile our lives really are. my friend's army ranger kid is just now realizing that since a buddy of his just got shot up by friendly fire while training. suddenly the kid isn't as gung ho as he was when he signed up without discussing recruitment with his parents. oh, you mean, this is actually real? i thought this was just a video game.

I'll go out on a limb and say that you have been "told" what to do, most of your life (e.g. you "must" get up, go to school/w*rk, support your family, etc.)
It's like the person who was in a profession that required them to wear a uniform (military, police, doctor, nurse, fast-food worker, etc.) There are "standards" that ensure that you all look the same (e.g. uniform :cool: ). It's easy to get dressed because you don't have to worry about what to wear - because you wear the same thing every day.
One of my friends who'd been out of the service for a dozen years had his choice of ties questioned by a shipmate. My friend retorted "Hey, I don't take fashion advice from a guy who just sniffs his uniform before deciding whether to wear it for the third day in a row!"

I feel the same way about civilian clothing as I do about wearing coveralls... it's just not that big a deal. I can't believe what ends up in Goodwill because by the time I'm done with a t-shirt even the rag bag rejects it. I have a hard time getting excited about wearing socks & shoes, let alone pants or a buttoned shirt.

Having had that background, especially where the quality of life is reduced to a bare minimum or even below, I can appreciate being able to do my own thing and being in charge of my own schedule. My expectations are low and it takes very little to make me happy or entertained...

There was a lot of my identity tied into the job, along with enough ego to fill a box car. There was a period of adjusting after I got over the initial giddiness (I'm free, freeee, freeeeee!).
Ultimately I decided that I had moved past the job, and the way I did it was to remember the dues that had be to be paid for the brief moments of fulfillment and satisfaction.
Maybe it's because I knew my retirement date about eight years in advance (as soon as the promotions stopped) or maybe it's because I'd lived & worked with a lot of Trump-sized egos. But it took me about 10 minutes to make the transition and shed all of that. It only takes a few memories of the seconds of sheer terror to decide that days of uneventful living are a fair trade. The hassles just aren't worth the putative "benefits".

T-shirt spotted recently in Walmart: I'm retire; do it yourself... :D
I like "Genius by birth, slacker by choice". I'm going to have mixed feelings if the high-school junior I saw it on starts dating my daughter...

Can I ask, please, for the love of god...that you reconsider the pants?
Hey, if I gave up my beach jams for pants then I'd have to consider wearing underwear again, and that's a whole 'nother lifestyle compromise that I philosophically oppose.

As Leo pointed out, none of the moms have complained...

I have been feeling kinda down these days. I retired in January '08 and went through a flurry of activity to clean up and fix up the homestead. Lately, I have been in a funk. I am starting to feel like my life doesn't matter anymore since I left my career. Yes, I do have many activities including my volunteer work at the animal shelter, but just feel like I'm out of the mainstream of life these days. ...

DW stopped working about 10 months ago. She expressed some similar feelings but she seems to be adapting.

I have about 3 years to work before I FIRE. I believe that the freedom will make a difference. We intend to travel and I have a number of interests to keep me busy. Still, adding some sort of basic structure to ones life can be important.

The average American spends most of their life in some sort of structure. age 0-6 (for me) were the only unstructured years. At age 6 most enter school (earlier for kids now days). Out of school, went into the military. Out of the military back to work and school part-time/full-time, Finish school work regularly for years back to school part-time and working full-time... up to now. I can see how stepping away from that pattern (after a life of it) and into less structure can be a bit of an adjustment.

My experience was a little different.
Audrey, how do you think the RV lifestyle fits in to this? I can see where the zillions of planning details surrounding itineraries, choice of campgrounds, maintaining the rig and meeting new people all the time might provide a built-in structure to stave off stagnation.

But then again, the difficulty of getting really plugged in to a community (as in setting down roots) when you are full-timing might be unsettling to the newer retiree.

Any observations?

Being off the j*b for a year now (last day of w*rk was Aug 3 2007) I can relate to having the "blues". Even before my official retirement (9-30-07) I was feeling down but could not quite figure out what I was missing. Something just wasn't right. Then it all came to light one day.

The missing pieces of my day were lunch and recess. :D

So a few emails and lunch with the guys fixed it all up. Coffee breaks in the sunroom with DW help too. :D

Hey, if I gave up my beach jams for pants then I'd have to consider wearing underwear again, and that's a whole 'nother lifestyle compromise that I philosophically oppose.

As Leo pointed out, none of the moms have complained...
Pants? We don't need no stinkin' pants! This is Hawai'i man.

Attachments

• g06.jpg
    g06.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 3
Okay, as long as all the pantsless guys stay in hawaii I'm good.

Pantsless women can report to northern california. Although with average temps in the 95-98 range, there isnt much being worn as it is.

Hmmm, Purron, with a few unsettling moments brought on by reading this thread (please keep wearing some sort of pants, guys, and no speedos) I think what stuck out for me was the idea of goal setting being important.

Settting and achieving goals, in life, or work, or whatever, is central to a lot of us. I think that you will be able to find a way to incorporate that into your retirement once you give it some thought. Either through your volunteer work, home/yard improvements, health/nutrition, or something completely new, I believe that you will stumble into the right direction for your focus. And of course, when your mate retires, it will make it all the more sweet!

I wish you great luck in finding "it", as I worry about DH a lot since he will be retiring before me and has not given much thought to this likely dilemma, despite my nagging.

I wish you great luck in finding "it", as I worry about DH a lot since he will be retiring before me and has not given much thought to this likely dilemma, despite my nagging.

That gives me an idea- his goal could be to stop your nagging and just get you to dance around all the time.

Ha

Ha, I'm sure he'll be completely "behind" that idea. >:D
and if what he claims is true and that my nagging is in fact shortening his lifespan, then I'll aim to be one of those widows... :rolleyes:

Audrey, how do you think the RV lifestyle fits in to this? I can see where the zillions of planning details surrounding itineraries, choice of campgrounds, maintaining the rig and meeting new people all the time might provide a built-in structure to stave off stagnation.

But then again, the difficulty of getting really plugged in to a community (as in setting down roots) when you are full-timing might be unsettling to the newer retiree.

Any observations?
We were already retired for almost 6 years before we went full time RVing, and retired 4.5 years before we even started RVing.

We did several kinds of travel those first few years. On our own, with groups, photography, birdwatching, nature exploration, by land, by boat, by plane. Our lives swapped between bursts of travel and bursts of stay-at-home and do stuff. Although I took full advantage of the benefits of a fixed abode (took local classes, enjoyed a personal trainer for 2.5 years), ultimately the wandering lifestyle won out as the "ideal" for us. But it really took us almost 5 years retired to discover (and refine) what this "ideal" lifestyle was for us.

The fulltime RV lifestyle is actually much less structured than the live-in-a-house and go-on-planned-trips lifestyle. At least the way we do it which is pretty much a continual winging it scenario. It's August, and we're STILL in Oregon - we didn't expect that!

I remember having to do much more research and planning when we were going on the traveling bursts mode - plane tickets, hotels, rental cars, etc. With the RV we tend to just figure out what to do 1 day in advance - or same day even! We make very few advanced reservations. It's very open-ended lifestyle, and we just LOVE the flexibility and serendipity of living this way. But fulltime RVing is definitely a more complex lifestyle than having a fixed abode even though it definitely makes the traveling easier - every time you go grocery shopping it's a new store!, you gotta get your mail to catch up with you now and then, ordering stuff is a challenge (you gotta be somewhere long enough), you gotta swap stuff in and out of storage occasionally, there is always something to deal with on the motorhome.

I think when you retire you kind of have to re-plug-in to a community anyway, so I don't know if it matters that much whether it's a mobile community or not (although you really should gain some RV experience before jumping in with both feet). We've made plenty of friends who like to do the same stuff we did (that's how we meet them!) and as we travel, we have these friends all over the country anyway. Our friends didn't really change when we went fulltime. But we also still keep in touch with friends from 10, 20 years ago, some of whom have moved, and when we pass through their area we reconnect. With email and phones it's so easy to keep in touch no matter where you are.

just some thoughts....

Audrey

You should write a book, Audrey. Your insights into RVing always amaze me. Most of what I read (web or printed) deals with fuel, mechanics, or whether to pack a gun aboard ;). I find your descriptions both realistic and encouraging.

Thanks. Glad you find them inspiring. We took a very conscious, aware approach to how we wanted to live. I wrote more on Chinaco's "Things to keep you active" thread.

Don't have time to write a book though! I've got other important projects that are being neglected because we keep ending up in such interesting places and ya gotta seize the moment!

Audrey

I am not yet retired---but I do think about the possibility of boredom that lack of structure can bring on. That is a big part of my motivation for reading this forum. I think the financial aspects of retirement are the easiest to figure out. Finances reallly work out to a fairly simple match problem (expenses x 25 for example). Now I am not saying that accumulating the assets to allow for retirement is easy, but I do believe that is easy to determine with a fair degree of certainty if you have "enough" Planning for how to structure a life is a much more interesting question. That is a challenge that I am looking forward to meeting.

I am not yet retired---but I do think about the possibility of boredom that lack of structure can bring on. That is a big part of my motivation for reading this forum. I think the financial aspects of retirement are the easiest to figure out. Finances reallly work out to a fairly simple match problem (expenses x 25 for example). Now I am not saying that accumulating the assets to allow for retirement is easy, but I do believe that is easy to determine with a fair degree of certainty if you have "enough" Planning for how to structure a life is a much more interesting question. That is a challenge that I am looking forward to meeting.
I agree. For most of the last 30 years all I thought about was the $ aspect. Now that I've reached FI, I've finally realized there's a lot more to it. Reading Work Less, Live More (Clyatt) and How to Retire Happy, Wild & Free (Zelinski) opened my eyes. So I am spending my last 2 years working focused on the aspects other than $. Will be fun/interesting. And I agree there have been lots of worthwhile POV's here to add to the process...

I am not yet retired---but I do think about the possibility of boredom that lack of structure can bring on. ... Planning for how to structure a life is a much more interesting question. That is a challenge that I am looking forward to meeting.
I honestly don't believe that lack of structure causes boredom. We become "trained" to live a very structured life in the modern world - first with schooling, and then work/career, and as a consequence less structure might feel a little funny at first, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. And I think it is possible to have a very structured life and be bored out of your mind.

I commend you for thinking consciously about how you want to live your retired life, and that you look forward to this challenge. That is a terrific attitude and I think it means you'll be pretty happy in retirement.

After I retired, I gave myself plenty of time to decompress and kept things simple for a while (at the same time doing a bunch of stuff that we really couldn't while working). Then, after say a year, I began to more actively experiment with different things to see what really clicked. Finally, after a couple of years or so, I went through a very conscious "streamlining process", where we really stepped back and decided that A, B, and C were the top priorities in our lives, and figured out how to optimize our lifestyle to emphasize those and remove many of the day-to-day hassles. This led us to our current lifestyle. Making the grand transition took another year or so. So overall, it took us a few years to get there, but I'm not sure I could have either figured it out before I retired or done it that quickly.

But you're on the right track in realizing that "designing your new life" is the key to look forward to, and it is much more rich and complex than the financial aspects, and requires that you truly "know thyself" or invest in the discovery.

Audrey

I honestly don't believe that lack of structure causes boredom. We become "trained" to live a very structured life in the modern world - first with schooling, and then work/career, and as a consequence less structure might feel a little funny at first, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. And I think it is possible to have a very structured life and be bored out of your mind.
Some people just don't want to (or can't) be responsible for their own entertainment...

Some people just don't want to (or can't) be responsible for their own entertainment...

You got that right! Thankfully I'm not in that number!!! I can easily keep myself entertained.....and it's not difficult at all!!! Even if it's just sitting on the patio doing absolutely nothing, I'm entertained! I've been ER'd for 16 months (as of tomorrow), and I haven't even come close to being bored......I haven't had time to be bored. The other day I sat under the shade tree in my Adirondack chair, and watched the birds and bugs play, and enjoyed an occasional cloud passing over......for 5 solid hours! Only took enough time out to make a sandwich and grab a handful of chips....then picked up where I left off doing nothing. Man, what a great time I had that day! :D

I've occasionally pondered trying to find time to do some volunteering, but everywhere around here wants you commit to a certain day (or days) every week, and the same hours all the time.......flexibility isn't an option with them. My desire and ability to live within "structure" has diminished to very near the point of nonexistence. If I could do it on varying days and at varying hours, I'd go for it in a heart-beat......heck I could easily commit to that, and could even schedule specific days and hours for 1-2 months at a time....but they're rigid and structured in their rules, and I'm anything but!

I lost my ability to deal with 'structure' on the same day I lost my 'work ethic'.......16 months ago tomorrow! :D

Back
Top Bottom