Join Early Retirement Today

The rewards of FI - A day off
Old 05-09-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The rewards of FI - A day off

Taking advantage of my new self-employed status, I declared a holiday today and spent the day riding along the Brazos River looking for spots to launch my kayak. Since it is a high-bank river with limited public access, this is a real challenge.

As an aside, I rode 112 miles on my 250cc motorcycle and got 76 mpg. Most of the driving was rural highways at 50-65 mph.

Looking forward to my next day off when I expect to go kayaking. The river is a little too high right now. I located a nice launch site about 11 miles upriver from my house. This should make an easy day trip. I located another launch site about 20 miles upriver which would make a long day trip or a nice overnight trip.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a lot of fun, as I sit here in my apartment with my megacorp email on, rain outside, and daydreaming of rivers, canoeing, RVing, and motorcycling...

R

Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sure the rainy weekends we've been having are getting me down - lots of plans either cancelled or rescheduled. It sucks being stuck inside at work on a nice sunny day.
However this year it isnt geting me down as much as usual

Only have 5.5 more days of work then Im "early retiring"
I can see the sun at the end of the tunnel
Old 05-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like a fun way way to find launch sites. In a way thanks. Reminded me to renew my kayak launch permit. I'm strictly a lazy flat water kayaker.
Prefer early morning paddles drifting slowly through the mist.
Enjoy your self imposed day off.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture View Post
Taking advantage of my new self-employed status, I declared a holiday today and spent the day riding along the Brazos River looking for spots to launch my kayak. Since it is a high-bank river with limited public access, this is a real challenge.

As an aside, I rode 112 miles on my 250cc motorcycle and got 76 mpg. Most of the driving was rural highways at 50-65 mph.

Looking forward to my next day off when I expect to go kayaking. The river is a little too high right now. I located a nice launch site about 11 miles upriver from my house. This should make an easy day trip. I located another launch site about 20 miles upriver which would make a long day trip or a nice overnight trip.
Easy big fella. Before you know it, you will want to experience the full time ER lifestyle.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Easy big fella. Before you know it, you will want to experience the full time ER lifestyle.
Too late. If only I could convince the wife.