Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: New Video called the secret. I just viewed it and I found it enlightening. have you heard about the
never heard of it, not interested 46 38.98%
never heard of it, will look into it 18 15.25%
heard of it, intrigued 11 9.32%
saw the video, recommend it 4 3.39%
saw it and WOW... enlightened!!!!!! 1 0.85%
Heard of it, same old message repackaged 38 32.20%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Re: " THE SECRET "
Old 03-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #21
Administrator

Well put LG4NB.

It has been my observation that those who have an exaggerated sense of control are also those who worry the most and are the least trusting. They must be hyper-vigilant, alert to the slightest changes in conditions, so that they can adjust the controls as necessary. The people who appear to have real peace are those who accept that sh$t happens, despite our best efforts. They put their efforts into things where they have a reasonable prospect of affecting the outcome, and don't worry about the things which neither they nor anyone else can control.

People who have an overdeveloped sense of control also tend to assume that others are the same way and that if someone does something that harms you, it was done with deliberate malice. In fact, most people are too concerned with their own lives to deliberately set out to hurt others. Rather, their harmful actions are the consequence of sloth, ignorance or stupidity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2007, 04:54 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
even one of the practical founders of new age thinking, carlos castanada, said through his don juan character, "self-importance is the nemisis of mankind." how godlike to think that we control absolutely our own destiny.
I read Castanada's books when they first came out. I remember one quote: Castanada asked Don Juan (?) why he had to take so many drugs while Don Juan's other student's didn't have to?
Don Juan's answer: "Because you are so stupid."
Old 03-11-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You need to add another option to the poll: Saw it and it was pure drivel.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Obsessing on the negative, constant "disasterizing," tying in with toxic people, and assuming the worst is going to happen is no way to live a life.
I dunno, it's worked for me! If I don't have enough saved for retirement, it'll be a disaster. So I tie in with toxic people (co-workers, bosses, and senior management), so in case the worst happens I'll be covered.

Quote:
i lost a new age friend to such a secret. when he caught hiv-aids, instead of saving himself, instead of striving to live a full and long life--which is pretty easily accomplished today--his new age secret thinking would not disengage.
Sorry to hear about your friend, lazy. I had a far less tragic experience with my brother. We have both had very bad seasonal allergies since childhood. One year he decided that allergies were all in his head (and mine) and that controlling his thinking would get rid of them.

Not!

After a couple of days of terrible congestion, itching, and swollen eyes, he got back on the meds.

Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Exactamundo. The secret is that they found a new way to get people to pay $30 a pop for new age tripe: call it "The Secret."
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #26

Quote:
There you go!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #27

Reconstituted positive thinking principles along with unproven pseudo science ramblings.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
I read Castanada's books when they first came out. I remember one quote: Castanada asked Don Juan (?) why he had to take so many drugs while Don Juan's other student's didn't have to?
I enjoyed those books but I could never understand the people who believed them to be non-fiction. About 12 years ago a friend cajoled me into reading the goofy Celestine Prophecy, claiming his life had been transformed. It turned out he was bi-polar and was starting up a manic slope.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Just watch an episode of "My Name is Earl" and it will pretty much sum it up in a much simpler way.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:15 PM   #30

Quote:
I added it and some puritan decided to delete your option. And it had 3 votes, the last time I looked. - Looks like someone is trying to 'Farm' an answer!
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat

I added it and some puritan decided to delete your option. And it had 3 votes, the last time I looked. - Looks like someone is trying to 'Farm' an answer!
It was up long enough for me to vote for it. I feel confident that the "pure drivel" option would have won with this group, but we'll never know now.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
castanada was a bit paraniod as much of his theme shows a universe out to get you. i think i read somewhere that though he started off learning how to dream by using drugs, he later didn't need the drugs to produce the trance states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I enjoyed those books but I could never understand the people who believed them to be non-fiction.
one technique of his i recall utilizing many years ago produced very fun results. i think he called it body doubling but i'm not sure now. in the exercise, you put your physical body to sleep remembering the precise position you had lain your body when you fell asleep. then when your consciousness awakens within the dream, you find a comfortable place, lay your dream body down in the very same position as you had left your physical body and dream your dream body back to sleep.

so in my estimation, while a lot of his work seems fictional, at least some of the experiences he describes about dreaming (whether he actually experienced it or just reported upon it) can be independently exerienced in very similar ways by other lucid dreamers.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Oprah's had two shows about it, I hope she's not buying into this.
She is promoting it on her show because she already believes in the spriritual principals. IMHO, she's not very smart or well read, despite her book club. Despite this, I like her a lot.

Much of The Secret can be found in Buddhist wisdom, as well as in many other spiritual teachings. They've repackaged and tried to sell it to the masses with that cheesy DVD. Oh well. If it leads people to think about their lives differently, then it's all good.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

i agree. if nothing more than people living their lives in a more fruitful and positive manner...whats the harm
Old 03-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

I read a review of The Secret (can't recall where now) in which the author gave it a thumbs down for some very good reasons...He mentioned that Oprah recently attended the groundbreaking ceremony of a school for underprivleged girls she established in South Africa, and couldn't stop talking about herself and what a proud moment it was for her. The author (who obviously took a dim view of Oprah and this latest fad she's been busy pimping) added that it made him physically sick to contemplate these South African girls being told that their poverty was their own fault.

Yeah, no, think I'm gonna pass...
tikitoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #36
Dryer sheet aficionado

From what I've read/heard, it's not for me.

It's been widely reported on various media platforms that the author suggests to avoid looking at fat people if you want to lose weight. That is her weight loss recommendation.

That recommendation and a quarter will get you a telephone call.

Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:09 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

I borrowed this book from the library and read it like a reference book. Someone in an earlier post had mentioned the book "The Power of Positive Thinking". It is very similar. There is some truth to its message but also some dangers. For example, if you visualize yourself cancer free, you will be.
janeeyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #38

I think there is some truth in what the gist of The Secret is. I haven't watched it, just saw the first Oprah show. However, I think much of it is common sense. It is true that if you spend all your time focussing on your negativity you can never appreciate the good things in your life. However, I did not feel inclined to pay any amount to hear more of the same.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:35 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your thoughts really do determine your life. That is no secret, but it's 'obviousness' does cause many people to dismiss this truth.

Personally, I start each day with a bit of positive motivation. I read somethng uplifiting for a few minutes right when I wake up . Then, I think about my wonderful life, the vibrant health I enjoy, and all the wealth (especially the non-material) I have in my life. This makes me remember how truly blessed I am. I think about that and it fills me with gratitude. Then I decide to have a great day. I don't need "the Secret" to teach me that.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/59615/print/

The Secret

March 14, 2007 | Issue 43•11

The Secret—the new self-help book and DVD that purports to channel ancient wisdom and claims that if you ask the universe for something, it will be delivered—has become a nationwide phenomenon. Here are some of the book's tips:

You deserve whatever you want no matter how awful you are

Try not to use any critical-thinking skills or logic when pondering concept of The Secret

Capitalizing on basic human feelings such as greed can bring you vast wealth

Eat a hearty breakfast every day

Please allow universe six to eight millennia to deliver

You can never be too tan

The Secret does not work if you are attempting to learn it from stolen, bootlegged, or borrowed products from Prime Time Productions