Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: New Video called the secret. I just viewed it and I found it enlightening. have you heard about the
never heard of it, not interested 46 38.98%
never heard of it, will look into it 18 15.25%
heard of it, intrigued 11 9.32%
saw the video, recommend it 4 3.39%
saw it and WOW... enlightened!!!!!! 1 0.85%
Heard of it, same old message repackaged 38 32.20%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Re: " THE SECRET "
Old 03-18-2007, 02:16 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i'm not saying that you shouldn't participate in life and be as positive as is appropriate to a given situation. but when you live life thinking you control all its aspects, all you do is delude yourself and feed your ego. when you live life as an observing participant, instead of being blinded by ego, you give yourself the opportunity to learn from even hardship in life.
LG4NB, this piece of wisdom is priceless. I think this is how I got to FIRE... understanding what I had control over and what I didn't have control over. I could control my spending, I could control my investing, but couldn't necessarily control whether I got a raise or bonus at work.

I saw "The Secret", really wanting to be inspired by it, but I thought it was dangerous drivel. The most annoying thing was that they say if you want to be rich, you should think like someone who is already rich... not worrying about money. Check out this youtube video for some of the ideas about riches they want you to visualize:

"I have more riches than Kind Solomon's Mines"
"Money falls like an avalanche over me"
"I have more than enough money for everything I want"
"I have the best of everything"
"No matter what I want, If I believe and know it is mine, the answer must be 'Your wish is my command'"

and my favorites:

"There is more money being printed for me right now"
"I am receiving unexpected checks in the mail"

Yes positive thinking is useful when you are visualizing success, but these are visualizations of ego-fueled failure. Did anyone see the movie Wall Street, about 80's greed? I could imagine the main character Gordon Gecko watching "The Secret" while snorting cocaine off a prostitute's breasts in the back of his stretch limousine.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Saturday Night Live had a skit about "The Secret" last night...

Anyone see it? It was great!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:32 AM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Alex,

Do you have a book/website you read each morning for the 'something uplifting'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
Your thoughts really do determine your life. That is no secret, but it's 'obviousness' does cause many people to dismiss this truth.

Personally, I start each day with a bit of positive motivation. I read somethng uplifiting for a few minutes right when I wake up . Then, I think about my wonderful life, the vibrant health I enjoy, and all the wealth (especially the non-material) I have in my life. This makes me remember how truly blessed I am. I think about that and it fills me with gratitude. Then I decide to have a great day. I don't need "the Secret" to teach me that.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:34 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
Alex,

http://www.greatday.com/

Choose freedom
Freedom is difficult work. It would be much easier to let yourself be enslaved by the opinions of others, by your desire for comfort and familiarity, or by your quest for empty sensations.

Yet freedom it well worth the effort. For it makes a whole world of wonderful things possible.

True freedom demands that you think for yourself and live with an authentic, meaningful purpose that is uniquely you. Those things require effort, commitment, creativity and persistence.

If freedom is to endure in your life, it must be supported by your own responsibility. For without responsibility, freedom quickly decays into meaningless anarchy.

Freedom can be intimidating, because it constantly asks you to make decisions. Yet that is also what makes freedom so liberating, for it gives you the power to choose.

You have within you the desire, the ability and the strength to live with freedom. Choose freedom, nourish and support it, and that freedom will bring real richness to your world.

-- Ralph Marston
Old 03-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #45

Thanks, Alex! Great site!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful_Warrior
Alex,

i have an I-POD loaded with positve stuff: brian tracy, Ed Foreman, dennis waitley, earl nightengale, maryanne williamson, luanne oakes, paul pearsall, zig ziglar, et.al....
i also visit a site : http://www.motivation123.com/ so I am armed against the daily newspaper and assorted other negative stuff.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker

It's been reported widely report on various media platforms that the author suggest to avoid looking at fat people if you want to lose weight. That is her weight loss recommendation.
So the solution is that I should go around staring at slender, fit people? I just knew there must be an easy solution to this weight problem. :
Old 03-22-2007, 05:24 PM   #48
Confused about dryer sheets

I haven't seen it, but there are several books that have been published about "positive thinking" and I haven't read those either. I don't think anyone would have to read any books when all you need to do is follow your dreams and desires and and don't have negative thoughts which brings negative energy. I believe whatever you put your mind to doing you can do as long as you don't have any doubts. I'm living proof of that, but won't go into the details. But I have conquered all my dreams so far and have many more to go and it all boils down to "positive thinking".
Old 03-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Same old, same old. I don't buy the "happy thoughs make you healthy and rich" argument, but I do think that they make you feel more in control of your situation, which may make you more likely to take the actions that lead to prosperity (financial or otherwise).

That said, the bit about losing weight by refusing to look at fat people is just idiotic...
Old 03-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe
So the solution is that I should go around staring at slender, fit people? I just knew there must be an easy solution to this weight problem. :
hahahaha Sooo, if I stare at Angelina Jolie's picture long enough I'll be drop dead gorgeous or better yet, maybe I'll wake up next to Brad Pitt!
Old 03-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
Sooo, if I stare at Angelina Jolie's picture long enough I'll be drop dead gorgeous or better yet, maybe I'll wake up next to Brad Pitt!
Careful. You could just end up getting an uncontrollable urge to jet around the world and adopt a bunch of kids.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:37 PM   #52
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube_rat
hahahaha Sooo, if I stare at Angelina Jolie's picture long enough I'll be drop dead gorgeous or better yet, maybe I'll wake up next to Brad Pitt!
I'd better stop then...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote