Join Early Retirement Today

The Social Side of RV Camping - Rallies
Old 04-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm starting this new thread in response to a question posed to me on another thread. I was asked by AJ to expound on rallies. Here goes.

DW and I bought a 3 year old Airstream trailer a year before retirement (3 years ago). We expected to spend time traveling around the USA and Canada by ourselves.

However, we started reading the Airstream forum (similar to this one) at Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Owners Community . We discovered Airstreamers had a formal club (the WBCCI) which hosts rallies and caravans. We also discovered there are a number of independent rallies organized on Airforums. Soon after acquiring our trailer we visited one of the larger independent Airstream rallies in January 2011 at Santa Rosa Beach, Florida. There we met some wonderful people who have been camping together for a number of years. They invited us to meet them for another gathering at an Alabama state park in the spring which we did. We now meet up with this core group 3 or 4 times per year. Plus we joined the WBCCI and belong to a unit that schedules monthly rallies in the southeastern region. We attend 2-3 of those rallies per year and have met some great folks there. Lots of early retirees in both groups and great people to be with.

Currently we camp about 100 nights per year. I'd say 25-30% of the time is related to meeting other Airstream friends at rallies. The remaining time we spend traveling on our own. The social aspect of camping was totally unexpected for us but has been a wonderful addition to our retirement experience.

Note that other brands have clubs and there are some non brand clubs and forums as well. So you can get a flavor for these rallies I'll attach a link to videos made of a few recent Airstream rallies. I'll be happy to answer specific questions on this thread or via PM.

Canopener 2014 Airstream Rally

Alumanlina 2013 Rally

Alumapalooza 2010

Airstream Europe Gathering 2013

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing this NC. Hadn't even occurred to me that there would be "camping clubs" so to speak. It sounds pretty fun and I will definitely do some inline research on them. I love the idea of hanging around the campfire, strumming the guitar, singing some songs and shooting the bull. Maybe there's a picking and grinning camper's club out there! Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs56 View Post
Maybe there's a picking and grinning camper's club out there!
No doubt there is. See what you can find here: RV Clubs Directory | Funroads RV Travel

Better yet, google "(your state) RV clubs"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are lots of groups out there - many are specific to a RV manufacturer, suc as Forest River Owners Group, there are RV specific groups, such as for truck campers, etc, and also some by hobbies : canoeing... We are just not group camping people. We are on the road about half the time, and prefer our own agendas. But, there are still people we meet occasionally or talk with in online communities. Many own plots of land across the country and permit people known to them to camp free a few days. Look around, you'll find them.

Also, check out Rv.net which has large sub forums broken down by a RV class, geographic areas, and publicizes many clubs and rallies. A great learning spot, as well.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #5

I second rv.net. It is a great forum. I am doing a build log there on the camper we are building which will be our only home. Just installed the NovaKool DC fridge this past weekend!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #6

Looks like fun! You have me thinking about them now.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

AJ,

Lots of picking and strumming going on around campfires all over the country. For the most part RV owners are great people. I've found them to be extremely friendly, helpful, fun loving and sociable. They put on some great pot luck dinners!

Another dimension of the RV camping life I didn't mention was caravans which are essentially themed rolling rallies with multiple stops. The WBCCI and other groups will organize trips to various locations. Some are as few as a few days and others last as many as two months. Destinations for the caravans of 20 or so trailers and/or motorhomes include the Alaska Highway, Newfoundland, the Lewis & Clark route, a tour of the southwest, a trip down the Atlantic seaboard, etc. There are clubs that organize caravans and private companies in the business. The WBCCI website has a good description of caravans and some detailed descriptions of some of the WBCCI caravan trips.

Buying the travel trailer and hitting the road has been the best thing we've done in retirement. I hope to see you out here someday!

Chuck (Florida 55 on Airforums.com)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

My wife and I intend to do a lot more RVing once retired. We have a motorhome, and I can take one of my old cars along on the trailer. Plan to hit a lot more car shows, and see a lot of the country. We will have to see about some of the social clubs. It seems a good chance to meet folks with similar RV or other interests.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #9

We bought our Airstream Argosy from a guy who was very active on the AIRforum.com site. What was nicest about it was we could see his entire renovation through his posts about the process, and felt more confident in the workmanship because we could see it. And it helped when we had to do our own work in later years. Hidden benefit of participating on those forums for sure!

Ours is a 1976 28 MH. I always thought we'd get active in the rally stuff when we ran out of overseas travel we wanted to do. It does look like a lot of fun!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This thread makes me feel like an anti-social.

We may make small talks with neighbor RV'ers in a campground, but have not participated in any rally or event. As introverts, we would be worn out in a short time.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We may make small talks with neighbor RV'ers in a campground, but have not participated in any rally or event. As introverts, we would be worn out in a short time.
+1

We aren't club/rally participants. Being nice to other people is too much work.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Being nice to other people is too much work.

Spoken like a true introvert!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Spoken like a true introvert!
No, more like a cranky geezer. "Get off my RV pad!"

Unlike me, who is a "kinder and gentler" introvert.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
No, more like a cranky geezer. "Get off my RV pad!"

Unlike me, who is a "kinder and gentler" introvert.
I agree with you and you respond by claiming to be nicer than I am?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:17 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I can identify with this. Plus, it seems like most campers have a different outlook on life - as in they aren't the kind of people that I'd seek out in my own town or neighborhood.

Or maybe I'm just a snob.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I agree with you and you respond by claiming to be nicer than I am?
Well, I think you agreed with me for the wrong reason there.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:43 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I can identify with this. Plus, it seems like most campers have a different outlook on life - as in they aren't the kind of people that I'd seek out in my own town or neighborhood.

Or maybe I'm just a snob.
No, we have to ask ourselves if we want to befriend somebody like ourselves.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #18

Yes, it appears I did.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #19

I think it's pretty funny that a thread about the social side of RV'ing is now getting a lot of comments from folk who are talking about the anti-social side of RV'ing

Mind you, what else would we expect from a bunch of ER's, given that we established a long time ago the over-abundance of introverts here?

Truth be told, I'm the same. I do like to know my neighbors well enough to be able to do occasional favors for them, and to ask them in return but beyond that, I'm not into a great deal of socializing. I imagine I'd be the same if RV'ing. This leopard is not about to change his spots!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I was just kidding in above posts.

I recently told a story of entertaining a life-long friend back from high school in "the old country". I have not seen him in person for perhaps 11 years, and we exchanged emails once every 2 years. I invited him and his wife to spend a week, but his wife could not make it, and he came to stay only 2 nights.

On the 2nd night, I felt we ran out of things to talk about, so put on a DVD and we watched it together. Tells how talkative I am in real life.

Tags
airstream, camping, rally