Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks Akaisha and Billy. Have been enjoyed following your adventures and the pictures! Thanks for connecting us to the Terhorsts. Was visiting Paul's website sometime back and there was this fantasic picture! Wow!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:04 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Nords - I googled Soi Cowboy.

heh heh heh - soooo dress Dickies overall's for Bankok nightlife versus my old Jimmy Buffett shirts from my Bourbon Street past.

eh?
Perhaps Nords was refering to "Dickies" in another sense...

Jimmy Buffet shirts would be just fine on Soi Cowboy

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #23

DanTien
Quote:
Thanks Akaisha and Billy. Have been enjoyed following your adventures and the pictures! Thanks for connecting us to the Terhorsts. Was visiting Paul's website sometime back and there was this fantasic picture! Wow!
Fun photo, isn't it? That was all of us during our time at Kata Beach this year. Gorgeous place... Thanks for taking the time to view -- Paul has a really engaging style of writing. He is quite gifted at it. I always have a chuckle when I read his pieces. Always learn something too.
Lance:
Quote:
Perhaps Nords was refering to "Dickies" in another sense... Jimmy Buffet shirts would be just fine on Soi Cowboy
Hey, Lance! ... left me speechless here... heh heh heh...

Billy took me to Soi Cowboy and to Patpong Road (?) a few years back. We went with another couple we knew. I was game for it, since I thought I had 'been around the block a few times' and didn't think I could or would be shocked at anything.. boy was I wrong! I came home that night and took a really hot shower. I didn't know what else I could do... ... :confused:

So glad to know I can still learn new things!

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-08-2007, 09:13 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy View Post
Billy took me to Soi Cowboy and to Patpong Road (?) a few years back. We went with another couple we knew. I was game for it, since I thought I had 'been around the block a few times' and didn't think I could or would be shocked at anything.. boy was I wrong! I came home that night and took a really hot shower. I didn't know what else I could do... ... :confused:

So glad to know I can still learn new things!

Be well,

Akaisha
I always thought it was a cold shower, or are you young ones, changing the rules?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignExchange View Post
I always thought it was a cold shower, or are you young ones, changing the rules?
It just depends on how much change you expected to get back from your quarter.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you should prefer to remain blissfully ignorant...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:00 PM   #26

FX:
Quote:
Nah, -- remember, I'm a girl and those situations don't affect me in the same ... uh.... energetic way, if you get my drift. heh heh. I was grateful for the experience, but I simply wanted to wash it all down the drain and come out... um... fresh!

Nords
Quote:
It just depends on how much change you expected to get back from your quarter. If you don't understand what I'm talking about then you should prefer to remain blissfully ignorant...

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 07-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Years ago, when I first visited Thailand with my wife, we stayed at a relatives house in Bangkok. Taking a shower consisted of the scoop and splash method. Temperature of the water depended on time of day. In the afternoon or evening, no problem, the water was usually warm. In the morning, especially in the cool season, with the first few splashes you literally jumped backwards, the water was so cold. Then a few years later, it was progression to a shower head, and a few years after that, a small electric water heater was affixed to the bathroom wall. Now, I feel lucky that I can automatically adjust the water temperature, since I also know that the Thai poor, who probably make up the majority of the country, can't afford a simple water heater.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:25 PM   #28

Fx:
Quote:
Now, I feel lucky that I can automatically adjust the water temperature, since I also know that the Thai poor, who probably make up the majority of the country, can't afford a simple water heater.
You are absolutely right, FX. Those of us considering ER and who have already ER'd are so blessed financially! When I consider how other cultures live around the world I have to laugh when someone thinks we're depriving ourselves in the style of ER we have chosen...

Sometimes I wanna say 'get a grip, my friend... we all live light years away from a good deal of the world's population!' When someone has millions in the bank and is still that fretful, are they wealthy or poor?

Thanks for bringing your point to the forum, FX.

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Those of us considering ER and who have already ER'd are so blessed financially! When I consider how other cultures live around the world I have to laugh when someone thinks we're depriving ourselves in the style of ER we have chosen...

Sometimes I wanna say 'get a grip, my friend... we all live light years away from a good deal of the world's population!' When someone has millions in the bank and is still that fretful, are they wealthy or poor?
Quote of the year! Well said, Akaisha.

When I was a young kid in Vietnam, I attended a French school. All teachers were from France. Most of them have one thing in common: They don't ever want to leave Vietnam. Back in France, they would be leading a low middle class life, constantly struggling with money. In Vietnam they live a high upper class life: No cooking, no house cleaning, no laundry. And they get the respect given to educators that's almost non-existent in their native country. 1975 was as hard on me as it was on them.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
When I was a young kid in Vietnam, I attended a French school. All teachers were from France. Most of them have one thing in common: They don't ever want to leave Vietnam. Back in France, they would be leading a low middle class life, constantly struggling with money. In Vietnam they live a high upper class life: No cooking, no house cleaning, no laundry. And they get the respect given to educators that's almost non-existent in their native country. 1975 was as hard on me as it was on them.
I had the good fortune to be posted with the air force reserve to Metz France during summer break from University. With overseas hardship allowance, I was making 4x what a graduate engineer in France was making. And I also had the benefits of a strong dollar, cheap gas ($0.25/gal) and cheap liquor ($0.10/oz). After 5 months, I sadly had to return home to take my graduating year.

Flash foward to the late 90s and I saw the same thing with British ex-pats in Malaysia and The Phillipines. They all decided never to return home and would just get another assignment with another company when threatened with a company return home. They had their own social class, living like the upper class yet not accepted in native upper class social circles.

In 2005, we saw the same phenomenon amongst retired Brits and Germans in Andulusia Spain when we visited some friends from California who were living there for 3 years to immerse their young children in Spanish culture.

I suspect that PTs like those in this thread are enjoying the same lifestyle.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

I picked up a copy of "Cashing in on the American Dream" after stumbling upon it by chace at a "Books A Million" bargain bin almost 15 years ago. I'm still working, but that book was my 'lightbulb moment'. I'm still working, but that book provided me with a template which has put me into a position to ER now.

My plan had been to ER about 6 years down the road from now, but circumstancces may cause it to happen earlier. If so, I am more or less ready...in large measure due to that book.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Flash foward to the late 90s and I saw the same thing with British ex-pats in Malaysia and The Phillipines. They all decided never to return home and would just get another assignment with another company when threatened with a company return home. They had their own social class, living like the upper class yet not accepted in native upper class social circles.
interesting to read this because i was just reading last night on thaivisa.com a thread about Adjusting To Leaving Thailand - Thailand Forum

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Quote:
Quote of the year! Well said, Akaisha.
Thanks, Sam...

Quote:
I didn't realize you were from Vietnam or had lived there for many years. Thanks for that insight. We loved our visit to Vietnam (Travel Stories VIETNAM Hotel & Travel Info VIETNAM HOTELS, TRAVEL INFO) and I would love to return. Food was great, people were quick minded, landscape was gorgeous, transport and lodging was affordable. Artwork/handicrafts were outstanding.

KCowan
Quote:
I suspect that PTs like those in this thread are enjoying the same lifestyle.
I do think that is one of the attractions PT's have; To live in various cultures where 1st world money goes a long way.

Glen12
Quote:
I picked up a copy of "Cashing in on the American Dream" after stumbling upon it by chace at a "Books A Million" bargain bin almost 15 years ago. I'm still working, but that book was my 'lightbulb moment'....circumstancces may cause it to happen earlier. If so, I am more or less ready...in large measure due to that book.
I understand. Paul and Vicki rightly deserve credit here. When we read their book years ago, we had read several - books on fulltime RV'ing, PTing (although it wasn't called that then) and others. Billy used their book as a template for some aspects of our own retirement.

Money or Kiplingers magazine did an update on them in 1992 or 93 and we found out they were living in Austin, TX at the time. I simply called them up and said, "Hi, my name is Akaisha and we'd like to meet you..." My biggest shock was that Vicki picked up the phone herself. I expected they would have an unlisted number or an answering machine!

lg4n
Quote:
interesting to read this because i was just reading last night on thaivisa.com a thread about Adjusting To Leaving Thailand - Thailand Forum
That is pretty insightful - thanks for sharing!

Be well,
Akaisha
Old 07-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #34

Quote:
I didn't realize you were from Vietnam
Guilty.

Quote:
We loved our visit to Vietnam... Food was great,
I get all exited whenever someone mentions food, especially when served by street vendors. The smell, the taste, the variety, the price, the ambience. OK, time for lunch.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #35

One time Billy and I were at a Bia Hoi (HANOI, VIETNAM ) drinking our 10 cent beers and these vendors came along, one after another selling delectable items they grilled right in front of our eyes. Fish, chicken, vegetables... There is a photo of that Bia Hoi in the story above. Be sure to see the man on the left who is smoking a sort of hookah pipe.... ?

Really good memories, Sam. I want to go back. The lacquerware is phenomenal. Have you been to Vietnam in recent years? Any desire?

Be well,

Akaisha
Old 07-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #36

Akaisha, that man is smoking "thuoc re", regular, natural, inexpensive and strong tabacco.

Last time I was in Hanoi was 1995. I'm familiar with the places in your photos, except the bridge. I landed in Saigon and backpacked all the way to Hanoi (Dalat, Nha Trang, Qui Nhon, Danang, Hue, Halong bay). It was a very memorable trip. That was the first time I knew North Vietnam.

Oh yeah, I love to go back. I'm dreaming of going there later this year. I'd love to arrive in Hanoi, buy a bicycle, and ride slowy to Saigon. It would probably take a month. Now if I only had the courage and determination. We'll see