Join Early Retirement Today

The Thai Weinerschnitzel COLA Index in Thailand...
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

The Thai Weinerschnitzel COLA Index in Thailand...

I love Weinerschnitzel (even if I can't spell it...)

However, when I first deplaned in Thailand around January 2003, I could get an EXCELLENT Weinerschitnzel meal including fried potatos, salad and small Beer Chang for B130 or $3.25 USD @ B40/USD. Today I enjoyed my same beloved WS meal at the same restaurant but the price had increased to B190 and in USD terms -gulp- $5.43 @ B35/USD.

Yeah, I know it's still cheap compared to USA or other developed nation prices, but that does not matter to me, I live in Thailand and it is a whopping 67% increase for old Lance.

My personal budget in USD terms is now about $15k per year, up $3k from when I first arived. Of course on a month to month basis I have spent as little as $750 / month to over $2,000, depending on how much travel and/or night life I had partaken in and who was visiting me.

Don't get me wrong, I love living abroad, but the cost of doing so is increasingly on the rise :

Lance (Happily stuffed full of WS...)

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Thai Weinerschnitzel COLA Index in Thailand...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Only about 30% or so of the price increase can be attributed to the weak dollar. In 2003 the exchange rate was around ~43 TBhat per dollar. Today it's around 33 Thbhat per dollar for a drop of around 30 percent or so.

So part of your junk food pain is exchange rate and part is der InflationSchnitzel
Attached Images
File Type: png ThaiBhat.png (2.8 KB, 7 views)
Attached Files
File Type: png_thumb ThaiBhat.png_thumb (7.0 KB, 0 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #3

Lancelot,

You should see what's happening here (US) This 3% inflation rate here is a joke. I am constantly remodeling my rental properties and I can tell you that materials are up 50 to 75% on most things. Prices are increasing here daily, so though I agree that is a big jump (your restaurant meal) - You are still way ahead of the game there. $15,000 a year here would only buy a family health insurance and maybe gas for the year.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterblaster
So part of your junk food pain is exchange rate and part is der InflationSchnitzel
No argument there
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter

Lancelot,You should see what's happening here (US) This 3% inflation rate here is a joke. I am constantly remodeling my rental properties and I can tell you that materials are up 50 to 75% on most things. Prices are increasing here daily, so though I agree that is a big jump (your restaurant meal) - You are still way ahead of the game there. $15,000 a year here would only buy a family health insurance and maybe gas for the year.
Yes but...

OK, I hear what you are saying.

But why couldn't the Weinerschitznel Index track the McDonalds Index?!? A regular hamburger is still B19, same as when I first arrived :

Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancelot
But why couldn't the Weinerschitznel Index track the McDonalds Index?!? A regular hamburger is still B19, same as when I first arrived :
Are you sure you want to know what "meat" is in either of those higher-priced items?

I think I'll stick to pad thai...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

2 hour oil massage for 800THB.

That would cost me at least $160USD and some very dirty looks.
PPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Are you sure you want to know what "meat" is in either of those higher-priced items?

Be careful of what you ask for !

Along those lines I post the following news item from Korea...

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA -- Fans attending World Cup soccer matches in South Korea this summer will be offered free hot dogs, but there's a catch.

The franks will be made with real dog meat.

The National Dog Meat Restaurant Association said it wants to take the world stage to "promote dog meat as a food and end the prejudice against it," spokesman Choi Han-kwon told Reuters news service.

Choi said the group also would be handing out free samples of spicy dog stew and a dog-meat tonic juice.

I guess they would call that a Jindo-Dog. Mmmmm
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPT
2 hour oil massage for 800THB.

That would cost me at least $160USD and some very dirty looks.
Hmmmmm, I last paid B200 for a two hour traditional Thai massage in Bangkok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

The price or Pad Thai has remained at B25 per dish at my local plastic chair restaurant.

Oh, I asked about the "origins" of the meat and I was assured that both establishments were 100% canine free (They didn't mention rats, kangaroos, buffalos...)

Lance

Old 05-16-2007, 09:53 PM   #9

Wow. At my local eat-in Mexican fast food restaurant here in downtown San Jose, California, which has benches better than plastic chairs, I get a Super Burrito (carne asada) for $4.99, tax included. This is all I can eat and I have a decent appetite. I just drink water with it which they provide (chilled).

At my other excellent, just remodeled Mexican fast food restaurant with real booths to sit in, I get an even better Super Burrito (carne asada) with a large Horchata (my favorite sweetened rice drink/juice) for $5.93, tax included.

At my local McDonald's, I can get a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries, Medium Diet Coke for $4.97 including tax.

Yesterday, I went more upscale to a chain fast food restaurant since I was out and about. Again a Super Burrito that was quite good and big, chips, real salsa bar, large drink, for $7.95, tax included. That was a little upscale for me, so I probably won't repeat since there are better deals to be had at my usual Mexican haunts above.

Kramer
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Interesting stuff Sir Lancelot.

See you for that beer in Sept.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:47 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are keeping our exports alive via the weak $... But it is hurting us in other ways.

Isn't it amazing how the last 7 years have just put the US in the world crapper!

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer
Wow. At my local eat-in Mexican fast food restaurant here in downtown San Jose, California, which has benches better than plastic chairs, I get a Super Burrito (carne asada) for $4.99, tax included. This is all I can eat and I have a decent appetite. I just drink water with it which they provide (chilled).

At my other excellent, just remodeled Mexican fast food restaurant with real booths to sit in, I get an even better Super Burrito (carne asada) with a large Horchata (my favorite sweetened rice drink/juice) for $5.93, tax included.

At my local McDonald's, I can get a Quarter Pounder with Cheese, Large Fries, Medium Diet Coke for $4.97 including tax.

Yesterday, I went more upscale to a chain fast food restaurant since I was out and about. Again a Super Burrito that was quite good and big, chips, real salsa bar, large drink, for $7.95, tax included. That was a little upscale for me, so I probably won't repeat since there are better deals to be had at my usual Mexican haunts above.

Kramer
Great prices Kramer! Good to know that there are still bargains to be had back home

Old 05-17-2007, 07:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

OK - my mind is still reeling from the concept that you can get proper Weinerschnitzel in Thailand!

Audrey
Old 05-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #14

Sure they didn't give you the "gringo" menu? All kidding aside, that doesn't sound like a typical Thai dish, so perhaps the Weinerschnitzel had to be imported. Just a thought.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
OK - my mind is still reeling from the concept that you can get proper Weinerschnitzel in Thailand!

Audrey
forget 'proper' ... it's amazing to me that you can get anything that resembles WS in thailand...
Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Quote:
All kidding aside, that doesn't sound like a typical Thai dish, so perhaps the Weinerschnitzel had to be imported.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee
forget 'proper' ... it's amazing to me that you can get anything that resembles WS in thailand...
Hence my cynical assessment of the pedigree and the ingredients...

Quote:
The price or Pad Thai has remained at B25 per dish at my local plastic chair restaurant.
Well, that's good. We have a slug of international investments against a falling dollar, but I'm still amazed at how quickly the dollar's collapsed against the baht. I don't care about being priced out of Venice but I'd hate to lose Thailand.

Quote:
Hmmmmm, I last paid B200 for a two hour traditional Thai massage in Bangkok.
It's even better to know that the best things in life are still cheap!

One day I'm going to "import" a Thai massage business to our neighborhood. I'll be able to stagger out of a tae kwon do practice, go through the showers enroute next door, and start the healing immediately...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 05-17-2007, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:

Audrey
Oh but you can because there are so many German tourists here.
Quote:
Sure they didn't give you the "gringo" menu? All kidding aside, that doesn't sound like a typical Thai dish, so perhaps the Weinerschnitzel had to be imported. Just a thought.
I doubt it was imported meat, but with substantial numbers of tourists here the enterprising Thais rise to meet the market demands. The potatoes were fried with bits of egg, bacon and onion, complete with a small salad flavored with that bitter vinegar like dressing that compliments the dish so well IMHO.

Actually I also ate some delicious German food in the Philippines as well. Same deal, substantial numbers of German tourists there also

But the Brits, Australians and Americans were wolfing der chow down too

Old 05-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I once had a pizza in a German restaurant in Japan...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I once had a pizza in a German restaurant in Japan...
With corn & squid on top, like the Yokosuka Shakey's?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh but you can because there are so many German tourists here.
I doubt it was imported meat, but with substantial numbers of tourists here the enterprising Thais rise to meet the market demands. :
My guess would be that the meat might be pork-thus Schweineschnitzel! I have a German friend who ran a delicatessen/restaurant and served this. He correctly identified it on the menu- but he told me that much of what we order in America restaurants as weinerschnitzel is actually pork. I started making it at home. I'd slice a cutlet off a fresh pork leg, or bone out a top loin and slice it really thin.

Really really good! I sometimes made "veal" marsala with pork too.

Ha