"The True Happiness Growth Quiz"

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
Caution: my coffee hasn't finished brewing yet.

A nice thing about ER is the time afforded for reflection and deep thinking. And when I can afford a deep thinker, I look to... Deepak Chopra & Tony, excuse me, Anthony Robbins. At least these guys can sure pile it deep, but I'm hardly in a position to make fun of the messengers.

When I was at engineering school we used to measure "happiness" as the quotient of the [number of days of vacation] divided by the [number of days until vacation]. I thought that same formula would work for ER but apparently a lot of progress has been made since then, as witnessed by the following.

Dr. Chopra's Growth Inventory:
1. Are you curious about how things work?
2. Are you nurturing & improving your relationships?
3. Do you take time to play?
4. Do you spend time with nature?
5. Do you exercise regularly?
6. Do you meditate or pray?
7. Do you work with a spirit of service?
8. Do you know the meaning & purpose of your life?
9. Do you have heroes/role models from legend, mythology, history, or religion?
10. Are you aware of your unique talents?

Robbins' Growth Inventory:
1. In the last six months what new skill, activity, or hobby have you tackled with relish, and how have you pushed yourself beyond your usual limits?
2. What have you read, listened to, or witnessed that has changed your perspective on life?
3. How have you expanded your social circle beyond your usual peer group?
4. What have you done recently to help others or to contribute to a cause by sharing your skill?
5. When was the last time you took a vacation and what new place did you find fascinating?
6. What romantic surprises have you cooked up for your mate?
7. How have you improved your home environment?
8. What are you doing to enhance your spiritual life?
9. What serious challenge have you had recently and what did you learn from it?
10. What are you doing to strengthen & tone your body or to make yourself healthier & more attractive?

Aaaaah... freshly-ground Kona. This "quiz" was shamelessly plagiarized from page 66 of the 9 Nov 04 Family Circle. Next time my spouse asks for library magazines I'm bringing home "The Economist".

1.  Are you curious about how things work?

Honestly, one of the things I'm most curious about is why people listen to these "gurus." I long for the days when people are so engaged with life that they no longer have time to listen to tripe.

Honestly, one of the things I'm most curious about is why people listen to these "gurus."   I long for the days when people are so engaged with life that they no longer have time to listen to tripe.

Wab: No reason to long for the days. Stay busy in your own life, don't listen to CNN, have like minded friends,
and you will eventually treat all of the bull---- served up as exactly that.
Jarhead

ex-Jarhead
Stay busy in your own life, don't listen to CNN, have like minded friends,

This has been one of the biggest problems to deal with my whole life. "Like minded friends"

I do not have a drinking problem
I never beat or cheat-on my wife
I'm not even married, nor divorced, nor have children

I never did drugs
I was not ever mired in debt
I always had plenty of money for what I needed even when I was 18 yrs old and commenseratly poor
I didn't piss money away on BS
I did't make excuses for why I didn't "have mine"

I seemed to piss people off just by being there. And I never have run into anyone else with the same world-view

Re: Speaking of big surf...

Hey, Ronin, what a coincidence-- Bruce Irons won the Eddie Aikau yesterday with a 100-point ride on a 50-footer all the way to the beach. Great photos!

http://starbulletin.com/2004/12/16/sports/story1.html

The video on the local news was thrilling - especially since I just finished the Coleman biography. Jaws was running 30-50ft faces. Guy Hagi was calling for the largest swell since 1998 so I braved the crowds and the dusty drive through the pineapple field. Every time I go, there are more skis out, and more spectators. It wasn't as big as last years Jan 10th swell which had 70ft faces.

Back
Top Bottom