Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Ugly Thai...
Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Like, how would you interpret it when a guy at a cockfight picks up his bird and French kisses its anus?
OK, I'll bite. What is the correct response? I assume it's not bowing.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
Like, how would you interpret it when a guy at a cockfight picks up his bird and French kisses its anus?
Yes, that would be flirting.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
OK, I'll bite. What is the correct response? I assume it's not bowing.
I can tell you one thing for sure- the guy who administered this avian beso negro was not smiling.

Ha
Old 03-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
For example, the items in item number 2 were told to me directly, indirectly and in other ways from some business people I met in Japan and news reporters I knew there.
Yes, that's the one. Probably not distributed by the Japan Visitors & Convention Bureau, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Ha is right. We have a number of close friends from France, other Asia and Latin America. Among other things, they all say that the grinning, too-eager-to-laugh American stereotype (in their home culture, at least) comes out as being kind of goofy, someone you wouldn't take seriously, kind of low-brow, etc.
And smiling at another man's wife or girl friend can generate a lot more jealousy than it normally would here. If you don't wish to inadvertently offend, it's best to initially play it safe.
Other: many places, grown-up don't wear shorts or jeans other than for soccer or working in the garden.
If you don't care whether you are offending, well, I guess you're just reinforcing the stereotype of Ugly American.
Heck, I come out that way among our neighbors & acquaintances... you know, the ones who think I'm ER'd because I can't hold a job with my goofy low-brow habits.

I can understand "Ugly American" for those who dress scantily in churches/memorials or who won't bother to learn the language or complain loudly/publicly or who behave as if they're uproariously drunk. But as for the jealousy & the dress code... those folks need to get a life.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

How can anyone not smile in Thailand? They don't call it the "land of smiles" for nothing.

I also try to blend in with the Thais as much as I possibly can. I'm the quiet type, and conservative in the clothes I wear, so I guess that helps.

One important thing I haven't been able to do yet though, is sit comfortably cross legged on a temple floor.

If I make any mistakes, my wife will be the first to inform me.

ForeignExchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:57 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeignExchange
How can anyone not smile in Thailand? They don't call it the "land of smiles" for nothing.

I also try to blend in with the Thais as much as I possibly can. I'm the quiet type, and conservative in the clothes I wear, so I guess that helps.

One important thing I haven't been able to do yet though, is sit comfortably cross legged on a temple floor.

If I make any mistakes, my wife will be the first to inform me.
I see a lot of non-smiling Thais in Bangkok. They are often a bit gruff with each other, such as not saying thank you when receiving payments or excuse me when bumping in to each other. On the othe hand, if they want something from each other, they can be overly polite and talkative.

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
4. Americans are very friendly and egalitarian in their dealings with people. In many countries in the world the structure is hierarchical. This influences the interaction you have with the locals.
Very accurate observation. Most relationships here are defined by who is the "Poo yi" (big man.) Asians in general are VERY hierarchial and the "superior" person does not tolerate much insolence from the "lower."

I saw a mercedes pull up in front of my old condominum, blocking the exit lane. The security guy runs up and says "You can't park here, move!" The Thai guy inside powers his heavily tinted window down about 2 inches and says "The car has revers gear" then powers it up, disappearing from sight.

The security guard snaps to attention, clicks his heels and salutes; he practicaly ran back to the guard shack.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #48

Quote:
4. Americans are very friendly and egalitarian in their dealings with people. In many countries in the world the structure is hierarchical. This influences the interaction you have with the locals.
Quote:
Very accurate observation. Most relationships here are defined by who is the "Poo yi" (big man.) Asians in general are VERY hierarchial and the "superior" person does not tolerate much insolence from the "lower."
Right.

We were in the process of negotiating our monthly room rate with the owner of our Guest House when Billy went to the office and said to the girls there: "Just tell Charlie we'll pay 'X'. "

The office girl smiled and said "I don't tell Charlie anything."

Billy then realized his grammar mistake and said: "Sorry, I mean, ask Charlie if 'X' is ok.."

Then the office girl says: "Better you talk with him. Better."

Yeah, leave me out of this. I just do what he says. These things are between you and him... and I don't 'tell' the boss anything!

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 03-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #49
Administrator

My own observations for traveling in foreign countries:

1. Please try to learn some basics of the language. At the very least, be able to say hello, goodbye, please and thank you. They will most likely be able to speak English better than you do, but please don't presume. The more of the language you know, the better you will be treated.

2. Remember that many foreign countries are substantially more formal that the US. In many countries, the very language that one uses to address people changes depending on whether they are family and friends or just people in the street. Never use the familiar form unless specifically invited to do so.

3. Do some minimal research about the history and current events of the country you are visiting. If you cannot name the current head of state and the national hero, why are you there?

4. Do a little research so that you will know how to get around once you are there. Imagine how annoying it would be for you to tell someone the fundamentals of using the subway or catching a taxi.

5. For God's sake, keep quiet. Based on my observation, Americans may be the loudest people in the world. My goal in traveling is to be as inobtrusive as possible.

6. Dress conservatively. Leave the shorts, tennis shoes and T-shirts with stupid logos at home. Most of the world wears a collared shirt, long pants and regular shoes. While I have seen young people in jeans in foreign countries, I would never wear them myself (even though it is almost a uniform at home).

7. Remember that this is not a zoo or Disney World for your amusement. These are people living their everyday lives, who have to go to work and go shopping and do all the things you do at home. They may not have the time or inclination to help you because you were too foolish to figure out how to do things on your own. I also suggest a telephoto lens for pictures so that you don't need to get in someone's face with a camera.

8. Be polite and respectful - it doesn't hurt and you may be surprised how it helps.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:37 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

While we're giving travel tips, here's my off the wall tip for men:

Figure out how to keep your nose hair under control.

On my round the world trip, I can't tell you how many european male travellers I ran into who were perfectly shaven, but had big hairs protuding from the proboscis. It seems that when people pack light they tend to forget they will need to trim their nose hairs. Maybe most of their trips in the past have been short enough that they could do it when they returned. But now they're doing a long trip and things are different.

There are lots of ways of trimming nose hair... you can use the beard cutter if you have an electric razor. Some small scissors work. Even nail clippers can do the job.

Especially in Asian countries where they take grooming seriously, not taking care of this could definitely put you into "Ugly American" territory.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4now

What is your off the wall for women?
Old 03-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Quote:
What is your off the wall for women?
While I have to agree with and respect Free4now's comment about the nose hairs, I shudder over what might be the off the wall comment for women!! :

And with all of these travel tips of being quiet, dressing unobtrusively, being conservative both in behavior and speech... I take a look here around the pool at our guest house....

Europeans tatooed and pierced in every place seen and unseen. Hair ratted, dreadlocked, colored from orange to blue, shaved and gelled in styles from early cave man to the jetson's. Smoking like a chimney, drinking like a fish... Quiet is a word they can't spell let alone comprehend.

Just thought I would offer a different perspective -- It's not always the Ugly American m'friends... 8) Why don't we ever hear about them? (Rhetorical question, no need to reply...)

Akaisha
Old 03-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Europeans tatooed and pierced in every place seen and unseen. Hair ratted, dreadlocked, colored from orange to blue, shaved and gelled in styles from early cave man to the jetson's. Smoking like a chimney, drinking like a fish... Quiet is a word they can't spell let alone comprehend.

Akaisha
Akaisha, are you and Billy staying at Pattaya? None shirted profusely tatooed euorpeans are the order of the day down there

One day I was strolling along Beach Road (Pattaya) when, form a distance, I thought I saw a guy wearing a cowboy hat and a long sleeve leopard shirt. As I walked closer, I discovered that he was so heavily tatooed that -from a distance- he looked as if he was wearing a leopard pattern shirt.

Little wonder that some Thais hold all farangs in low regard.

Oh, and his accent was definately not american and he was, well to put it mildly, not quiet

Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #54

Hi Lance!!

No, this is simply at the Top North! And I had forgotten to mention the conversations about the tattooes and piercings I mean, do I wanna know this information?

Quote:
when, form a distance, I thought I saw a guy wearing a cowboy hat and a long sleeve leopard shirt.
Been there, understand that.

Again, here at the Top North -- I saw a woman who was wearing a long sleeved t-shirt under her bathing suit (to protect her from the UV rays?) when, at closer look I realized she had a full upper body tattoo.

The backs of these lovelies have full span Angel wings, or perhaps butterfly wings. some have comic book-like characters... hey, what am I telling you this for? You've been here!

I know many like to talk about how Americans are uncouth and loud,... but please! Our European brothers and sisters (and sometimes Aussies) can give us a run for our money in that department! Let's just be fair here...

See ya!
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirment