The Ultimate ER Story

RetireRe: The Ultimate ER Story

Retire@40:

I believe I saw a PBS program about this guy. It was one of his 8MM films he made of his construction of the cabin and his daily living activity at the lake. The vintage of the film as late fifties early sixties, and it was very engaging. Showed him cutting trees, honing them into everything he needed, and hunting his game. Its simple day by day narration seemd to suspend time into a place that only exists when one lives in accord with the four seasons rather than a day timer.

If you are in the Northeast, the program is airing tonight.

Alone in the Wilderness
PBS 2 Dec 07 09:00pm
Special/Other, 90 Mins.
Richard Proenneke gives an account of his day-to-day experiences living off the land.

Future Airings:
Alone in the Wilderness, WGBH Dec 11 02:30pm

I just finished "One Man's Wilderness." I highly recommend it as a non-financial ER book. It's the type of book that you can pick up and read every few years.

Proenneke nicely summarizes what he learns from his experience in chapter 9. Without giving away too much, I hope, he talks about how so many people keep wanting more and more when the real question should be "Must I really have this?" He also puts life in perspective and identifies true pleasures in life that don't require money. Yet, he realizes he doesn't have all the answers. He understands that humans need other humans to a degree, but "in a jam the best friend you have is yourself."

Hmmm...my second official post and I am going back to Iowa.

We have thought about moving back to Iowa (my husband is from there, we have a farm that his cousins farms for us- we pay the bills). Currently live in DC....

It seems like a nice place but I do hate the cold, maybe could get over that. What would be the pluses of ERing to Iowa (Eastern). I was suprised at how expensive the housing is around Des Moines.

Kay

What would be the pluses of ERing to Iowa (Eastern).
These are my observations regarding small towns in eastern Iowa:
-- Housing is relatively cheap. My three bedroom one bath house would probably sell for $75-$80,000.
-- Neighborhoods are no issue in small towns like the one I live in. Wealthy homes are next door to modest homes (not the case in Des Moines, Waterloo, etc.).
-- Crime isn't an issue for most people.
-- Traffic is a non-issue. If you live 5 miles from work, you will be able to get there in about 5 minutes, regardless of the time of day.
-- The people here are generally trusting, helpful, and friendly.
-- Schools are good in my town (can't speak for others).
-- Services are relatively inexpensive. Someone posted here recently about a relative paying to dig up the sewer and paying thousands. I dug up a section of the street, replaced the sewer, and also replaced the street for $900 a few years ago.
-- You'd be within 2-3 hours of a University hospital with some of the world's best, and if you're in northeast Iowa, you'd be withing 2-3 hours of the Mayo Clinic (the very best, IMO).

But there are downsides, besides the winters:
-- Many would consider it boring. No major league teams, not much in the way of museums, night-life, concerts, etc. There is some of that, but not much.
-- The landscape is pretty flat and most is in crops.
-- No mountains, ocean, or spectacular natural beauty.
-- Health care plans are limited. You probably won't want to sign on to an HMO here and limit yourself to your local docs.
-- There's no anonymity here - people know who you are, who your family is, etc. You can't go out to a restaurant without running in to someone you know. My wife doesn't mind that. I do.
-- Almost nothing is open 24/7. If you don't have what you need by 9 or 10, it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I live here because my life circumstances landed me here. It wouldn't be my first choice. On the other hand, I don't have any burning desire to live someplace else.

I have never lived in eastern Iowa, but have spent a lot
of time there. I agree with everything Bob_Smith had to
say. It would certainly not be my first choice either.
However, If I did have to live there, I would try to locate right on the Mississippi River. It provides the sort of
leisure activities I enjoy and is arguably the most
picturesque part of the state.

JG

Sorry to have hijacked the thread to Iowa!

But thanks for your opinions. We are eventually going to move when we both ER (I'm 44, husband 50). He wants to work a year or so longer, but after that there will be no reason to stay in DC.

The best thing about this place is the appreciation we've had on our house in the last 5 years.

I have always enjoyed the people in Iowa, I have even done RAGBRAI. Heat doesn't bother me, just not sure I could take the winter. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold even though I grew up in Pennsylvania.

Back
Top Bottom