Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Ultimate ER Story
Old 12-02-2004, 03:48 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

(For newcomers to the group - bow-tie and I may be the only Iowans here, so we occasionally go off on an Iowa tangent.)

Count one more for Iowa. In fact I think Bob Smith and I are in the same area.

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2004, 05:31 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey LovesLife, welcome to the group! I see you are an audiologist. I had contact with a few audiologists and ENTs in the Waterloo and Des Moines areas. We may know some of the same people.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 02:11 AM   #23

I love the outdoors and want to protect the environment
but not at the expense of free enterprise. I love that we are
surrounded here by beautiful parks, but the problem in Iowa of fertile framland growing houses instead of crops
is going on all over. Furthermore, it will not be reversed.
More people need more housing. You need land to build it, and the government is leaning toward the idea
that everyone should have their own detached house
(An idea that I think is dopey). Anyway, the conversion of land (all types) to subdivisions will continue apace.

John Galt
Old 12-03-2004, 03:08 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

<<<Hey LovesLife, welcome to the group! I see you are an audiologist. I had contact with a few audiologists and ENTs in the Waterloo and Des Moines areas. We may know some of the same people.>>>

Thanks, Bob Smith.

I would guess we would know some of the same folks. I know/knew alot of the audiologists at the AEA7 which I am sure you would of known them too.

I am kind of phasing myself out of working now. I have dropped from a 5 day work week to 4 and at the first of the year am going with a 2 day work week. (Previous posts of mine explain why although I sure don't want to draw this forum to my boss's attention

I always pay attention to your posts because of your experiences and also to try and figure out where you are from.

There used to be a Robert Smith that posted a fair amount of editorials in the Courier a few years back.
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 09:11 AM   #25

Quote:
(Count one more for Iowa. *In fact I think Bob Smith and I are in the same area.LovesLife
Sweet... another Iowegite (that's the scientific name for us: I - o - wee - jite). *Our plan for global domination has become stronger. * Mwahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha

Sorry, back on task... dude living in Alaska.... living off the land... fruits and berries and stuff....
Old 12-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

RetireRe: The Ultimate ER Story

Retire@40:

I believe I saw a PBS program about this guy. It was one of his 8MM films he made of his construction of the cabin and his daily living activity at the lake. The vintage of the film as late fifties early sixties, and it was very engaging. Showed him cutting trees, honing them into everything he needed, and hunting his game. Its simple day by day narration seemd to suspend time into a place that only exists when one lives in accord with the four seasons rather than a day timer.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:01 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are in the Northeast, the program is airing tonight.

Alone in the Wilderness
PBS 2 Dec 07 09:00pm
Special/Other, 90 Mins.
Richard Proenneke gives an account of his day-to-day experiences living off the land.

Future Airings:
Alone in the Wilderness, WGBH Dec 11 02:30pm
Old 12-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just finished "One Man's Wilderness." I highly recommend it as a non-financial ER book. It's the type of book that you can pick up and read every few years.

Proenneke nicely summarizes what he learns from his experience in chapter 9. Without giving away too much, I hope, he talks about how so many people keep wanting more and more when the real question should be "Must I really have this?" He also puts life in perspective and identifies true pleasures in life that don't require money. Yet, he realizes he doesn't have all the answers. He understands that humans need other humans to a degree, but "in a jam the best friend you have is yourself."
Old 12-22-2004, 12:54 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm...my second official post and I am going back to Iowa.

We have thought about moving back to Iowa (my husband is from there, we have a farm that his cousins farms for us- we pay the bills). Currently live in DC....

It seems like a nice place but I do hate the cold, maybe could get over that. What would be the pluses of ERing to Iowa (Eastern). I was suprised at how expensive the housing is around Des Moines.

Kay
Old 12-22-2004, 03:08 PM   #30

Quote:
What would be the pluses of ERing to Iowa (Eastern).
These are my observations regarding small towns in eastern Iowa:
-- Housing is relatively cheap. My three bedroom one bath house would probably sell for $75-$80,000.
-- Neighborhoods are no issue in small towns like the one I live in. Wealthy homes are next door to modest homes (not the case in Des Moines, Waterloo, etc.).
-- Crime isn't an issue for most people.
-- Traffic is a non-issue. If you live 5 miles from work, you will be able to get there in about 5 minutes, regardless of the time of day.
-- The people here are generally trusting, helpful, and friendly.
-- Schools are good in my town (can't speak for others).
-- Services are relatively inexpensive. Someone posted here recently about a relative paying to dig up the sewer and paying thousands. I dug up a section of the street, replaced the sewer, and also replaced the street for $900 a few years ago.
-- You'd be within 2-3 hours of a University hospital with some of the world's best, and if you're in northeast Iowa, you'd be withing 2-3 hours of the Mayo Clinic (the very best, IMO).

But there are downsides, besides the winters:
-- Many would consider it boring. No major league teams, not much in the way of museums, night-life, concerts, etc. There is some of that, but not much.
-- The landscape is pretty flat and most is in crops.
-- No mountains, ocean, or spectacular natural beauty.
-- Health care plans are limited. You probably won't want to sign on to an HMO here and limit yourself to your local docs.
-- There's no anonymity here - people know who you are, who your family is, etc. You can't go out to a restaurant without running in to someone you know. My wife doesn't mind that. I do.
-- Almost nothing is open 24/7. If you don't have what you need by 9 or 10, it will have to wait until tomorrow.

I live here because my life circumstances landed me here. It wouldn't be my first choice. On the other hand, I don't have any burning desire to live someplace else.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:17 PM   #31

I have never lived in eastern Iowa, but have spent a lot
of time there. I agree with everything Bob_Smith had to
say. It would certainly not be my first choice either.
However, If I did have to live there, I would try to locate right on the Mississippi River. It provides the sort of
leisure activities I enjoy and is arguably the most
picturesque part of the state.

JG
Old 12-23-2004, 04:18 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry to have hijacked the thread to Iowa!

But thanks for your opinions. We are eventually going to move when we both ER (I'm 44, husband 50). He wants to work a year or so longer, but after that there will be no reason to stay in DC.

The best thing about this place is the appreciation we've had on our house in the last 5 years.

I have always enjoyed the people in Iowa, I have even done RAGBRAI. Heat doesn't bother me, just not sure I could take the winter. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold even though I grew up in Pennsylvania.