Join Early Retirement Today

The Villages?
Old 10-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

The Villages?

Any one live at The Villages in Fl? If so is it as nice as it seems? What are the drawbacks?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Villages?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:23 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't live there but near there and go there once in a while for the entertainment. Seems like all old people. OK once in a while but every day too much for us. Don't play much shuffle board. Don't like public pools. Not much on golf. No privacy. Expensive. Crowded. Reminds me a little bit of the movie Soilent Green : Well you get the picture.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski
....... Reminds me a little bit of the movie Soilent Green : Well you get the picture.
Just don't follow the truck! Hey, it's time for lunch! :P
Old 10-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi, have only been buy it and through it...never stayed there...

As with some of the other "planned communities" around central Florida, I would look very closely at the TOTAL cost to live there...ie, all the HOA fees (do the good views pay more) .., golf on the big courses, taxes, cart fees, trail fees, and will all these fees just keep going up every year...

I know there are some mobile home golf communities who costs have risen greatly in the last several years at the mercy of the landowners who set the "lot rents."
Not sure how it works in the Villages, but somebody has to pay for all those extras, staff, buildings, pools, "free" golf courses, :"million dollar" club houses and so on...And yes, everybody there looked "old" to me, too!!!

I do hear via the grapevine that resales are not a problem, however, so someone must be watching those commercials!!
Ted
Old 10-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

My husband's sister and spouse have lived there for 12 years, and they have really loved it. They have a home on one of the executive courses, and it has doubled in resale value. (And you definitely don't have a problem selling if you want to!)

There are a lot of trail fees, etc. and the area has grown so much in population that you are restricted on tee times on the 18 hole courses during the winter months, but the 9 hole courses are very inexpensive to play. The last time we visited, I sat out on the back porch a couple of mornings and watched the golfers play through. It's pretty obvious that many of the retirees only took up golf after moving there!

There is a restriction on how many days an individual under age 19 (I think that's the right age!) can spend in the Villages. I will say that there are many retirees in their early 50's, especially among those who come from the northern states.

As far as shopping, medical care, various recreational activities, you would be hard pressed to find an area that offers more.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I've driven through and met several older couples who live there. I have never heard as many rave reviews about any other retirement community.

It is also known for its solid, conservative, republican base, FWIW. But they are clearly doing something right. Everyone seems to love it.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Just spoke with a buddy that works in the Villages. He said sales are off 75%. There are 1300 completed units sitting empty right now. Just something to think about.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowski
Just spoke with a buddy that works in the Villages. He said sales are off 75%. There are 1300 completed units sitting empty right now. Just something to think about.
Hurricane fear. Great time to buy if it's the sort of place that appeals to you.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:06 PM   #9

Rich,

I don't think it's hurricane fear. Most of the country is on the other side of a property boom which ended last year IMHO.

I just sold/gave away my house in NY and it was not fun trying to sell it. I wanted to sell it last year but DW wasn't ready. Cost us a lot of $.

Old 10-15-2006, 07:16 PM   #10

The Villages....reminds me of The Prisoner
Old 10-15-2006, 10:33 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
The Villages....reminds me of The Prisoner
Why is that?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:53 AM   #12

Because the place where the prisoner was kept was called the village. (60s British TV show about a secret service agent who retired early! )
Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Because the place where the prisoner was kept was called the village. (60s British TV show about a secret service agent who retired early! )
Now there was an early retirement!

I think Patrick McG. got the retirement medical, since they seemed to put him under for free
Old 10-16-2006, 11:20 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Uhhhhh.......OK........thanks! Guess I missed that one.

Years ago, I worked a lot of hours and now have a whole world of missed TV shows and movies I can catch up on if desired........
Old 10-16-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

we toured there, but I don't think it will be our retirement destination as our child who was living a few hours away moved out west.

What I saw as the plusses: lots of activities, restaurants, no driving, the ability to be very active as you age.
Minuses: lots of people dying due to the age group, more of a homogenous upper middle class white population with little diversity from what we could see. more chain type restaurants. Also, I would miss the seasons, although this week I am glad to be a few hours away from Buffalo. I thought housing was expensive for what you got.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:39 PM   #16

Buffalo has seasons?
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers
Buffalo has seasons?
Two of them: August 16th and winter.

Six months in Ballston Spa from August to February... never again.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Opus X-

There is an article about the "Village People" in this month's Smart Money magazine. If you are really interested, you may want to pick up a copy.

Personally, I would feel as though I were living in "The Night of the Living Dead" if I moved there!

No offense meant! Just not for me! I like kids, bikes in yards, neighborhoods ......

Jane (who at 45 is still not of age to live in the Village!)
Old 10-17-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

"Buffalo has seasons?
Two of them: August 16th and winter."

cracks me up. We also had a few days of fall this year.

by the way where I live we have over 200" of snowfall on average. Schools rarely close and businesses keep open. I still prefer the seasons to the constant summer or the southern summer heat.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Is this century village ?
I have relatives that live there and are very happy. It seems to me that most people living there are at the higher end of the retirement spectrum though. My sister newly retired at 55 bought in another community. The senior communites seem to sell at a discount to some of the regular communities and they do have lots of clubs and things to do.