Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Villages upcoming visit
Old 01-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Villages upcoming visit

I must say I know little about Florida , but I do kinda like hot weather, so it's on my retirement radar. One thing I've noticed when looking at some houses on trulia is that many have pools with glass houses surrounding them. I assume it's for bugs etc., are the bugs that bad that it's preferable to have a glass house over the pool?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 03:56 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
I must say I know little about Florida , but I do kinda like hot weather, so it's on my retirement radar. One thing I've noticed when looking at some houses on trulia is that many have pools with glass houses surrounding them. I assume it's for bugs etc., are the bugs that bad that it's preferable to have a glass house over the pool?
They are called lanai's and most are screens not glass. We have one around our pool. It keeps blowing stuff out of the pool along with bugs. Some think the bugs are bad I don't think they are that bad (except the love bugs twice a year for a couple of weeks.

However, the wife likes being totally bug free by the pool.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

"kinda like hot weather"...HAHAHAHAHA. Do you like hot weather ALL the time. Like even right now? I am over it....when it gets to be 80 routinely in January I am sick of it.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
One thing I've noticed when looking at some houses on trulia is that many have pools with glass houses surrounding them. I assume it's for bugs etc., are the bugs that bad that it's preferable to have a glass house over the pool?
My friend who lives on Florida's east coast has that, and he says all their neighbors do as well.

I think it's partly to keep the gators out (they are frequent visitors to his backyard), but also they practically live out in that room. Very nice on cold evenings!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My friend who lives on Florida's east coast has that, and he says all their neighbors do as well.

I think it's partly to keep the gators out (they are frequent visitors to his backyard), but also they practically live out in that room. Very nice on cold evenings!
My parents lived on the east coast also, the noseeums could be unpleasant at times.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post
"kinda like hot weather"...HAHAHAHAHA. Do you like hot weather ALL the time. Like even right now? I am over it....when it gets to be 80 routinely in January I am sick of it.
Hey that's the cool season down here! LOL! I wouldn't mind some 80s today, it's 64 degrees with a hard blowing north wind, and I'm cold! It's supposed to get back to the nice weather this weekend - sunny and 75 degrees.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
... it's 64 degrees with a hard blowing north wind, and I'm cold!
I'd settle for that. Better than the 4 to 8 inches of snow and ice we're forecast for tonight/tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Back when I lived there, I absolutely loved S. Florida this time of year. The weather was just perfect; not too humid, not too hot. I loved walking around in shorts after dark, admiring people's Christmas lights.

The traffic...well, that's pretty horrific.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:00 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunthewiser View Post

Love it. Im one of those cold bodies that never warms up unless it's above 80. I was visiting a friend in Vietnam a few years ago and he said that I was the first person he had ever seen with a sweater there..

bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 11:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I visited the Villages on their lifestyle preview program last September for 4 nights. We are about 3 years from FIRE and it was our first visit there. The place is a bit surreal- it's a city of about 100,000 retirees with 75 swimming pools, over 30 executive golf courses, a dozen championship courses, something like 2,000 different clubs. Everyone drives around in golf carts, very friendly people, we were very impressed. We want to visit again during the winter months when it's more crowded but if you want lots of things to do, it 'd be hard to beat.

boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:09 AM   #31

Some friends of ours spend a season there one year but they got creeped out by the frequent ambulances.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I certainly can't speak for the Villages, but I've visited people in a couple of "over-55" places and the residents don't, after all, stay 55. One extremely creepy thing I noticed was some communal "vulching" over who had been shipped off to the nursing home; who was generally regarded as being "ready" for the nursing home, but pretending they weren't; and who might be heading for the nursing home, but it was hard to tell yet...

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Some friends of ours spend a season there one year but they got creeped out by the frequent ambulances.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerman View Post
DW and I visited the Villages on their lifestyle preview program last September for 4 nights. We are about 3 years from FIRE and it was our first visit there. The place is a bit surreal- it's a city of about 100,000 retirees with 75 swimming pools, over 30 executive golf courses, a dozen championship courses, something like 2,000 different clubs. Everyone drives around in golf carts, very friendly people, we were very impressed. We want to visit again during the winter months when it's more crowded but if you want lots of things to do, it 'd be hard to beat.

You don't need a large community to have oodles of things to do. Our retirement community is quite small - 100 households maybe. But there are tons of things to do with your neighbors if that's what rocks your boat.

We avoid most of the activities as they don't match our interests. But we notice most of our neighbors enthusiastically participate in the various hobby classes and breakfast and lunch outings and neighborhood parties and festivals.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:27 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pine View Post
They are called lanai's and most are screens not glass. We have one around our pool. It keeps blowing stuff out of the pool along with bugs. Some think the bugs are bad I don't think they are that bad (except the love bugs twice a year for a couple of weeks.

However, the wife likes being totally bug free by the pool.
If I recall - no-see-ums can be a problem in Florida. Maybe just certain parts of FL in certain seasons.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You don't need a large community to have oodles of things to do. Our retirement community is quite small - 100 households maybe. But there are tons of things to do with your neighbors if that's what rocks your boat.
I agree, in fact we were a bit overwhelmed by the size of everything and will need to be convinced that it's not too big. But we were impressed with the variety of amenities and how well everything is maintained.
boilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #36

A couple just invited us to visit them at the Villages....just don't know if we are ready for that

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I got the info package from the Villages, which was a nice introduction.
It suggested the cost was about $1,000/mo for a $250,000 home for the normal basic expenses.
As I understand it, there are basically a number of "different" villages all connected to each other.
Some seem to be more expensive housing than the others, it made me wonder if there is there a status effect depending upon if you buy a $500,000 vs $125,000 home.
Do you get to participate/pay the same as everyone else for events/etc ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:16 AM   #38

Events and things to do cost the same except for the championship golf courses. they have their own rate scale (same for all who choose)

When we were there the top end homes were the designer series. They were nice but pricey.

48Fire: not ready to visit your friends or to mover there? A visit like that would seem perfect..........
Old 02-09-2015, 07:28 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a friend who retired to a similar spot in AZ. He came back to IL to visit and was telling me of the wonders of the joint. They get up and there is the club house and the pool, and the pool table and ... But the creepy part was when he talked about how everyone gets up and first thing goes outside and there is a sort of informal check in to see who did not get out the door and needs to be checked on. Nice in a way but creepy.

For me, I will spend my declining years in my neighborhood, seeing people of all ages go past my porch. We have a grade school two blocks away and have Moms walking kids to school, older ones on their own, HS students heading off to the HS. Folks mowing grass, etc. I see myself as the old man who lives in the little house who makes (or depending on the year) used to make toys for the children and who sits on his porch reading and watching the world go by.

Have done some work on the house to facilitate long term care on site and have planned accordingly financially. Better deal for DW and I and a lot better deal for DS and DD. We happen to be in an area where top notch services are available, albeit at a price.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #40
Gone but not forgotten

For those who have never been to The Villages, it might be worthwhile to get an idea of just how big it is. Here's a Google Maps view. Zoom in and out to see how many roads and how many individual house lots there are.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...3b129a94b4af67

The Villages covers more than 55 square miles. By comparison, almost three times as large as Providence RI, a little less than Wahington DC, and 2/3 the size of Oakland, CA.

Thousands of miles of roads, inclusing 90+ miles for golf carts (so far).

Another comparison... our campground is the largest family campground in the US, with 6000 sites. It covers just over 2 square miles.

As to the socio/economic strata... for the most part, each individual village is largely similar in the size and cost of homes, so it is unlikely that you would find a million dollar home, next to a $200K home. The oldest part of the Villages, once named Orange Blossom Gardens, on the east side of rte 441 was/is all mobile or maufactured homes... many available for well under $100,000.

When we first moved to FL, Orange Blossom Gardens was there... before the Villages even existed... circa 1990.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote