Theres No Place Like Home

This is an interesting thread - and I enjoyed reading the variety of opinions.  I've thought a lot about this one, and I fall into the "want a home to come home to" camp. 

I am more attached to my "stuff" than I probably should be - but as my grandparents and then my mom passed away, I collected some nice antiques and furniture that has sentimental value from my childhood.  Now that mom is gone, and eventually her house will be, there is no family homestead to return to, and that makes me want to keep my own. I also have a collection of books that I'm fond of... and my piano.... and my garden.... nope - I wanna keep it.

Ideally I'd like to live here (home) about 6 months out of the year, so I wouldn't really consider myself a PT at all.  But what to do with the house while we are gone for extended periods concerns me.  I'm not too sure about the "exchange" thing - partly I'm just too lazy to want to clean up and put away all my personal stuff - and not really excited about total strangers in my "space," so I don't see that working.   When we actually get serious about it, I will look for someone I know and trust that might want a temporary "house-sitting" situation.  For shorter periods we'll just lock up.

We have been considering some Peace-Corp type things, that would involve being gone for a year or two, I might have to rethink in that case.  But by that time the house will be paid off, so I'm not too concerned about the costs of keeping it empty - it's more the security issue, and I thankfully have some wonderful neighbors to help with that.

The comment upthread about housesitters makes some sense for those who wish to travel a lot but want a home base.  You might want to check out www.housecarers.com as an option to occupy your "home" while you are away.  Advertising your place is free and the site provides you with a pro forma agreement  for the parties to sign.  Typically the housesitters pay for all utilities (but not property taxes and say, condo fees).  For short term rentals, homeowners can give as little as 7 days notice to vacate, or for longer terms of several months, 28 days notice to vacate.  A friend currently has housesitters in a residence she owns in Calgary on a temporary basis through the winter while she becomes a Canadian snowbird in southern USA.

This could work especially well for a condo where you wouldn't have to worry about the external maintenance.  You leave your household goods in place for the housesitter to use (tho it is best to removve and store personal items in offsite storage or at a relative or friend's place - e.g. financial affairs, family photos).  So that you can come back to your furniture, pictures on the wall, etc, etc.

For longer term housesitting, a quality housesitter should not object to a bond or a damage deposit equivalent to about one month's fair rental rate.

Interesting Alta -

I'm thinking of this from the other side - why not register as a house sitter and then have a free (:confused:) place to stay whenever you wanted to travel somewhere....

Hmmmm....the life of a professional housesitter.....

Wab said:
That sounds like a good approach.   Do you rent out your unit while you're traveling?   If so, does the resort manage the rental aspects for you? 
We don't rent our unit out, but that is a big business where we are. Those who rent out their units when they are not there figure it pays for the rent/fees/manager/etc. and sometimes ++.   8) In that rental amount, it also pays for a housecleaner to prepare the rental for their return.
Dex said:
It is true what you say about storage lockers.  I read a study that said the cost per square foot is the same as a rental apartment.  Storage units are good for short periods of time.  It really is a math question. 
Yes, I speak to this from experience. When we first retired, I was very attached to my "stuff." Some of it was emotional attachment, and some of it was "well, it's still useful/pretty/what if we return?"  ;)  After a couple of years, we actually did return, and I couldn't believe what we had kept. Aside from the "Grandmother's china issue" we had purchased everything over again and again...  But I could not have done it cold turkey, so... chalk it up to educational experience, which is never free.
Dex:
I got your CD and use it for inspiration until I give my notice.  Also, I planning to do what you did when you first RE'd - get a travel trailer and travel the USA.  Then look for a homebase in the Southwest USA.  That's the plan so far.
Thanks
Thank you so much for your support of our project! We very much appreciate it. Glad you thought it was both useful and inspirational. That means a lot!  :D
JG said:
I gotta tell you though, even with an excellent arrangement and a superwoman managing our place, tenants can still be a PITA.
I understand. When we first retired, (I don't know what we were thinking) we kept our beautiful California home and rented it out. We saw our "little piece of Camelot" go down to trash lane, even with a manager. I, personally, was heartbroken since I was also very emotionally attached to my home... We came into town, got serious, and sold the place in a month. Shoulda sold it at retirement, and saved the heartache.  :'(
Shiny said: .
I just worry that if I don't have a "home" that these little pity-parties will turn into more of a pyschological breakdown.
Justin:
It would be very nice to have the psychological place that you think of as home. 
This is really the issue. You put your finger on it. I freely admit that we took a "transition period" as I wrote about above - with both storage and keeping our home. At the time, it was worth the money. Looking back, I say it definitely was not.
As we have perfected our PT status, we have become more skilled at making foreign places feel like home, and doing things that psychologically create a place that feels like home. We have become more confident in ourselves, in who we are, in what we bring to the table, (so to speak), in meeting people, and finding how to get our needs met (like in ExPat clubs, talking to strangers to create friendships, finding home cooked meals, reading books, and so on.)
We love returning to our place in the States, as it always feels like Christmas. "New" clothes in our closets, fresh music CD's, our cooking toys, my art supplies, and our BBQ grill. Still, at this point, I would not trade our PT style. There might come a time, though, when I will..
Justin:
I've had a lot of thoughts lately about how much time (and money) I spend maintaining a home for me and my family - repairs, improvements, cleaning, maintenance, yardwork.  I feel like that is time that I could have used better elsewhere I guess.  It's feels good to have a nice home, but at the same time it is a time-consuming proposition.
Again, your finger is on the exact issue. If you can allow yourself to make changes - do one way of living for a while, then do another way of living at another time... you will be able to create options for yourself. We loved our home. It took time and money to keep it up. We love our traveling style. It required we sell our home to do the longterm travel periods we wanted. We may yet again, buy a home at another time. It's up to you, it's your life! That's what it's all about... :D
The best to you all ways.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Akaisha -
I can't remember if I ever mentioned it on the forum here, but I also bought and loved your CD. I pull it out frequently, sometimes to study the detailed financial suggestions and other times to just look at the pictures and daydream.

Definitely a worthwhile purchase!

Thank you so much, Sheryl! I am so happy (and humbled) that you thought it was worth your time and money, and that you continue to pull it out to read and check through it. :D Billy's photos are awesome, aren't they? 8)

Thank you again, and the best to you all ways.

Akaisha

Akaisha,

I put your book on CD on my Christmas list and I think my wife already bought it for me! I'm looking forward to reading it this winter.

It's on my Christmas list too! I guess our UNC minds think alike! :D

Of course I meant UNC mind = great mind!

But, alas, there are many great minds on this board and we don't all think alike - that would make for one boring board!

Back on Topic... Like Akaisha mentioned: right now we do have a plan to have different phases in life. We had a house and all the joys and work of that, then we lightened up on the stuff and moved into a small apartment. We're thinking eventually we'll have a stint of the gypsy lifestyle with our treasures (and hopfully not our trash) in storage, then find the place that we really want to live and buy a small townhouse/condo and travel several times per year.

I think I've mentioned that I have a couple of older dogs. I hope they live to an even older ripe old age, but my gypsy years will wait until they are no longer here (I travel with them now, but I don't take them to foreign countries, except Canada) I can't imagine going too long without a dog, so the gypsy phase will be limited by that.

shiny said:
I think I've mentioned that I have a couple of older dogs.  I hope they live to an even older ripe old age, but my gypsy years will wait until they are no longer here (I travel with them now, but I don't take them to foreign countries, except Canada)  I can't imagine going too long without a dog, so the gypsy phase will be limited by that.

Me too, Shiny. I have a 12.5 yr. old dog. So while I'm trying to prepare myself for the fact that he won't be here forever, I'm also thinking about how much easier long term travel will be. But I KWYM about not being without one for long. I can do without a spouse or BF easier than without a dog. :D

Sheryl said:
Interesting Alta -

I'm thinking of this from the other side -  why not register as a house sitter and then have a free (:confused:) place to stay whenever you wanted to travel somewhere....   

Hmmmm....the life of a professional housesitter..... 

Sheryl, that is certainly an option and there are many people who advertise that way and do exactly that. Need of course to be flexible on timing to make the travel fit the housesitting assignment. Also need to consider that most housesitting assignments include taking daily care of the pets and plants (the original purpose of people wanting housesitters).

Another thing I have found out is that some housesitters make housesitting a long term way of living "cheap", moving from assignment to assignment over many years. And all it costs them is utilities and the pain/nuisance of picking up your "10" boxes of personal stuff to move to the next housesitting assignment.

That also works if you don't really care where you 'hang your hat' and call home... which is the opposite of what this thread was about. It also works if you have a place to land between housesitting assignments.... I would imagine it might be hard to coordinate assignments perfectly.

I have a 14 year old kitty and a 3 year old black Lab. I take the dog everywhere and this does keep me down on the ranch. The companionship they provide me is priceless. It pains me to board them even for a day or two.

I would like to trek remote Burma before it opens up to western franchises like in Thailand (I noted the Kentucky Fried Chicken stores in many of  the tsunami pictures).

I love my 'boys' too much to leave them for a few months. I have been in the position of choosing them over the continued comapny of a woman. She was a nice lady, but my 'boys' come first.

Sheryl said:
I can do without a spouse or BF easier than without a dog.  :D

I guess your spouse also does not read this board?

ha

Heh. My wife and kid are traveling right now. I didn't go because our pet sitter wasn't available. What humans won't do for a little unconditional love, eh?

Justin said:
I put your book on CD on my Christmas list and I think my wife already bought it for me!  I'm looking forward to reading it this winter.   
Shiny said:
It's on my Christmas list too!
Thanks Guys! We hope you like it and find it both useful and inspiring. Please let us know.  :D And we do appreciate your support of our project...
Alta said:
Another thing I have found out is that some housesitters make housesitting a long term way of living "cheap", moving from assignment to assignment over many years. And all it costs them is utilities and the pain/nuisance of picking up your "10" boxes of personal stuff to move to the next housesitting assignment.
Yes, we know of people who do this for years at a time, and it works out for them very well. For instance, in places where there are many snowbirds, having a housesitter is a perfect way to have someone take care of your home and plants with little worry about security. In this way, there is no moving around from week to week, but rather, the stay is months long. Works out well for both sides. 8)

Akaisha

HaHa said:
I guess your spouse also does not read this board?

Good guess Ha!    :D

Disclaimer in case he does read: Actually, I meant that I've done without a spouse for years at a time, but never been without a dog... the comment wasn't directed at any particular person 8)

For people interested in house-sitting, you might want to subscribe to Caretaker Gazette ( http://www.caretaker.org/ )
I bought a subscription for my in-laws, just before they retired. They liked the offers, but ultimately they decided to live a full time RV lifestyle.

Reminds me of an old Korean proverb: " A dog isn't just for Christmas, with luck you'll have some left for a sandwich on Boxing day" :LOL: :LOL: Just kidding

After health issues, pets have to be the #2 reason people can't travel. My kids check on the house regularly and tend to Whiskers. Uh oh we've been away longer than planned and the house is getting cold. What will we do?

A. Turn on the heat you cheap bastard.

B. Fuggataboutit, we'll be home in a couple weeks anyway.

C. Figure something out soon, since we'll be in the same fix when we head south in January.

D. Procrastinate and pretend alls well  :)

BUM said:
After health issues, pets have to be the #2 reason people can't travel. My kids check on the house regularly and tend to Whiskers. Uh oh we've been away longer than planned and the house is getting cold. What will we do?

A. Turn on the heat you cheap bastard.

B. Fuggataboutit, we'll be home in a couple weeks anyway.

C. Figure something out soon, since we'll be in the same fix when we head south in January.

D. Procrastinate and pretend alls well  :)

Yeah the pets are a problem for sure. Yet another issue I did not fully
research.

JG

We live in the Phoenix area and are hybrids as to being PT: We spend the summer months on the road and the winter months at home. About half and half, which makes sense given the seasons here. No problems so far. We have some favorite travel desitnations, so we are less open ended travelers and more repeat visitors to our travel targets, in that we study an area and make it a travel campaign for a few years.

MRGALT2U said:
Yeah the pets are a problem for sure. Yet another issue I did not fully
research.

JG

So John, what do you do with the many dogs when you go to Texas?

One of the reasons we bought the motorhome was for the dogs. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom