Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2018, 09:51 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
We sleep three to a bed. Me, the dog and my wife. The dog would be upset if we did it any other way.
+1. We did the same. We had two dogs, fortunately one dog choose to sleep on the floor, must not have liked DW, me or the other dog.

DW and I have never slept in separate beds, guess we're not "older" yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Uh-oh, I’ve been wearing sandals with socks for years!
Me too.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not just odd, cruel.

For example, in kindergarten I thought having to take a nap was punishment. No more.

Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Last spring, I caught myself putting on sandals over my socks. (Not quite warm enough for bare feet.) I stood up, looked down, and said "I did NOT do that!" And took off the sandals, replacing them with the comfy ugly shoes. (Dodged a bullet there.)
So glad you caught that major error!
At the big U I went to, that was the look of a Physics grad student
Which was about the worst cut that a student could lob at another.

As seen written on the back of a stall door in a dorm hall bathroom... "PHEW
MAN, Pull'em Up! You smell worse than a Physics Grad student!!!"
Old 06-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #24

Some things I'm on the lookout for, to avoid doing, I mean --

Chewing one's cud, when not actually eating; Talking/mumbling to oneself in public, including soundlessly moving mouth making words; Looking like a Physics Grad Student (I had to slip that one in!); Not wearing pants with the beltline up at armpit level; Severe case of Halitosis and insisting on being up-close talking to people; Parking a big car at that close-in space at the library by repeatedly backing in and running up on the curb in the exact same spot over and over again; Talking to and dressing up little yip-yip dogs as if they were human babies; Not washing clothes often enough (like PGS above ); Talking loudly in the wrong places (are there really that many hard of hearing people, or is it the "I don't give a damn attitude?"); Using punctuation incorrectly (OK, I haven't been able to completely avoid THAT one!)
Old 06-23-2018, 12:13 AM   #25

Older people sleeping in separate bedrooms is apparently very common. I used to work in the senior living industry and our Marketing staff told me that many couples insist on a 2 BR apartment because they each want their own bedroom.

Hopefully that will not happen for DH and me. We have 3 BR’s in our condo, but one is an office and the guest BR doesn’t have a view. Our master has a beautiful view of the ocean, and I don’t see either of us wanting to sacrifice that! [emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

(Apparently) I drive WAY TOO SLOWLY for the yahoos around our summer retreat. Maybe it's just the Buick - it even LOOKS slow. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:59 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We sleep three to a bed. Me, the dog and my wife. The dog would be upset if we did it any other way.
Our dog has her own bed in a pet crate. DW and I sometimes do disturb each other but we want to be in the same bed.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Older people sleeping in separate bedrooms is apparently very common. I used to work in the senior living industry and our Marketing staff told me that many couples insist on a 2 BR apartment because they each want their own bedroom.
DW and always sleep in the same bed, but we must have at least 3 bedrooms. Because she “prefers” her own bathroom and closet. The master bath and walk in closet are hers, along with most of two other closets. I get the hall bath and my clothes are in the study (4th bedroom).

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
DW and always sleep in the same bed, but we must have at least 3 bedrooms. Because she “prefers” her own bathroom and closet. The master bath and walk in closet are hers, along with most of two other closets. I get the hall bath and my clothes are in the study (4th bedroom).
Happy wife happy life
Old 06-23-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes it's the things older people do not do.

Like not trimming nasal and ear hair. Yuk!

Is it illegal to ask the barber to trim those bushy, bushy eyebrows?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:25 AM   #31

My ‘aww no, really?’ moment was ‘double pumping’ to get out of the car. But then I rationalized it since I parked on a hill.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

All my barbers will do the eyebrows and ears. None will do the nose hair. I have my own device to do that.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:58 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
All my barbers will do the eyebrows and ears. None will do the nose hair. I have my own device to do that.
+1
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
(Apparently) I drive WAY TOO SLOWLY for the yahoos around our summer retreat. Maybe it's just the Buick - it even LOOKS slow. YMMV
That often happens to me too. I doubt it's the Buick though, I drive a 16-year-old GMC pickup truck. Around here I do see a lot of older people driving 30-year-old cars that look like they were delivered yesterday. So - bought brand new, driven only on Sundays, and garage kept.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #35

Quote:
Very reasonable.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #36

DW and I still sleep in same bed, but we almost never watch TV together. Our TV preferences are dramatically different. She tends to go to sleep much earlier than I. So, we sleep on the same bed but rarely go to sleep together. Problem is if I "visit" her before sleep time she presumes I have an ulterior motive

Re: what old people do: I just finished 2 games of Chutes and Ladders with my granddaughter, and it seemingly took me 5 minutes to stand up from the floor.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OMG - that must be a lot of clothes and shoes!!!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

Hard to believe Andy Rooney has already been dead for 7 years.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Move it or Lose it !
Hmmmm...looking square in the face of the big 6 0 is giving me a little bit of pause...and my body is getting a bit less agile. I stay in reasonably good shape through my container gardening and house chores/yard work.

I had an issue with getting up from a seated position, had leg/butt muscle aches, and also felt like my left leg was a bit shorter. Mr B also commented that I was not standing up straight, leaning forward a smidge. So off I went to the doctor, and got some Xrays done.

Lo and behold...I have a minor case of levoscoliosis (left curvature of the spine) and some mild left hip degeneration. YIKES !!!

So off to 2 months of PT I went. I am now standing taller, it is easier to rise from a seated position, my left leg feels almost equal, and I am able to walk 1 mile on a treadmill at a reasonable clip. I am improving my back and upper body strength through pulley based exercise. I've been discharged from PT. I continue to go to the facility for self directed exercise.

While at PT, I witnessed several clients with balance and overall strength issues, mostly mileage related. I vowed to myself that I MUST continue the exercise regimen, not for vanity, but for better mobility now and in the future.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Hmmmm...looking square in the face of the big 6 0 is giving me a little bit of pause..
Um...not sure how to break this to you, but 6 0 is only one step beyond High School.....just wait.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote