Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Posts like this are torture for us poor unfortunates that have not yet pulled the plug. Nevertheless, its music to my ears and gives me something to look forward to.
+1

My commute to work is anywhere from 45 minutes on a great day, to over 3 hours in bad weather….

Only 447 more days until most of my daily commutes will be driving around my property in my golf cart!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not to mention long telecons. I do NOT miss telecons one bit!
You just reminded me of a very difficult project I got stuck with was assigned to be in charge of, by a not-so-benevolent supervisor. In a nutshell, there were 3 geographically separated groups who were told to "w*rk together". I was the funding decision maker as well as the Tech Manager.
At first, we got together in person, switching the meeting place between the three locations. Result? Food fights and drama.
So I switched over to telecons, using savings on travel costs as the justification. All of a sudden, the two groups who wanted to accomplish something were able to keep the "food fighter" group from monopolizing the group meetings in person. Oddly enough, technology solved the adverse human interaction problem.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

There was the boss who told me to attend a meeting out of town on short notice to replace someone who couldn't go weaseled out of it. When I said I'd have to check my calendar because I was pretty sure I had a commitment, she said "We own you. You're going."
Old 07-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Not to mention long telecons. I do NOT miss telecons one bit!
Ah, the meetings where five minutes of information is spread out over 60 minutes.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Ah, the meetings where five minutes of information is spread out over 60 minutes.
Yes, although I must admit that where I worked, a 60 minute telecon was relatively short! Occasionally I had to participate in 2-3 hour telecons during which the opportunity for a quick "nature break" was tough to find.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:31 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ack! I hated meetings, too. Even while working part-time for 7 years I still had to attend many of them. I had a boring biweekly management one which, even with an occasional free donut, I did not like. It began as soon as I arrived at 10 AM so I was usually in a grumpy mood for the rest of the morning.

Then with the long project I worked on in the last 17 months or so, I had a weekly status meeting on Thursday or Friday afternoon. That one was at least productive but it melted my mind often. A meeting like that at 2-3 in the afternoon was more than my mind could handle late in the day.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
So you were denied bathroom privileges in your working days? Well there's a new one
Nah...I wasn't denied. It just depended on whether or not I had a customer, my boss wasn't squawking, the phone wasn't ringing, I was not in a meeting, I was not in a car, train or airplane. As long as the bathroom was not marked 'out of order' or the stalls were not filled.

Otherwise...I was good to go!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #48

My Billbergia Hallelujah bloomed:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #49

My thoughts exactly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
Above all, the freedom from @ssholes.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #50

Truth, after 5 years, I am still looking for something I don't like, however, I don't look very hard!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
My Billbergia Hallelujah bloomed:
Oh! That's beautiful! We could all use more beauty in our lives. Thank you GregLee.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:13 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every time I accidentally get caught in rush hour.
+1
Old 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #53

Today, July 8th, is a day I once kinda celebrated but now it has lost any meaning. On July 8th, 1985, I began working at the job I would ER from in 2008. Had I still been working, it would have been 26 years. But now, thankfully, the day doesn't mean anything to me.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #54
Full time employment: Posting here.

No commute, no meetings, no idiots trying to manage projects based on their obsolete knowledge of the technology.

On the positive side, living life by my needs, not by the clock. Naps, eating and choosing times to go places to avoid those who do w*rk are at the top of the list.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:21 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
So you were denied bathroom privileges in your working days? Well there's a new one
Submarines run a six-hour watchbill, and not all classes of submarines have a bathroom in the engineroom or the control room. At least not one that you'd want to be observed peeing into, anyway.

My problem was having to get a break halfway through the watch just to get something to eat, like a piece of fruit or some chocolate. No eating in the engineroom or the control room, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
There was the boss who told me to attend a meeting out of town on short notice to replace someone who couldn't go weaseled out of it. When I said I'd have to check my calendar because I was pretty sure I had a commitment, she said "We own you. You're going."
One of my commanding officers once told me "We just got told that in two weeks all the training command COs have to go to this one-week conference at HQ. I have my master's degree final exams that week so you're going. I want daily summaries."

By the fourth day of the conference he was getting extra daily summaries from a few of his (blissfully ignorant) fellow COs who were not amused by my contributions from the trenches. ("Truth hurts.") So not only did a lot get done that week, but I also never had to go to another CO's conference.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #56
gone traveling

Quote:
Occasionally I had to participate in 2-3 hour telecons during which the opportunity for a quick "nature break" was tough to find.
Recalls many of my meetings before I retired. Since I worked with teams from other countries/timezones, we used NetMeeting and the phone for our multi-hour sessions.

Fortunately, I had a wireless phone/deskset, in which I wore a receiver, microphone and I could walk away from my desk (within 75 feet, or so).

Needless to say, the mike picked up some "strange noises" during those sessions . BTW, the headset mike did have a "mute" button, so I was not so obvious (unless a question was asked of me at a "critical point"...)

Technology may be great, but I certainly don't miss it ...
Old 07-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I am in my last several months of employment (can leave at any hour, any day, any time), my usual smart ass attitude has taken a dramatic turn for the worse. I long ago (over 25 years ago after being caught in a blizzard for 6 hours on the way home) decided that I don't go in when there is even a hint of really bad weather or snow of any kind. It just ain't worth it and that's what leave is for. Now I work 2 to 3 days a week from home and only go in for meetings that really require my presence or when I need information that can't be obtained from a phone call or the internet.

It's almost complete freedom when you know what you have to do, can do it any time of the day or night and go out whenever you want and do the work later. The only downside is that you definitely are not eligible for membership in the Do Nothing Club, something I aspire to. I agree with rescueme - wearing a wireless headset does make for some interesting background noises during telecons. I do make sure they hear the flush .

DW has been retired for 2 years and she is having a ball. She has more places to go and things to do than when she was working. Even getting used to me being at home even though I actually have to do things that are not entertaining. Basically waiting for the next big 401K matching distribution - if you leave before the end of the matching period, you get zip. Free money is always nice .
Old 07-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What makes me happy to be retired? Going to the gym in the middle of the day like we just did, and finding only a few other retirees there and nobody else but staff. No waiting to get exactly the machine I want, when I want it, and the gym was spotless and very cool even in this heat. It was as though we owned the gym. I feel like a pampered princess.
Unusual gym. Any one I have ever been to is pretty heavily used anytime except late night or very early am.

Ha
Old 07-10-2011, 02:02 PM   #59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Unusual gym. Any one I have ever been to is pretty heavily used anytime except late night or very early am.

Ha
I love my gym.

My gym is more expensive than most here ($42/month), and it doesn't have child care so it tends to attract fewer, and older members. I like that, because the older members don't seem to really care about fancy gym clothes and flirting, as much as just getting healthy. My gym also has a lot of really nice equipment. It also has classes, two indoor pools (one hotter than the other), a hot tub, steam rooms, and massage, none of which I have used yet.

But it does get crowded around 4-6 PM, when people are getting off work.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
...(snip)...
The only downside is that you definitely are not eligible for membership in the Do Nothing Club, something I aspire to.

Today's (July 10) Dilbert had a take on on what you do after you have "already mastered the art of being useless at work": The official Dilbert website with Scott Adams' color comic strips, animation, mashups and more!