Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2011, 05:50 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like to think I wasn't useless when I left but if I had stayed, the "toxic" option was becoming appealing.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 AM   #62

In my final position of interim Executive Quality Director for the site I was arm twisted into taking while they found a replacement for my boss who left and whos' job I was doing in addition to my own for almost 6 months. I was already a documented retiree so I was clear I did not want the job a second longer than they found someone. When it became obvious the foot dragging was going on I decided I would no longer take any trips out of town to any meetings; regardless of who called them; including the CEO. It made for some interesting telephone calls between my and my boss and his boss. My answer was there was nothing I can contribute nor learn and my time would be better spent running the operation than on a boondoggle to corporate headquarters in Southern Calif. It is amazing the lee way one gets when they have no choice but to say OK to what ever you want or don't want. Every meeting among the other manufacturing sites and the two headquarters areas were all done via conference call in my office so I could get some work done while they pontificated and stabbed little pins into each others backs the whole time. I just said NO to any additional work or projects as well as to any budget cuts. A nice firm polite "No." The silence on the other side was deafening. Despite all my hard-headedness they still wanted me to keep the job.

My answer was....you have exactly 2 weeks before I leave. I will no be here and I will not come back. If you want me to interface with your candidate you better get one in here before that and if not...you better get my boss to move in here so he can run this place after I leave.

It was liberating after having to suck it up for so many years in the corporate world of BS and management flailing.

Life is Good.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

An early morning Harley ride.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
In my final position of interim Executive Quality Director for the site I was arm twisted into taking while they found a replacement for my boss who left and whos' job I was doing in addition to my own for almost 6 months. I was already a documented retiree so I was clear I did not want the job a second longer than they found someone. When it became obvious the foot dragging was going on I decided I would no longer take any trips out of town to any meetings; regardless of who called them; including the CEO. It made for some interesting telephone calls between my and my boss and his boss. My answer was there was nothing I can contribute nor learn and my time would be better spent running the operation than on a boondoggle to corporate headquarters in Southern Calif. It is amazing the lee way one gets when they have no choice but to say OK to what ever you want or don't want. Every meeting among the other manufacturing sites and the two headquarters areas were all done via conference call in my office so I could get some work done while they pontificated and stabbed little pins into each others backs the whole time. I just said NO to any additional work or projects as well as to any budget cuts. A nice firm polite "No." The silence on the other side was deafening. Despite all my hard-headedness they still wanted me to keep the job.

My answer was....you have exactly 2 weeks before I leave. I will no be here and I will not come back. If you want me to interface with your candidate you better get one in here before that and if not...you better get my boss to move in here so he can run this place after I leave.

It was liberating after having to suck it up for so many years in the corporate world of BS and management flailing.

Life is Good.

I think that's called 'sitting in the catbird seat' https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Catbird_seat

omni
Old 07-11-2011, 09:01 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
When I said I'd have to check my calendar because I was pretty sure I had a commitment, she said "We own you. You're going."
That's what is pretty neat about where I'm working now. All but a couple of us would develop a severe attitude problem, tell them to shove it, turn in the gear, and go fishing the rest of the week.

And they know it, so they don't even try.

Having a KMA hat is priceless. Can't buy that with MasterCharge.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
Monday mornings.
This effect manifests itself with me on Sunday night by not having to leave the cottage and drive back to the city for work. Other things that make me happy:
1) The flexibilty to travel whenever for however long we want
2)Not dealing with work related stress
3)More time for wokouts and fitness activities
4)More time to help our aged parents