Join Early Retirement Today

Things that make you happy to be retired
Old 07-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would have been caught up in this traffic jam for hours. Many of my former co-workers suffered though this yesterday.

From wtop.com - A truck fire held traffic on westbound Interstate 66 at a standstill for hours Tuesday afternoon, resulting in a disastrous evening commute for motorists in Northern Virginia.

WTOP's Bob Marbourg says a truck carrying hay was burning after Exit 60 for Route 123 and before Exit 57 for Route 50 . Virginia State Police say they received reports of the fire at about 1:30 p.m.

Westbound lanes of traffic were stopped for more than three hours, with the northbound ramp from Route 123 to westbound I-66 closing during the afternoon. That ramp has since reopened.

Residual delays and traffic jams occurred into the evening, with Route 123, Route 50 and other alternative routes in Virginia jammed with drivers trying to avoid delays.

Traffic reopened on I-66 around 6:30 p.m.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck.jpg (47.3 KB, 33 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
I would have been caught up in this traffic jam for hours. Many of my former co-workers suffered though this yesterday.

From wtop.com - A truck fire held traffic on westbound Interstate 66 at a standstill for hours Tuesday afternoon, resulting in a disastrous evening commute for motorists in Northern Virginia.

WTOP's Bob Marbourg says a truck carrying hay was burning after Exit 60 for Route 123 and before Exit 57 for Route 50 . Virginia State Police say they received reports of the fire at about 1:30 p.m.

Westbound lanes of traffic were stopped for more than three hours, with the northbound ramp from Route 123 to westbound I-66 closing during the afternoon. That ramp has since reopened.

Residual delays and traffic jams occurred into the evening, with Route 123, Route 50 and other alternative routes in Virginia jammed with drivers trying to avoid delays.

Traffic reopened on I-66 around 6:30 p.m.
Looks like my BIL trying to cook burgers on my grill...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Every time I accidentally get caught in rush hour.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Monday mornings.
ladypatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Whenever I hear a transit report of the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) having some problems with delays in the AM or PM rush I am soooo glad I do not have to deal with that lousy railroad to get to or from my old office.

Or, if I am out at my co-op's pool like today, when it is fairly quiet outside I can hear the sound of the bells prior to the train doors closing at my nearby station, even from 1/4 mile away. I smile in the comfort that I do not have to ride those damn trains any more.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
I smile in the comfort that I do not have to ride those damn trains any more.
I hear ya. Took the metro from the 'burbs to downtown DC for years before I got a job I could reasonably drive to. Don't know which was worse.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

What makes me happy to be retired? Going to the gym in the middle of the day like we just did, and finding only a few other retirees there and nobody else but staff. No waiting to get exactly the machine I want, when I want it, and the gym was spotless and very cool even in this heat. It was as though we owned the gym. I feel like a pampered princess.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

This morning I had a relaxing time at our association clubhouse pool, doing a couple laps in the lap pool, soaking in the spa, and rounding it off with a light lunch and soda poolside with a couple other retired friends.

Just great to know that I no longer have commutes, deadlines, reports, performance evaluations ( both giving & taking ), and stress from not achieving the region's sales numbers.

After 34 years of working life, I know I deserve this. I really do.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just love waking up after 9am every morning, then spending a few hours at the gym at my own pace. But most of all I love doing nothing, I've finally found something I'm good at.
Old 07-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
But most of all I love doing nothing, I've finally found something I'm good at.
Like you, I've finally discovered my true calling in life. You might give some consideration to joining this group devoted to perfecting our skills: Do Nothing Club
Old 07-06-2011, 05:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not retired, but on vacation between jobs. Having job free time to deal with a move has kept me sane.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every time I accidentally get caught in rush hour.
We did that the other day. It was kind of fun. We just putted along watching the crazy people drive all around us. So glad I'm not doing that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Like you, I've finally discovered my true calling in life. You might give some consideration to joining this group devoted to perfecting our skills: Do Nothing Club
How do I not join that club? I'm sure I'm over qualified.

I also enjoy not having to be anywhere at any set time. Sure it happens occasionally and I hate it when it does. The freedom to do what you want, when you want is fantastic!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, I make sure I'm not on the roads heading in the wrong direction at rush hours (OK, maybe rush 30 minutes around here). I start to head home before the afternoon rush hits and I avoid most eating places from 11:30AM-1PM, and any stores around noon, as well as almost anyplace on Saturday (most everything is closed on Sunday around here).

After being out of the rat race for 3+ years I still can't stand to be around the hustle and bustle of folks trying to squeeze in lunch or shopping in a blitz. I have gotten so spoiled to being nearly alone in Home Depot on a Tuesday morning or eating at a popular place before the rush. Most days I don't even leave the house if I have nothing I have to do. That gives me a lot of "alone" time where I don't have to deal with my frantic brothers and sisters. It is not anti-social on my part...just don't need to be social most of the time and I have plenty to keep me busy at the house.

I am happy to be retired because:
* I don't have to sweat the night before a w*rk day thinking about my meetings and projects hours before I have to actually dig into them.

* I don't have to get up 2 hours eary (5AM) to get to work by 7 just to avoid sitting idly in a car stopped in traffic for an hour.

* I don't have to stay at w*rk after 7PM for any reason; especially to miss the traffic congestion headed home.

* I don't have to do job reviews for employees who could care less what is in them because the company keeps changing to the latest HR "Flavor of the month".

* I don't have to worry about what my boss thinks of me in relation to my next increase.

* I don't have to do budgets for a department that gets cut 4 times a year and then has to explain why something did not get done.

* I don't have to go to meetings and waste my time listening to ill informed hot shots trying to get the boss to win their great plan....that comes up and fails every 3-5 years.

* I don't have to put up with whiny employees, government officials, venders, and customers who what everything yesterday but aren't willing to pay for the quality and speed they want.

*I don't have to go to company functions and pretend I like my fellow workers; most of whom are trying every way to stick a knife in your back so they can steal your department or budget.

* I don't have to get up, dress up, or show up for a j*b.

* I do have nearly total freedom of my days. DW has put a leash on me with her latest project but mostly I am free.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:20 AM   #14

Above all, the freedom from @ssholes. Also, the general peace of mind.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Having leisurely coffee on a week day. I'm not even a big coffee fan, but it seems the essence of being retired.

Right now I'm on a coffee break on a bike ride.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Here.
Attached Images
File Type: png image-2614480850.png (68.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #17

The thing that makes me happy is being able to take a nap whenever I want to.....
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #18

The traffic in the Washington, DC area was the reason for the move to WV.

A fond hope is that when all the politicians who created that mess die, the devil makes them sit in traffic jams like that for eternity. With full bladders.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #19

Pretty much everything.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
gone traveling

Posts like this are torture for us poor unfortunates that have not yet pulled the plug. Nevertheless, its music to my ears and gives me something to look forward to.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote