Join Early Retirement Today

Things To Do Before You Die
Old 01-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #1

Things To Do Before You Die

I've never understood why more people don't have a goal to retire early. But one exercise that makes you realize why it's important to retire early is to put in writing 100 specific things you want to do before you die. For example, it's not good enough to say you want to "travel" because that's more of a thought than an action. Write down exactly where you want to go, what you want to see, and when you are going to do it. This will scare you if you plan on retiring at 65 because if you're like me, you won't have time to do most of the things you want to do. I'm on the road to retiring at 40 and I think I can do most of what I want to do before I die at 90
That is, unless I keep adding to my list, in which case I'll just have to figure out a way to live longer (or retire even sooner-----or both).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Things To Do Before You Die
Old 01-26-2004, 02:16 AM   #2
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
... one exercise that makes you realize why it's important to retire early is to put in writing 100 specific things you want to do before you die.
Excellent!

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:25 AM   #3

Hello Cut-throat! Our list is a bit less exotic than yours
(pretty tight budget).

My wife wants to visit Komodo Island (I don't even
know where that is). That would be a solo trip.
I don't fly any more.

I would like to spend the maximum time on the motorcycle
while I can still ride. Lots of longer trips, all over the country. Also, would like to get a larger power boat
and keep it in a nice marina near our home.

Both of us want to get our Texas ranch project completed while we can still enjoy it.

That's about it for us, except maybe spending more
time with family.

John Galt
Old 01-26-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cutthroat:

Your planning to go back to New Zealand caught my eye
(Trout fishing).
About 15 years ago, a friend of mine and his wife were transferred to Minneapolis.They were both native So. Calif. types. He has always been an avid fly fisherman, and we spent many days in the high sierras tromping around fishing for Goldens.
In any case, after 3 years in Minnesotta, his wife told him it was either her, or Minnesotta. (He was solidly intrenched with his career there, and had learned to really like the area. He is still there, and his wife has been back in so. calif. for the last 11 years.
For the last 10 years, he has taken a month off and heads for New Zealand and fishing.
Sounds to me like it would be a damn fine way to get out of the tough winters back there, and get your fishing in at the same time.
Beats the heck out of snow birding to the Arizona/Nevada area, where its getting almost impossible to move, because of the number of Canadians that are RVng. down there.
Regards, Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 07:17 AM   #5

Jarhead,

I sent you a Private Message!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, things to do before I die:

Finally caulk that seam on the chimney that lets in a little water.

Finish unpacking boxes from my last move 9 months ago.

Convert the pile of tools and whatnot in the garage into an organized tool set that doesnt make looking for a particular tool an adventure.

I think if I get past that, I might consider other items
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #7

Hello Cut-Throat..............I have been to every single
place you mentioned, Wyoming, Montana, Big Horn River, etc. although I have not fished in all
of them. You would be hard pressed to make a list
of prettier country. Also, I lived on Lake Michigan
(actually the Bay of Green Bay) for 10 years, and could see Door County out my back door. Trolled for salmon and trout until fall, and then hunted ducks until freeze up. A great life, except for the winters.

John Galt
Old 01-26-2004, 04:16 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Listing things you want to accomplish before one's demise is a great way to focus on the rest of your life. I think Jimmy Buffett says, " 24 hours, maybe 60 good years, it's really not that long of a stay", and he's right!

But, and here's the proverbial "but". Don't put your list in concrete. Once you retire, your wold is going to open like you've never seen it. Flexibility and open-mindedness is key to enjoying things that you've not dreamed of yet.

Follow your dreams, Billy
Web Site http://www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #9

Tell an annoying co-worker to shove it up his...
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 09:13 PM   #10

Good excercise in goal setting. I started my list to find that I've only done a small fraction of all that I want to do. By putting it on paper, I've come up with dozens of other things I'd like to do. Many of the items are small and personal to me and would not excite most people (like volunteer work), but some of the other items on my list include...

*Travel to at least 10 countries like Italy, Spain, Australia, Japan, England, Brazil, Argentina, Austria, Germany, Greece.

*Travel to all 50 states (by air, train, and by driving cross country)

*Catch a tuna and/or marlin

*Go scuba diving

*Make oil paintings

*Hunt for deer

*Make home-made beer and wine

*Learn how to play a musical instrument

*Run (or walk) a marathon

I have about 30 more items so far, but I think these will keep me busy for a while.
Such ambition is so exhausting.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:18 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Such ambition is so exhausting.

I've read that goal-setters consistently achieve more and report higher satisfaction. Of course in my working years I was rarely a goal-setter and frequently a goal-achiever, so it's nice to take over both sides of the system.

Shortly before retirement I drew up a list of goals. I called "very short range" as a few months, "short range" as less than a year, and "medium range" as 3-5 years. Two years later: VSR is a year, SR is <3 years, and medium range is still 3-5 years (for now).

I think you have to give yourself plenty of time (slack) for doing the things you really like doing, not just for trying new things. You may revisit an old favorite (like recreational reading) or learn something new (like surfing) that'll happily entertain you for years. Or your kid will come home on school break and "nothing" will get done full-time for three weeks (priceless).

But my list is half-finished and I'm not adding to it very fast. The honey-do list is way down and shrinking steadily. We joke that our home/yard improvement & maintenance list includes 400 separate annual tasks... but the laughter is fading fast. Most of the "improvement" has been eliminating the things that need trimming, weeding, or painting.

Major/continuing accomplishments in the last two years:
Visit my grandfather (made it just in time)
Daily naps
Surfing
Tae kwon do
Workouts at least 3x week (see above two items)
Grow a ponytail
Reorganize the garage (hang in there, th!)
Convert legacy CCPlus tickler system to Outlook (nasty project)
Convert Quattro spreadsheets to Excel (even nastier)
Finish painting the house
Clean/organize file drawers
More SCUBA diving
Water conditioner & new water heater
Dig an imu & cook a luau

Here's what's left:
Be a good spouse
Be a good dad
Launch the kid (no hangfires or circular runs)
Braid my ponytail
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll liveaboard diving
Spend a few months in Thailand learning the language
Learn to speak & read Hawaiian
Complete the revocable living trust estate planning
Complete the "What to do if I wake up dead" list & passwords for spouse
"Hike of the Month" club
Plow through exercises in "Drawing for the Right Side of the Brain".
Get off the grid (photovoltaic, batteries, & generator backup)
Achieve a net worth higher than lifetime earnings (I think from TMND)
Collect more retired Navy pension than active-duty salary. (Bonus points: Collect more even after inflation adjustments)
Join the Navy's "Centenarian Sailors" list in their retiree magazine
Join the top ten "Oldest Living Alumni" list of my alma mater. (Minimum admission this month: 100. 99 isn't even in the top ten anymore.)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 01:27 AM   #12

Heh, I just revisited the list I wrote about a month before I retired. I was able to tick off all of my short-term goals, about 1/2 of my mid-term, and none of my long-term.

Still on my TO-DO list:

-- learn enough botany to identify most of the native plants in my area
-- learn enough geology to do my own geotech work
-- learn Mandarin
-- learn enough astronomy to be able to identify those bright things in the night sky
-- brush up on my celestial navigation skills
-- visit China, the Amazon, and my ancestral homeland
-- learn enough about architecture to design and build a house
-- write a book
-- build a non-kit robot (bonus points for making its behavior complex enough to make people question their own humanity )
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:41 AM   #13

Hey wab! That's quite a list. I never made one.
Seems a bit obsessive . Anyway, as I've gotten older
the stuff I liked to do keeps disappearing on me. So far
I've mostly just done more of the things I am still able to
do and the stuff I have put off. There are some things I enjoyed when I was younger that I once figured I might take up again (golf?). However, I am so busy now I really can't see it.

John Galt
Old 08-26-2004, 03:59 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My wife wants to visit Komodo Island (I don't even
know where that is).
John Galt
John: I think Komodo Island is in Indonesia...Komodo dragon (native to this island and only found wild in this island) is this huge, meat-eating, lizard like.

My parents were born in Indonesia they told me things of their birth country...

Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 04:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

5 top things to do before I die (mostly travelling):

- Go to China (Great Wall, Terracota warriors, forbidden city, Tiangmen Square), Japan (cherry blossoms, Tokyo, hot spring bath, japanese garden and sushi) and Hongkong (just because - I heard chinese food is better in Hongkong than in China).
- Go to Australia to visit my cousins and let them teach me how to surf.
- Go to Egypt, Turkey and Morroco: Pyramid, dead kings' mummies , ride a camel, camp in the dessert, and eat local food (okay, I like to eat).
- Snowboard in Alberta and BC, Canada. Apparently they have "real" mountain instead of "lump o' dirt" we have in Ontario (this unfortunately has to be done before I got too old).
- Do a cross-Canada trip for 3-4 months.

Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I am prepared to die.

Hence - like Anthony Quinn planting the tree in the movie - I can act like I'm going to live forever.

The usual near term stuff - train the golden retriever to bring the ball back and not go rip tearing afte mink, ducks, possums and especially racoons.

Do/not do the pier extension. Repair a couple pilings in time for winter.

Don't even think about flag football with the neighborhood teenagers(61 is 61). Couch potato is good.

Keep a grip on brain pharts - as to remodel/beat back the wilderness syndrome. Reasearch how to kill chinese tallow and get some more wildlife habit going in the high part of 'my swamp'.

Maybe - get a nightlite from Home Depot/Lowes and do some fall fishing for white trout and redfish off the back porch this winter. Hmmm - may even buy a fishing license.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:21 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Just finished reading the obit for Elisabeth Kubler-Ross in the New York Times. In all her research on death and dying, she said that people who looked back on their lives and felt they were well-lived (they did the things they wanted to do--my words) had the easiest time letting go.

So, my short "to do" list before I check out:
Spend a couple of months in Europe, especially through Eastern Europe and Scandinavia.
Do a trans-Atlantic crossing on the Queen Mary II.
Go back to Japan for a few weeks.
Finally buy the small motorhome and winter in Florida and Baja California.
Hop on my bike and explore "Rails to Trails" bike trails. Have been on a couple of those and they're a blast!
Build a small eco-friendly cottage in the southwest for the day when I can't travel much anymore, if that ever happens.
I suppose I'll do something altruistic as well, but right now I don't know what.

Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:46 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

John: I think Komodo Island is in Indonesia...Komodo dragon (native to this island and only found wild in this island) is this huge, meat-eating, lizard like.
Uh oh, I see a headline emerging...

"Man visiting Komodo island attacked by giant dragon. Beats it to death with ego. Says he was just trying to please wife. Film at 11".
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 AM   #19

Quote:
I've never understood why more people don't have a goal to retire early.
I do, as ive always been fascinated by ER (such as the power of compounding), but maybe I can take a stab at why.

Some people are just worth a lot and by the time your 50 or so, its probably very hard to voluntarily give up the benefit of being worth 30-40 dollars/hour or more. Great jobs usually dont just fall in people's laps. A lot of blood and sweat goes into getting those, so I suspect they're not so easily given up, whether one has the means to do so or not.

Take me for instance; i'm a federal employee. By the time i have just 15 years tenure, i'll get max leave and only have to work 36 hrs/week if you count leave, and even less if you count federal holidays off. I made and underwent major sacrifices (schooling, costs) to have a GS-12 job at the age of only 30.

Ive read some of those lists and I cant help but wonder why you guys cant do a lot of those things while working. Do I just have an unusual job, that includes leave and no more than standard full time? Perhaps ER isnt really appropriate for a job like mine. Perhaps ER is only for hard jobs and/or ones with high stress/long work hours.

I dunno. Still debating what's right for me.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #20

Quote:

Uh oh, I see a headline emerging...

"Man visiting Komodo island attacked by giant dragon. *Beats it to death with ego. *Says he was just trying to please wife. *Film at 11".

I remember a few years ago, Sharon Stone's husband was attacked by a Komodo at a zoo near San Francisco. Apparently they were give a special tour inside the living area of the Komodo's. I think the lizard grabbed his leg/foot and was preparing to dine on him.

Sharon Stone and that husband have since divorced. - I still find it impossible to get that 'Basic Instinct' Movie scene out of my mind.