Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I always thought I'd love to travel extensively when retired. I used to live for vacations when working to get away from stress.

However, now that we are retired, I'm not as anxious to travel. We do go places, but I find that getting ready to go, getting a pet sitter, packing, making all the arrangements brings its own stresses. It turns out that we are pretty darned happy staying home most of the time.
We're in the same boat. We were going to downsize and travel, but decluttering, fixing up the house to sell, deciding where to live, and house hunting, started to seem like more work than work had been.

I guess without working we have no stress to get away from. We take a lot of day trips now and plan on more overnight driving vacations to places nearby like Lake Tahoe, Monterrey and Yosemite where our pet can come with us. The most fun thing we've done is buy a few memberships in groups that get seat filler tickets. Sometimes there are a 50 or more events to pick from each week just from those lists, and the surprise of seeing what pops up is half the fun.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

A strong drink when you are hot and thirsty will get you anytime, like the double margarita I had recently, and I am a reasonably strong drinker.

So, one needs something else in his stomach to tame that drink. Like the following photo from the Web.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

During my Air Force career, I spent a couple of decades traveling all the time, all over the world. Not as aircrew, just ordinary business travel. Despite the rigors of it (and you haven't really lived until you've spent half a day in the back of a cargo plane), I thoroughly enjoyed all the travel. Going someplace you've never been, meeting the people who live there, taking in the local sights -- priceless.

There were compensations, too. For example, I spent years making monthly or bimonthly trips between the US and South America. The only option was the sole US-flag carrier, which was Pan Am in those days. I had so many frequent flyer miles that after the first year I was always able to use them to upgrade to business class, and once they got to know me they would occasionally upgrade me to first. Believe me, back then if you were in first class on Pan Am you were in hog heaven. Steaks cooked to order, etc., etc.

So when I eventually retired (after a second career that also involved quite a lot of travel (but just in the US), I wondered if I would still want to do it. Answer: YES!

Now, after 15 years in retirement, I still love it. I go to some part of Europe at least once a year, often twice. I make trips to New England, Canada, or the Pacific NW at least once a year. I put nearly 25K miles on my car every year.

My only concession to normality is that I typically start looking forward to getting home after 2-3 weeks away. But that's good, too.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

This is a great thread! I really thought it was just me :->. I planned to read, take up quilting again, and garden when I retired a little over 2 years ago. I found that I had lost almost all interest in reading, which was a shock since I've been an avid reader my whole life. When I did read, I wanted to read different topics than I had been reading previously. Since I had stockpiled a lot of books on sale before I retired, that was unfortunate.

I also found I had zero interest in quilting, and a bad back prevented most of the gardening. As others have mentioned, I think the reading/quilting were my stress relief from work. I'm an introvert and I'd come home from work and just stick my nose in a book. I'm finding that I prefer more social activities now. It's like work sucked the social part of me out, and it's free to come back now.

I finally did start reading my book stockpile again, and am back to enjoying those books, thank goodness, but it's taken the whole two years for that to happen.
Old 06-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm doing pretty much what I thought I would. Playing lot's of golf.
that's my plan.....that and gardening
Old 06-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

We traveled for leisure through our working years, but we should have more time now, and less worry with the kids all grown up and established. We also have more money. The one thing that we have less is stamina, so need to do more soon while we still can.
This is true, as we are aging our bodies cannot tolerate being in a plane for 10 to 12 hours.I am glad we did our longest distance traveling while we were a bit younger. Right now at ages 78 and 72, we have decided we are done with overseas travel. Our last two trips were to the East Coast and to Western Canada.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I have not taken any tour and always arrange my own travel and lodging. I am no backpacker, but like to travel light so that we can hop on buses, trains, and metro. And we walk everywhere to tour the cities on foot. Will see if I still can do what I did.

Back on the OP's observation that one's interest may change when retiring, it is quite normal. I have many hobbies, and my interest in any of them waxes and wanes. After quitting work, I have not been doing much electronic works for the last few years, but am in the process of setting up a hobby room to get back into doing some hardware and firmware design, just for recreation.

I am also getting more involved in gardening with my wife. This year may be the 1st year I get some home-grown tomatoes after several miserable attempts over the years.

Doing a variety of things keeps one from falling into a rut. We had several recent threads about how doing the same things day in/day out makes the time seem to go faster as each day blends indistinguishably into the next. I want to do something new every year. I want to try to make different dishes, etc...
Old 06-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
we walk everywhere to tour the cities on foot.
This is one of the things I love about Europe. Most of the cities are eminently walkable. Last year I was in one and at the end of the day my iPhone said I had done over 28,000 steps. Surprising, because to me it was simply an enjoyable stroll to explore the city, and I've never done that much in the USA.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:22 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Ed-The-Gypsy I am in awe of people who can do a remodel themselves. How much do you estimate it would cost if you had contracted?