Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Got a nice big, comfy boat about 15 years ago. I never planned a 'sail around the world' thing, but now that I've RE'd, all we do is sit on it, eat, swim and take naps.
Don't beat yourself up over that -- it sounds wonderful to me.

I used to know a guy with an amazing boat. It was a 110 foot, three-masted schooner, all in teak with multiple cabins and a tiny engine just used for pulling up to the pier at the yacht club.

He had a full time crew that lived aboard it and did practically all the work so he just had to show up (usually with a group of friends or business associates) and walk on board. Magnificent boat.

But AFAIK, he never took it very far out of the bay where it was moored. Of course, it was a very big bay at 159 square miles, but still it was the kind of boat that could easily have handled greater distances. He just wasn't interested in that kind of travel.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't beat yourself up over that -- it sounds wonderful to me.

I used to know a guy with an amazing boat. It was a 110 foot, three-masted schooner, all in teak with multiple cabins and a tiny engine just used for pulling up to the pier at the yacht club.
Thanks. I'm not at the 110 foot level...more like 38, but you're right.

As DW says: "We just do our thing our own way. We don't owe an explanation to anyone."
Think you'll do that in ER? Maybe not
Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Think you'll do that in ER? Maybe not

I always thought I'd love to travel extensively when retired. I used to live for vacations when working to get away from stress.

However, now that we are retired, I'm not as anxious to travel. We do go places, but I find that getting ready to go, getting a pet sitter, packing, making all the arrangements brings its own stresses. It turns out that we are pretty darned happy staying home most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I always thought I'd love to travel extensively when retired. I used to live for vacations when working to get away from stress.

However, now that we are retired, I'm not as anxious to travel. We do go places, but I find that getting ready to go, getting a pet sitter, packing, making all the arrangements brings its own stresses. It turns out that we are pretty darned happy staying home most of the time.

Man, if this happens to us, we will have worked way too long. (It would, however, cut the Gordian Knot of withdrawal methods!)
Old 06-01-2016, 02:55 PM   #25

There is a lot to be said that after you retire, you may be too old to do the things you looked forward to doing.

I used to travel to quite a few places big game hunting and bill fishing. MT, AK, HI, NM, FL, Mexico, etc. My trophy wall has many heads and mounts.

I definitely have less of an attraction for it now. Although a bow hunting trip for a large coastal grizzly/Kodiak bear would be a great trip.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
There is a lot to be said that after you retire, you may be too old to do the things you looked forward to doing.
As I read some of the replies, I wonder if a lot of it has to do with just getting older and, while often still able to do those things, the attraction to do them just isn't as strong.

Sort of like instead of going skiing, just sitting at the lodge by the fire with a drink, checking out the ladies' ski apparel (and falling asleep before and after).
Old 06-02-2016, 01:34 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I did not have a list of things to do, just thoughts of: have more time to work around the house and car, more quality time with pets/local friends/ volunteering at Church. All things i did before RE at 55, but with a lot more stress because I was under a time constraint because of work. What I have found as others have said, is that things do seem to take longer to do once retired. Having that clock to watch i guess inspired efficiency or something. Not that i care as even after only 4 months in, retirement is so great. I did expect to want to travel more, and probably will after the first year or two is over, depending on how my sweet elderly pets, and some dear local friends who are in ill health, are doing. My cats and dog do actually travel well, and they are certified therapy animals so they travel locally to visit folks as their aging animal bodies allow.
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I wanted to work with a friend to do some consulting but that is off to a slow start.
I also wanted to do some garden art welding. I did aquire some tools but no place to work yet.
Big acheivement: total remodel of main floor of the house starting with the kitchen. Took 6 Mos and about $20k, but we budgeted $35k, so all is good. Driveway is next.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I love "goofing off", it's my favorite activity -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post

I echo this sentiment. I expected that once retired (even though only 18 months now) I would be all about the travel. When I was in the AF, I obviously traveled a lot...A LOT. I saw much of the world and professionally, it started getting old after about 5 years. I just assumed that personal travel would be so much better...but I am finding that I am just as miserable. DW and I just got back from Aruba and I was pretty disappointed in the whole ordeal. After about two days there, I was longing for my bed, my house, my hammock. I am realizing that I am definitely a home body.

And yes, the couple of weeks leading up to the Aruba trip was way too reminiscent of w*rk...and that is NOT COOL!

I am not sure how this will play out in the future since the DW hasn't traveled nearly as much as I have and I don't think she was as miserable in Aruba as I was. Although she wasn't happy when someone tried to break in the house the second night we were there...but that's a whole 'nother story!
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
DW and I just got back from Aruba and I was pretty disappointed in the whole ordeal. After about two days there, I was longing for my bed, my house, my hammock. I am realizing that I am definitely a home body.
I am a home body too. I traveled extensively in my youth and hated it then. I traveled for work and that was even worse. Frankly I don't enjoy travel at all, especially now that I am growing older. I love being at home, where everything is predictable and exactly the way I want it to be.

The nice thing about retirement is that we get to invent and shape our retirement ourselves. Other than our Hurricane Isaac evacuation to rural Alabama in 2012, we haven't set foot outside the New Orleans metro area since we retired. We are happy here.

Since I'm not spending money on travel, instead I used that money to buy my "dream home" a year ago. For me, this is maximum value for my money.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:03 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I've mentioned before that during my work life, I logged over 4 million air miles to Europe, Asia etc.; did it for over 30 years. Never got tired of it, never found it to be a chore. (of course, travel with my company was VERY good...and got paid for it too!)

Retired 11 years now and on one side, I feel like I saw everything I wanted to see. On the other side, that travel itch is still there and I do scratch it a few times a year.

However with all the strife of late, DW commented that she was glad we went to all those places when we did. Now limiting our overseas to 'quiet' places like Italy, French countryside and maybe Japan.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:23 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
that travel itch is still there and I do scratch it a few times a year.
The vast majority of our forum members seem to feel just exactly like you do. I have even seen posts by people "freaking out" because they found out that travel actually isn't fun for them, and so now they don't know what to do with their time in retirement. They point out that travel is what everyone expects to do in retirement and now they feel lost and different.

However, as I was pointing out to Flyboy5, there is nothing wrong with being a homebody. There is no reason any of us cannot design our retirement independently, to fit our own personal wishes, whether they match those of most others or not. There is no reason to feel pressure from others who think they are well traveled (many of whom actually are not), and yet still are dying to travel more.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

In contrast with most people who leave work abruptly, I was able to segue into full retirement with more than 8 years of on/off part-time consulting work. So, no grandiose plans for me, as it was just more of the same.

A hiccup did result from my sudden illness shortly after full and permanent retirement 4 years ago. I had some DIY home improvement works that were delayed for 3 years. I have been able to resume those, and it makes me feel good.

Another aspect of full-retirement is more and longer travel trips. I was taking month-long RV trips even before full-retirement, and should now be able to spend an entire summer up in Alaska if I want to. Perhaps next year. Or a month or two abroad? I have more time now, and all it takes is just good health and more money.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A hiccup did result from my sudden illness shortly after full and permanent retirement 4 years ago. I had some DIY home improvement works that were delayed for 3 years. I have been able to resume those, and it makes me feel good.

Another aspect of full-retirement is more and longer travel trips. I was taking month-long RV trips even before full-retirement, and should now be able to spend an entire summer up in Alaska if I want to. Perhaps next year. Or a month or two abroad? I have more time now, and all it takes is just good health and more money.
So glad to read that you are feeling this much better, NW-Bound! I hope that your illness is not the type that will return. Whether it is or not, at least it sounds like you are feeling back to normal right now and that is wonderful to read. If a summer in Alaska is your dream, then I hope you can do it soon.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Thanks.

Well, to quote Gilda Radner, "if it's not one thing, it's another". None of us will get out alive, so might as well enjoy what time we have and have no regrets.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The vast majority of our forum members seem to feel just exactly like you do. I have even seen posts by people "freaking out" because they found out that travel actually isn't fun for them, and so now they don't know what to do with their time in retirement. They point out that travel is what everyone expects to do in retirement and now they feel lost and different.

However, as I was pointing out to Flyboy5, there is nothing wrong with being a homebody. There is no reason any of us cannot design our retirement independently, to fit our own personal wishes, whether they match those of most others or not. There is no reason to feel pressure from others who think they are well traveled (many of whom actually are not), and yet still are dying to travel more.
Yep. I had a sneaking suspicion that I may not like travel since I had done it SOOO much, so it has just been confirmed. I don't mind a couple of trips a year, but I think it's more for my DW than for me. I do think that being a introvert really lends itself to hanging around the house. I can go days without talking to a soul and it's really just fine for me.

That being said, I have always enjoyed our trips to Isla Mujeres...but it had almost become a routine. Same house. Same travel arrangements, same schedule...just different food and scenery. I guess that means I could envision having a second home somewhere similar to this arrangement as long as it's the same.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've mentioned before that during my work life, I logged over 4 million air miles to Europe, Asia etc.; did it for over 30 years. Never got tired of it, never found it to be a chore. (of course, travel with my company was VERY good...and got paid for it too!)

Retired 11 years now and on one side, I feel like I saw everything I wanted to see. On the other side, that travel itch is still there and I do scratch it a few times a year.

However with all the strife of late, DW commented that she was glad we went to all those places when we did. Now limiting our overseas to 'quiet' places like Italy, French countryside and maybe Japan.
We traveled some for work, though not as much as many posters here. But work travel did not take us to some places like the hilltowns in Tuscany, where I like to spend some time wandering. Or to some fishing villages on the Mediterranean shore, where I can sit in the shade sipping some ouzo. Or I can also be in Provence sipping pastis. I am not picky.

We traveled for leisure through our working years, but we should have more time now, and less worry with the kids all grown up and established. We also have more money. The one thing that we have less is stamina, so need to do more soon while we still can.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
Yep. I had a sneaking suspicion that I may not like travel since I had done it SOOO much, so it has just been confirmed. I don't mind a couple of trips a year, but I think it's more for my DW than for me. I do think that being a introvert really lends itself to hanging around the house. I can go days without talking to a soul and it's really just fine for me.

That being said, I have always enjoyed our trips to Isla Mujeres...but it had almost become a routine. Same house. Same travel arrangements, same schedule...just different food and scenery. I guess that means I could envision having a second home somewhere similar to this arrangement as long as it's the same.
That sounds perfect for you. In my case, I have no desire for a second home but I also need to get out of the house and talk to people now and then, like, every day! What's important, IMO, is to figure out exactly what we like and want in retirement, and then take steps to design our retirement around that to the extent possible.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
We traveled some for work, though not as much as many posters here. But work travel did not take us to some places like the hilltowns in Tuscany, where I like to spend some time wandering. Or to some fishing villages on the Mediterranean shore, where I can sit in the shade sipping some ouzo. Or I can also be in Provence sipping pastis. I am not picky.

We traveled for leisure through our working years, but we should have more time now, and less worry with the kids all grown up and established. We also have more money. The one thing that we have less is stamina, so need to do more soon while we still can.
Watch out for that ouzo! It'll get you every time, or did me anyway, in a small run down place on a hill overlooking Athens years ago. My parents, who insisted that I try it, were not amused with my behavior when I did.

You need to start scheduling your next trip today! None of us are getting any younger, that's for sure.