Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I'm simply pointing out the system isn't as bad as you said. If you don't want to retire here as matter of principal, that is fine. There are plenty of us who like retiring here.
I would like to have the option of retiring there but Florida is good enough and they are a little more fair on taxes. I can always visit Hawaii without sacrificing principal or principles.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Bit late on the reply, but the parents are currently retiring to the big island so I can offer that experience. They bought a big chunk of land for a pittance in the Puna region on the East side.

Hawaii probably has the biggest range of cost of living of any US state. Everyone knows how expensive it can be, but few consider how cheap off-grid living can be in a tropical climate. The East side of the island gets a lot of rain, mostly at night, and is truly a rain forest in parts. Solar PV, rainwater harvesting, and wireless internet have really changed the game there. It was pretty rough 20 years ago and is rapidly turning into a retirement destination in my opinion.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Affordable Paradise; the Secrets of an Affordable Life in Hawaii, by H. Skip Thomsen.
Yes, that one and look for the latest edition. It explains the numerous microclimates where you can choose your neighborhood temperature and precipitation by its altitude and position relative to the trade winds.

Another resource is Punaweb Home where you can read the forums about what stirs the locals in that district.

Hilo is a blue collar town with a protected bay, two colleges, the county seat, and significant ethnic groups. The daytime rain there is warm so the locals just get wet. The bay is nice for swimming and fishing, and there are numerous parks fronting the ocean on Kalanianaole Street.

This is where we stay Kohala Guest House Big Island of Hawaii Vacation Rental North Kohala Hawaii Vacation Rental on the northern tip of the island when we want to pretend that we are living on Big Island. It is a half mile to a beach park that has waves from Alaska beating on lava rocks and cliffs, so you have to drive elsewhere for swimming beaches.

An MLS real estate search site: AlohaLiving.com Property Search Property Search that helps you see the differences in the prices in different districts. Some are very exposed to new lava flows and priced accordingly.

Look for maps that show Big Island precipitation and other ones that show lava risk.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #24

The Big Island is my favorite island in Hawaii. In fact, I'll be vacationing there as of this Saturday. If anyone is living out there on the forum, let me know if you have any good locals advice for me.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #25

Late to the party - again.

Couple of comments to OP. Big Island is thought to be the least expensive island for housing - which is the biggest single component in most folks expenses who live here in the Islands. As always, there is a reason the houses are less expensive. Big Island has MUCH more land than the other islands. Also, Big Island is "less desirable" in terms of features/amenities most folks want in their living area (see below for some examples).

In addition to Skip Thompson's book (which focuses on living on the Big Island) I would suggest Tony Polancy's book "So You Want to Live in Hawaii"
So You Want to Live in Hawaii: Toni Polancy: 9780966625301: Amazon.com: Books
Her book gives you a lot of details about the issues of living in all the Islands (the good and the not so good).

I love the Big Island - to visit. It is a very interesting place with lots of different features to view and experience. It's just too laid back for me. There is not much to do other than to enjoy the weather and explore the beauty of the Island. If you can exist on that (and not get rock fever) more power to you. I couldn't. I like my paradise a little "spoiled". I'm willing to pay for it.

Health care would be an issue to me. For many procedures (and even tests) one must fly to Oahu. While you are healthy, that should not be a major issue, but emergencies can be more life-threatening. Air ambulance runs are fairly common as I understand it. Check for yourself.

By the way, do you know what "VOG" is?

Costs OTHER than housing tend to be rather much higher on Big Island (as well as all the Islands other than Oahu). Makes sense. Almost every thing comes to Oahu FIRST on container ships or other cargo vessels. THEN it gets barged to the other Islands. IIRC, gasoline is only produced on Oahu, so our $4.25 gas could be $5 on Big Island (don't quote me - google it). Electricity which is outrageous on Oahu is worse on the other islands - if you can get it.

Several folks have complained about the "unfairness" of the private pension taxation. Two things. They are incorrect. Private AND public pensions are NOT now taxed in the islands. True, 401(k) distributions are taxed. I wish they were not, but I don't see anything unfair about that. All states have tax needs (and wants) and they decide how to extract that money from their citizens. If folks really want to change the system, they can do so - though Hawaii is like all states. Citizens want more "free" stuff, not less. My biggest complaint about Hawaii taxes is the same as fed taxes. They are often wasted. But that could be construed as "political", so I won't pursue it further. Suffice to say that Hawaii is a relatively high tax state - BUT for retirees, there are several tax breaks (larger RE exemptions, no pension OR SS taxes, BUS passes cheap for 65+, etc. etc.) We LOVE our keiki and kupuna in the Islands.

Sounds like SWR has spent some time on Big Island. A very good way to determine if it is for you. I suggest renting first, just in case it doesn't work out. I also suggest looking at other islands - just for fun, or to see if you might be missing something. Good luck and, as always, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #26

Little bit funny ... learned over the weekend (golfing) a friend is ON HGTV. He bought a small 2 BR condo on the Big Island. It's 109 units all new. Paid 149K ... units now selling for ~200k.

Issue is the pool ... one was promised but never built. HOA will probably sue the developer. 6 miles from the ocean.

Oh! The drama!
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
By the way, do you know what "VOG" is?

I have first-hand knowledge of what happens when VOG meets tamper-resistant paper and inks used in the printing industry - esthetically displeasing results. We had to use different formulations for products we produced for the Bank of Hawaii.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #28

We have been here for a few days now. Saw some beautiful condos in the Mauna Lani area selling for around $900K for 2,000 square feet. About a mile to the beach. I am always very tempted to buy whenever we are out here, but I can't justify owning a second home so far away. So I guess just some more dreaming for me.

But it sure is beautiful out here. Heading off to see the volcano shortly.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:43 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We have been here for a few days now. Saw some beautiful condos in the Mauna Lani area selling for around $900K for 2,000 square feet. About a mile to the beach. I am always very tempted to buy whenever we are out here, but I can't justify owning a second home so far away. So I guess just some more dreaming for me.

But it sure is beautiful out here. Heading off to see the volcano shortly.
We love Mauna Lani ! We are here on the Big Island for 3 weeks now as I am competing in the Ironman 70.3 on the 31st. The price of the condos are not so bad but the issue tends to be with the maintenance fees (around $1800/mo). That's what has kept us from buying here..
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
We love Mauna Lani ! We are here on the Big Island for 3 weeks now as I am competing in the Ironman 70.3 on the 31st. The price of the condos are not so bad but the issue tends to be with the maintenance fees (around $1800/mo). That's what has kept us from buying here..
I'm staying in Hali'i Kai (Waikoloa Beach) now, where the condo fees run from about $1200-$1800 per month. The condos we looked at buying (Kulalani in Mauna Lani) run from $1,000-$1,200 per month. The nice thing about the Waikoloa unit is that it is 200 feet from the ocean with a completely private lanai, so nothing but ocean to look at from the lanai outward. The unit is listed for sale at $1.15M because of the view. Without the view the unit would only be $450K.

However, looking at VRBO rates, I just can't economically justify buying these places. I'm renting this unit for $200/night, and in Kulalani I see 2,000 square foot units being quoted during the low season at $4,700 per month. So even if we wanted to live out here for 3 months per year, the rent would be less than just the HOA fees we would have to pay annually.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #31

Quote:

The unit is listed for sale at $1.15M because of the view. Without the view the unit would only be $450K.

However, looking at VRBO rates, I just can't economically justify buying these places. I'm renting this unit for $200/night
Wow ... that's a no brainer! Let some one else subsidize your housing.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #32

We keep toying with the idea of a small condo on Maui or maybe Oahu, where we would stay during the colder central california months. Maybe 3-4 months a year...rent it out the rest of the time. Not sure I want to further complicate my life and assets, so it may never happen. But, we'd never move there permanently, only seasonally.

R