Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-15-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Try Regency Seven Seas. We get their ads all the time, and the brochures feature all gray-haired models and no kids.

I can vouch for Regency Seven Seas and Windstar. We did a balcony room on the Paul Gaugin in Tahiti which was awesome. And we did a Windstar in the Caribbean. Both ships had people in their 40's-60's with few kids.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Another option we are considering is an all inclusive resort in Cozumel, Cancun or around there, as the Mayan ruins are the real goal. From Cozumel there are ferries to the mainland which is nice.

You will see a lot more ruins if you're land based so if that's your priority, I'd do land based in Playa Del Carmen.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We were on a Princess ship maybe 15 years ago that stopped in Progreso, MX and we did an excursion to the city of Merida and to the Mayan ruins of Uxmal. Loved both. We never mind being tourists, but there were hardly any tourists in Merida and no big groups. Cozumel's ruins are fine but not in the same league imo.
+1
Uxmal was recommended to me by a friend as being much less crowded
I have attached a copy of our trip story. I am happy to answer any questions
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mayan trip2004.pdf (965.3 KB, 8 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You will see a lot more ruins if you're land based so if that's your priority, I'd do land based in Playa Del Carmen.
Thanks, DW is checking out all inclusive options now...
Old 04-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #25

We just got off Holland America Ft. Lauderdale to Rome--13 nights. Everyone was just so old on that cruise line.

We've sailed on 15+ cruises on 6 different lines. For common priced cruises, we like the Celebrity cruises. Those cruising Viking, Oceanam Seaborn, etc. or the European river cruises can take 4-5 major cruises for the price of one ultra luxurious cruise line.

We've been to the Caribbean and Mexico so many times that we've gone to cruising to more far away places like The Med, Greek Isles and Baltics (Scandinavia.) With budget airlines like Norwegian Air Shuttle, we're getting our money's worth.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
We've sailed on 15+ cruises on 6 different lines.
DW was talking to a lady at Tai Chi today who likes the Princess line; we haven't been on them, and from the little I know their ships appear to be, in general, larger than we'd like......are you familiar with them?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #27

We have settled on Royal Caribbean. One main reason. They have inside cabins with large bay windows. These are usually anywhere from $300 to $500 per person cheaper than water windows/balcony.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #28

I haven't been on Princess. We have done Regent Seven Seas, Windstar and Celebrity. I think there are cruises for everyone, but which one is right for you depends on your interests and preferences. We prefer smaller ships that can get into the smaller island ports without tendering. We don't care about nightlife and shows on the ship. Our priorities are the itinerary, outdoor activities offered, age profile of typical passengers (we prefer no or limited # of kids), and good food with flexible dining options. We don't like "formal nights." So for us, smaller ships are perfect. But if you enjoy dressing up for dinner, having several nightlife options, and are ok with 3000-5000+ passengers of all ages, the bigger ships like RC and Princess may appeal to you. The larger ships are definitely less expensive so that's another consideration.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I haven't been on Princess. We have done Regent Seven Seas, Windstar and Celebrity. I think there are cruises for everyone, but which one is right for you depends on your interests and preferences. We prefer smaller ships that can get into the smaller island ports without tendering. We don't care about nightlife and shows on the ship. Our priorities are the itinerary, outdoor activities offered, age profile of typical passengers (we prefer no or limited # of kids), and good food with flexible dining options. We don't like "formal nights." So for us, smaller ships are perfect. But if you enjoy dressing up for dinner, having several nightlife options, and are ok with 3000-5000+ passengers of all ages, the bigger ships like RC and Princess may appeal to you. The larger ships are definitely less expensive so that's another consideration.
For us, smaller, older, ships are the ones we prefer...there's a German (IIRC) line, (the name of which escapes me at the moment), that operates with small(er) ships that can access (European) ports that the behemoths can't get into......(no interest in the Caribbean....been there, etc, although the three weeks from today departure hits a few southern spots).

We wouldn't travel on one of the newer Leviathans unless the deal was so good that they were virtually paying us to go on them.

Totally agree on the formal nights/shows/nightlife, (although on one HAL ship they had a great lecturer giving historical background on the European ports we visited).

Food.....as long as it's edible...we're not foodies, but do require refueling periodically.

Kids....since we generally do repositionings they're pretty rare, but most of (not all) the ones we've encountered have been pretty good...(one trip a woman, Swedish I think, had three or four, max age five or six, that she handled all on her own and did a superb job).

À Chacun Son Goût........(a phrase that I've used often lately)

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote