Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Thoughts On Aging
Old 09-15-2006, 09:31 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Don't do it;* There's no future in it.
Today I met a man who has decided to do just that. He said he was retired; looked about 55 so I said: "so you took ER?" Well, no, he said, not ER, but eretired three years ago, at age 71.* This 74 year old does not have one wrinkle. Obviously living healthy and enjoying retirement. Was a CEO. Says aging well is in his genes. Go figure!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
Today I met a man who has decided to do just that. He said he was retired; looked about 55 so I said: "so you took ER?" Well, no, he said, not ER, but eretired three years ago, at age 71.* This 74 year old does not have one wrinkle. Obviously living healthy and enjoying retirement. Was a CEO. Says aging well is in his genes. Go figure!
I say good genes are the ticket. I swear some people age at about 2/3 the rate of everyone else. They need to gather them all up and study their genes.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:10 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is no doubt that genes dictate a significant part of how we age. Yet I believe that there is a significant mental component as well. Negativity can age you, as can sustained stress. My grandfather, who is going to turn 96 soon, goes through life with no real stress. He doesn't worry about the fact that:

--His computer doesn't work (or that he often can't figure out how to use it)
--My mother (his DIL) is constantly telling him that he forgets things (which he really doesn't, but that's another story)
--There is a war in Iraq (after witnessing WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Gulf War I, etc... he simply shrugs)
--Politicians lie (and he's seen more than his fair share of them)
--Things are getting more expensive (he knows he can't do anything about it)

Etc...

Why? Because to him, none of it really matters. Only the simple things do. A good game of bridge, watching a special on PBS, taking a walk around the block, and a nice conversation are about all he wants to do these days. When he can't do these things anymore, he'll probably decide it's time to go. Until then, he will just go about his business.

My grandmother, who passed away at 96, had the same attitude. She was a firm believer in the idea that everything happens for a reason, even if she didn't know why (as was the case 99% of the time). Although her mind began to fail at around 93, she wasn't stressed about it, probably because she didn't know it was happening. She lived a simple life, and that's all she wanted.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I told my husband the other day I can't figure out how I ended up married to such an old man. Mind you I am six months older than him and gray myself. The power of humor makes aging much easier to take. And much easier than the alternative.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer
I told my husband the other day I can't figure out how I ended up married to such an old man. Mind you I am six months older than him and gray myself. The power of humor makes aging much easier to take. And much easier than the alternative.
This reminds me of the opening sceen in "About Schmidt". Schmidt looks over at his sleeping gray haired wife and wonders the same thing.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:04 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorttimer
I told my husband the other day I can't figure out how I ended up married to such an old man.
My spouse says that old men are more valuable.

She knows that she could turn me in today for a couple of 23-year-olds, but if I live for another 23 years then she could turn me in for three 23-year-olds.* And if I live to be 92, well, hey, then maybe all her fantasies will be realized.

Apparently, though, this gender rebate doesn't work from the other side.* Every time we go to the beach I keep pointing out candidates worthy of my further consideration but she says they just wouldn't work out...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My wife dosnt worry about me chasing young women.She says We have a dog that chases cars but cant drive!
Old 09-18-2006, 06:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
I say good genes are the ticket. I swear some people age at about 2/3 the rate of everyone else. . .
I think it's just the quality of their sunscreen.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I think it's just the quality of their sunscreen.* *
My pet theory is there are three aging genes and a very small part of the population is missing one of them, so the age exactly 2/3 the speed of everyone else.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:08 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

The best thing about aging is now i got all this great maturity and deep emotional insight.

yeah right
Old 09-28-2006, 07:19 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was out to dinner with a group the other night and we got to discussing our ages. I had always assumed the guy next to we was
in his 80s. Turns out he is 68! I am 62. Yikes! I always say I wish I felt as good as I look. Meant as a joke but true in a way.

JG
Old 11-03-2006, 03:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boont

I always seem to be the only man at these things. Over 150 women and six men by my count this time. Was the same with Francis Mayes who wrote "Under the Tuscan Sun" and Elaine Bronco (the shrink on the Sopranos).

Also, own your flaws. Don't let anyone else use them against you. If you get to them first they will be out of luck.

boont
I think you meant Lorraine Bracco (sp?). I always thought she was hot!
So did Tony S. In real life she went through a bankruptcy
('The Sopranos' fixed that problem for her) and made some very questionable spousal selections (I believe she is on her 3rd).

I "own my flaws" and by that measure I am a very rich man.

JG
Old 11-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Old is ten years older than I am

Someone said that and so far it has been true, for me. I have gotten more philosophical as I age, there is so much I have no power over such as politics, prices, wars, people's attitudes, weather so forth and so on. I just take life as it comes enjoy what I can and leave the rest to others. I have a sister who rants and raves about almost anything. She has been packing and repacking for a trip for the last two days and getting more and more upset because she can't fit everything. I don't see that it does her any good as most of the things she gets upset about never happen. I just let her do her thing and ignore her rages as they are not directed to me anyway, she knows better.

The mirror is for making sure I don't scare little kids and I haven't buttoned my blouse funny or something weird like that. I am amused at the grey haired old lady staring back at me with all these scars and bruises, but at least I recognize her

Kitty

Old 11-03-2006, 09:16 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

To quote that famous senior golfer and philosopher ChiChi Rodriguez

"The older I get the better I used to be"

2soon
Old 11-03-2006, 09:25 AM   #35

At Angeles City (the old Clark US Air Force) I talked to an 89 year old Australian guy that was still getting out to the bars and "dating" filipina ladies. He loved to have his picture taken with his honey ko's to show his buddies back home.

Sure gives me hope...

Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:34 AM   #36

We have a family friend who is 89, looks MANY years younger, also acts much younger. His mind is as sharp as a razor blade!!!

After his wife passed away several years ago, he decided to sell his house....said it was just too big for one person. He moved into to an apartment in a very nice, upscale, senior complex. Most of his neighbors were much younger than he was.....you know, 60's....70's.....just kids!

He lived there for about a year or less.....decided he wanted a house instead. The guy is VERY well off financially....always has been. Instead of going out and buying a new (or newer) house, he bought a fixer-upper.....that needed ALOT of fixing-upping...about 3 years ago!!! He decided it would be a nice little project for him. He did ALL the work himself. Tore out the old plaster, hung new dry wall, painted, plumbed, rewired, yada-yada-yada.....

He fell off his step ladder one night while painting in the hallway. He said he was sore for a few days, and knew he shouldn't have been up on that ladder.......He said he knew he should have used his "good" step ladder instead, but didn't want to get paint on it!

The house is all remodeled and he is happy.

I want to be like him when I reach his age......in 40 more years!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 AM   #37
Confused about dryer sheets

Who would have thought we would ever get to this point.

Yesterday I bought a cup of coffee at the Dunkin Donuts in Middletown, CT. A very sharp teenage girl took my order. When i watched the cash register transaction a code something like this appeared = "-.13 senr disc"

ohmygod it happened - my first ever senior discount and i hadnt asked.for it Must have looked pretty old to her (i'm 58 and at least feel young ). Anyway i congratulated her on being "my first', and she laughed, as did I. Had to happen sometime!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Man, I can relate to getting the senior discount for the "first time."

I'm 59 but with strikingly white hair, so folks (mostly teenagers) have been giving me the discount on their own volition on occasion for some years. We just moved to a new city, though, that has "senior citizen" movie discounts at 55. So, this past Saturday I asked for and received the first "official" discount...

Stranger feeling even than having been given it without asking for it.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

10%(age 62 and over) discount at one of my favorite Chinese buffetts - and no I usually don't have to show my ID.

Sigh

heh heh heh - I try not to have thoughts on aging - reality is real enough.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I remember my first senior-discount-type moment. I was 35, and surfing in San Diego. Up on the beach, in my wetsuit, I'm buying something from the teenager at a food stand, and she says "You're surfing? Good for you!"