Thoughts on buy or lease new car, Technology changing fast

When I look at your car I'm guilty of at least 2 of the seven deadly sins, lust and envy! :( ;)

Laurence said:
When I look at your car I'm guilty of at least 2 of the seven deadly sins, lust and envy! :( ;)

When I was your age, I was not even close to driving the nice Volvo that you are currently driving. So you are in pretty good shape! I was also wishing for a better ride. This was one of my motivations for saving in my 30's and 40's. Now that I'm an old fart of 55, I can splurge on cars! 8)

You are right, I just remember what I'm saving for - believe me, I'll be splurging in my 50's, too!

Cut-Throat said:
Well.........I just bought a car in New Jersey. I live in Minneapolis. I saved about $3 Grand.
Yeah, but you had to fly to New Jersey and then, against all logical thought & bodily instincts, drive back across the northeast/northcentral winter US to get back to more winter... sure hope those leather seats included heating coils.

Cut-Throat said:
Well.........I just bought a car in New Jersey. I live in Minneapolis. I saved about $3 Grand. - If you are buying a car that is in high demand, it may not matter what negotiating tactic you use. My local dealer told me to go to N.J. because he could sell the car to someone else. So I did! East coast has more competition among Lexus Dealers.

- Here is the new ride!

NewRide.jpg

Nice car..............GS350:confused:

Nords said:
Yeah, but you had to fly to New Jersey and then, against all logical thought & bodily instincts, drive back across the northeast/northcentral winter US to get back to more winter... sure hope those leather seats included heating coils.

Heated seats as well as Air conditioned seats!

Those cars are nice.......... :D :D

I read your posts about saving money on a Lexus by going East Coast? Pretty common.

A friend of mine works at a Lexus dealer here. He told me that Lexus has on average a 17% markup from invoive to sticker. If we extrapolate, that means the involce on a $50,000 Lexus is roughly $41500. With an $8500 markup, there's a lot of room to deal. However, a LOT of people pay sticker for them, so a lot of dealers feel they don't need to budge much. Let's say the Minneapolis dealer wanted $47500, and the NJ dealer did it for $44500. They both made money, but the one that's looking for volume will deal more, or have to.

Did you try Chicago?

I wonder if you really had to go all the way to New Jersey or not. ?

Perhaps walking into the local dealer, offering your reasonable but lowball price and saying no to counteroffers would work.

Some dealers don't really start negotiating in good faith until you are headed out of the sales office, heading towards your (previous) car and on the the way home.

Some of them have silly rules like you have to have touched the exit door handle before you get the good price. This is for real beleive it or not.

One of my best deals was negotiated a week later on a car that the owner "just couldn't get close to" and that we were "way far apart" on.

Cut-Throat said:
I tried Chicago and they were $1500 higher than Jersey. I tried Philly, Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Denver, Phoenix, Chicago, New York

Ended up getting the car from the largest Lexus dealer on the east coast.
My car's sticker was $52800, the invoice was $46200 - I closed the deal at $47K

I'll bet it cost you less than $3000 to fly there, drive back, and enjoy life along the way................ :D

You could afford the time to shop the US.........not mnay folks can........... ;)

Anyone try using the costco type buying groups ? They also have one for my credit union . Its new and used cars.

spideyrdpd said:
Anyone try using the costco type buying groups ? They also have one for my credit union . Its new and used cars.

New cars.....ok price. used cars? Not so good.............. ;)

I'll get a new car when they come out with a Flex fuel (E85 capable), plug-in hybrid that can run on electric only for at least 30-40 miles on a full charge. Oh, and it should look like a normal car too, not like one of nerdy air-flow-is-everything freak-mobiles.

Back
Top Bottom