Join Early Retirement Today

Three weeks left
Old 02-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Three weeks left

I'm a Boomer, but I can change, if I have to, I guess. Three weeks from today I retire from the Federal Government and I am borderline euphoric! It came a little faster than I thought it would, but I'm not looking back. I have a house payment, some credit card debt and a car payment, but I have a pension of about $55,000, a low six figure balance in my TSP and several offers coming in to work after this. I will, no doubt do a little something, but if I have to, I cash in the TSP, pay off the cards and reinvest the remainder. The best part...the absolute best part...is that from here on out, I am making the decisions about what I do and don't do and those of you who haven't gotten to this point yet have no idea how liberating that is. The only plans I have right now are to shop for new golf clubs this week end. Woo Woo!! And I have to say, reading this board for a few short months has given me the little push I needed. Thanks all.

setab

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Three weeks left
Old 02-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Setab,

Congratulations and good luck! Don't want to rain on your parade but with house payments, car payments and credit card debt, this might not be the time for new golf clubs.

Grumpy

Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumpy,

Thanks. Don't worry, I'll be fine. Lots of options out there and just considering them is more fun than what I've been doing.

setab
Old 02-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats, Setab!

Watch out for those job offers. They really enhance your ego but they involve an unbelievable amount of... work.

You might find that even being expected to show up in an office two or three times a week is a big conflict with your new commitments & lifestyle, especially having to support a set of high-maintenance golf clubs.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:46 PM   #5

Setab,

I retired from NASA in 2002 and then worked for a NASA contractor two to three days a week for two years until my wife retired. That gave me a nice gradual transition to full retirement. It also allowed me to save big $ since I was collecting my gov't pension and making more working three days a week than I would have made if I had stayed in the civil service. Something to consider.

Grumpy
Old 02-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds good, enjoy it.

Any plans to pursue new interests? Senior Tour maybe?

Old 02-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have lots of plans swirling in my head right now, but I am going to let them settle down before I act on them. I am not a good golfer; I just miss it and want to get back to it. I want to refine my eating habits and drop a bunch of weight, write some, pursue my wine collecting hobby, and maybe, evenwork for a contractor a few days a week, month or whatever. However, I have no firm plans and don't plan to have any for a month or two after March 3. All I can say is, this is exciting and I am ready to move to the next phase of my life.

setab
Old 02-10-2006, 05:48 PM   #8

Congrats - another success RE story of a soon retired federal employee.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I have lots of plans swirling in my head right now, but I am going to let them settle down before I act on them.* I am not a good golfer; I just miss it and want to get back to it.* I want to refine my eating habits and drop a bunch of weight, write some, pursue my wine collecting hobby, and maybe, evenwork for a contractor a few days a week, month or whatever.* However, I have no firm plans and don't plan to have any for a month or two after March 3.* All I can say is, this is exciting and I am ready to move to the next phase of my life.
See, you've already answered the "Waddya DO all day" question and you haven't even started ER yet!

Enjoy.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords,

Thanks. You hit on another key point for me. With all I have to do yet, I just don't have time to work anymore.

setab
Old 02-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Congrats, Setab!

Watch out for those job offers.* They really enhance your ego but they involve an unbelievable amount of... work.*
My ego must not be that big. I know I could land a job once I retire, but no way in hell. 7 years & 3 months to go, but who's countiing ....