Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My biggest fear is retiring then losing our shirts with an economy that crashes-- at least now I feel a bit better that folks that retired in 2008 are not doing so bad and weathered it fine. Thanks for sharing, makes me feel a little less scared.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed
My biggest fear is retiring then losing our shirts with an economy that crashes-- at least now I feel a bit better that folks that retired in 2008 are not doing so bad and weathered it fine. Thanks for sharing, makes me feel a little less scared.
Fear is debilitating. I'm only on my 3rd month of ER and enjoy reading about those who have gone on into ER before me. Everything will be fine.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
You could always keep working until the next recession, and then keep working a few years longer...

Just kidding. The best approach for that situation is a "bare-bones" version of your regular budget, with possibly some part-time work. The retirement calculators that look at withdrawal sequences usually fail to take variable withdrawals into account.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed View Post
Ironically, the crash in late 2008 turned out to be a huge benefit for me and my ER budget. This is because the company stock I sold when I left the company had fallen very little, while the bond fund I used the proceeds to buy into had nearly hit its bottom, enabling me to buy about 25% more shares than I had anticipated at the bargain-basement prices. This has kept my monthly dividends nice and healthy while the bond fund's price has rebounded, along with the stock portion of my overall portfolio.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:20 AM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the update walkinwoods. I always wondered how people were doing that went out just before/during that downturn. If you can survive that you (and we?) can survive almost anything. Congradulations!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:06 AM   #26

Congratulations on your anniversary. I just realized mine was a couple of days ago May 18. I ERed in 2008 and we moved shortly thereafter to get out of the snow and cold. We still get some snow here and there but it melts in a day or less. I don't even own a snow shovel anymore (it was decommissioned with ceremony and a hack saw.

My son in law is moving to Denver soon as I am sure we will be getting over there to see them after they settle in. Being in the West is good as long as you don't go over the border into Kaliforniastan. Very strange goings on over there...we avoid it as much as we can (which is hard with DW's large family all still behind the Redwood Curtain.)

We took quite a hit on our investments during these past years as well. We also took a gamble and bought into a local store that was struggling and have been building it up over the past year of so. So our finances have been pretty stretched to say the least. I still have a son in school who we help out from time to time and there is my mother and DW's folks that we help from time to time too. We have cut back on many things but don't have time to miss them with the store taking a lot of our time and tallents. It it makes it that will be great but the key if for DW to enjoy the experience while she can. Lost one wife 7 months into her ER so that is a priority for me.

That past 3 years have been rough on everyone and it was a wake up call to many who thought the gravy train would never derail. Well it did and it took out many other sacred cows along the way like housing, bonds, jobs, and other things. We have managed through so far with spending controls and cost avoidance (don't buy it if you can rent it or borrow it).

Things are starting to turn the corner in our investments and we are about even from 2007. It have been a FireCalc scenario that one never thought would really happen...too far off the trend line to be real....we now a a new reality and a better appreciation for all of the FireCalc calculation events...none are out of the question. How you deal with it is the key.

So, at 5 years of ER do we get a tie tack or something from the catalog to celebrate our first major milestone? Oh wait,...that was in a former life.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
So, at 5 years of ER do we get a tie tack or something from the catalog to celebrate our first major milestone? Oh wait,...that was in a former life.

Congrats to you guys for making 3 and 5 years, and thanks for posting an update on how things are going.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:32 AM   #28

Congratulations SteveR. We don't need no stinking tie pins or wrist watches.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Couldn't agree more, Denver is fantastic. I don't like snow, and like ha I prefer the sand and salt, so I'll be heading elsewhere, but I do have family in Denver and appreciate what it offers. Congratulations!
I wish I had the money to have a home in the mountains and one near the beaches. Dream dream dream. But, I will probably always live here in MS. I'm only about 3 hours from the beach so I can easily satisfy my salt water needs. And a couple of weeks in the mountains will probably satisfy those desires as well. A better solution for a retiree on a beer med budget.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations walkinwood and enjoy your move ! I also retired in 2008 . It was a sobering experience but I just got expenses a little and I am now just about back to were I was despite spending $100,000 on living expenses .
Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! Next week marks our 4th anniversary in retirement.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #32

Good for you WnW! My 3 year comes up in July.

-- Rita
Old 05-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #33

Congratulations walkinwood. As others have said, if you can ER just before such a big market downturn and still make a success out of your retirement, it's very inspirational for many of us.

My 3 year anniversary comes up in, erm, about 3 years

Tags
er update