Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tied Down by Home/and or Pets.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I leave my lab at a kennel for 2 months when I go south. I feel guilty,
but the condo has a limit of one dog, 20 lbs, so..............

The kennel is on a farm near my home and I know the owner is very
fond of "Maggie". Still, I would take her along if I could.

JG

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I too am interested in the pet sitters WAB and OldMcD found - where did you get them and how did you like them -- or rather, how did the pets like them
We asked our vet for recommendations, interviewed a couple of them, and settled on one who seemed responsible and responsive.

She eventually sold the biz, and we've been really happy with the couple who took over. FWIW, they're listed with Pet Sitters International.

The dogs love them, but they love everybody. The cat is somewhere between indifferent and offended, but she likes it better than a kenel.

We have them come over three times a day to walk/feed/play. The sitters tend to stay pretty long because they like our place. One of them even celebrated her birthday on our deck.

They keep a log of the visits and note any issues. (E.g., they asked me to make the toilet easier to flush once, and I obliged.) They even bring the trash cans back in, pick up the mail, and call us if anything needs immediate attention. We also check-in with them via email once in a while.

It works great for us.

Old 01-25-2007, 11:42 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a topic that my husband and I wrestle with as well.

Before when we just had cats it was easy. A reliable pet sitter we knew did a fantastic job for us for many years.

Now we have dogs and they need a lot of regular attention. For longer vacations we've driven up to 250 miles round-trip to kennel them at a top-notch facility, typically a family-owned place that comes with impeccable recommendations from multiple sources (vet, trainer, AND friends). For shorter trips we are trying a new approach. We've recently acquired a small fiberglass trailer. We're remodeling the front half and as part of the remodel we will be incorporating a doggy kennel (no door) which can be our current dog's home away from home. This will give him his own bed and a place to be out of the way when we are cooking or cleaning. The remodel will be finished by next summer and then we'll take it out for a spin with myself, my husband, and our 60 pound standard poodle.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderdude
. . .
How do fellow pet owners/travelers deal with this? I do not want to travel with the pets.
We have two cats that live inside. They entertain themselves and freefeed. We can leave for at least two weeks without having to worry about them. We leave a lot of litter pans in the laundry room and a couple of large bowls of food and water. We are fortunate to have several kids in the neighborhood who are always happy to make some money taking care of Bubba, our black lab. Bubba spends most of his time in the back yard but comes in and sleeps at the foot of our bed at night. When we travel, he stays in our large backyard and sleeps in his house. The neighborhood kids get a key to our gate and come in and feed him, check his water and play fetch. We pay them the same amount we would pay a kennel, but he seems much happier staying in his backyard.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:14 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, this was a serious problem for us the first several years of ER. We found a really NICE pet boarding facility with small rooms for the cats instead of cages, and a vet facility on site. We used it heavily. I'm sure the cat wasn't crazy about it - she'd caterwaul at night when we brought her home. As she got older she developed special medical needs.

The vet would tell us that it was hard on her to be put somewhere while we traveled, but we really didn't see any choice especially when she needed special medical attention.

She lived to 20. Once she passed we knew there would be no other pets for a good long while - it really does make travel difficult if you have to leave them behind.

Audrey
Old 01-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #26

We are just hitting this phase. We are down to two dogs, an 8 year old Great Dane and a maybe 7 year old spaniel/border collie mix (both adopted as adult dogs so their histories and ages are unknown). We are less than seven years away from ER. When the Dane goes, we are going to have to fight the urge to get another dog. I really want to travel extensively abroad when we bail from our jobs.

I think we'll travel a lot the first 5 plus years then slow down later on. At that point we could get another dog.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1
The vet would tell us that it was hard on her to be put somewhere while we traveled, but we really didn't see any choice especially when she needed special medical attention.

She lived to 20. Once she passed we knew there would be no other pets for a good long while - it really does make travel difficult if you have to leave them behind.

Audrey
Having had 2 cats with medical issues as they aged (diabetes, hyperthyroidism), I completely empathize. My kitties needed injections/meds twice daily, special foods, etc., etc. They were on meds for 1 to 2 years before they passed. Fortunately, I found professional pet sitters who were familiar with giving meds/injections. Cats are really easy until they get older. You can't leave them unattended with just bowls of food and water for the weekend anymore...

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #28

I'm lucky with my parents living next door, they wouldn't think of boarding our lab or taking him with us, they think of him as their dog too. I've also thought a lot about what I'll do once he's gone, I'm leaning towards becoming a foster home. I figure that will still enable me to have a pet from time to time but also give me pet free time to travel if I want. I know the Lab Rescue League uses foster homes because that's where my little guy came from and they were the ones that gave me his sad background. I suppose I'll decide that when the time comes.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #29

Leaving the animals behind was/is a problem for us also.

We have 3 dogs(all volunteers - that just showed up) 3 cats(volunteers) and get this........a pot bellied pig - also a volunteer that showed up on our property(12 acres) about 8 months ago - she is a character. It is a shame that people come to the "country" and dump their animals - what are these folks thinking?!

We found a nice guy - kind of an old hippie that has a house watcher biz. He comes over every day lets the dogs off the porch/plays w/ them, cleans the cat box and checks all the food and water....yes also for miss piggy.

It cost $20 per day, $600 per month - does this sound high?

We have used him several times, once for a 5 week trip to FL. I hate having the added expense but find that I worry alot less while on the road.

As these dogs/cats etc go the the big farm in the sky - they will not be replaced. They are great to have now w/ the kids being home but I want to be free to go when the whim hits.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo

We found a nice guy - kind of an old hippie that has a house watcher biz.

That doesn't seem high. I pay $30 for a lady to keep my 2 dogs at her house!

I love animals and would seriously consider being the hippie gal who has a house watcher biz, but I'm thinking that the caregiving thing where I could go stay in a new place would be more fun (and seem more like ER than w*rk). I wonder if some of those places would let me bring my 12 pound dog with me. Maybe that will be my thing - I'm free but come with a shih tzu.

I've mentioned before that one of my dogs is almost 16, well he has recently been showing signs of dementia. This is going to be hard!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

We had three cats and two dogs. We've gone away for 2-week stretches and the cats were fine with automatic feeders. The dogs we boarded. It does add significantly to the cost of a vacation.

We're retired now; we lost one dog last summer to cancer and this fall one of our cats died. I always thought I'd like to travel a lot when we retired, but we've changed our minds. If our house sells in this terrible market, we're moving to the country and we'll probably add a few animals.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I missed it, but has anyone priced out renting an RV so you can take your pets with you? My wife and I would like to continue some in-state california travel but a bunch of it would have to be 2-3 days. We'd have to bring our dogs with us if we did that.

Whats the ballpark per day/per mile charge and do they allow you to take pets or have a surcharge for that?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Maybe I missed it, but has anyone priced out renting an RV so you can take your pets with you? My wife and I would like to continue some in-state california travel but a bunch of it would have to be 2-3 days. We'd have to bring our dogs with us if we did that.

Whats the ballpark per day/per mile charge and do they allow you to take pets or have a surcharge for that?
I checked it out before we went and bought one. The rental price was very, very high -- like $900 to $1200 per week for a larger unit. And you get to share the previous renters' black water holding tanks as an added bonus. Since then, we learned that the real enjoyment of the RV comes after you take it out a half dozen times, get it set up the way you like it, establish your routines.

In your shoes I'd consider purchasing a clean used one for a few thousand if you can identify a place to keep it. If you already have a pickup truck maybe a 5th wheel. Failing that, maybe you can find a more reasonable rental after all.

Our big dog loved it. Loved the interior, loved the woods, loved the stimulation, and made herself right at home. The rig saved us $25 a day of kennel cost, too.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it looks like we not alone, anyway. . Sheesh, pot-bellied pigs, sheep, miniture horses!

It looks like we are going to be saddled with our dogs for most of our traveling. We did just buy a double cab pickup to haul a pop-up camper trailer, so we can bring the dogs with us. We also have a cat which we will have to still deal with over long absences. I will give a look at http://www.petsit.com/locate.asp also.

Thanks to all of you for your input. I'll be checking in for more input and/or commiseration.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

To add to Rich's comments, when we looked at renting not only was the cost very high, the companies available to us did not allow pets.

Also, you are often stuck with a huge advertising logo on the motorhome, which is offensive to some.

Cruise America seems to be the biggest player in the rental industry, www.cruiseamerica.com.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Mmm...no place to put it (well, I could cut down a large tree, knock down a fence, remove another half dozen extremely large shrubs, pour some concrete after making sure I wasnt covering part of the secondary leech field, and have a place...err...no...), and we'd use it maybe 3-4 times a year at most. 95% of our trips are one day. But it'd be nice to go down to san simeon, san diego, or eureka (hi al!) a couple of times.

I figured we'd be dealing with someone elses leftover goodies, but a lot of inexpensive hotel rooms treat you to that and more. Figured pet policies would limit us and leave us with a fairly half wrecked/stanky motor home.

But we could probably deal with it for 2-3 days. $1200 a week is pretty reasonable for a quick family vacation without buying into the storage/insurance/maintenance issues.

My neighbor has a pretty messy "hunting" 5th wheel to go with their regular high end 5th wheel, but alas I sold my expedition and I dont think my Pilot is within a country mile of being able to tow one of those. A fine effort on his behalf though to buy the new 5th wheel and then convince the wife to let him keep the old one for hunting trips.

Edit: checked out cruisamerica. Looks like pets a-ok as long as you clean it up and dont mind a $250 cleanup fee, which in my experience with renting stuff means they're going to charge you $250 no matter what, because they can. About $1200 including mileage for a 3 day rental and 1000 miles of travel, which is just about exactly what we'd be doing. Not too shabby.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor
I doubt if most people would want to try my solution.

I divorced 15 years ago, and my ex moved back east for a few years on
contracting jobs, although the house was still owned 50-50. Afterwards
she moved back, and we now live seperately in the same house (this
arrangement works out much better than being married did). This setup
has allowed us to keep dogs (3), since both of us like to travel. I also
solve the problem for a number of my friends, frequenty babysitting
about 6 other dogs (1 or 2 at a time)

You and your ex are remarkable people! And dog lovers too!
Old 01-26-2007, 07:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo
We found a nice guy - kind of an old hippie that has a house watcher biz. He comes over every day lets the dogs off the porch/plays w/ them, cleans the cat box and checks all the food and water....yes also for miss piggy.

We've paid $12/visit at the lowest, and $15 per visit at the highest. We have the sitter come in twice daily. Now that is for 2-4 cats. The visits supposedly last ~ 30 minutes. I've found rates vary depending on the number of animals.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
A lot of RVers travel with pets. It appears to be the majority that do. In fact, I suspect that a lot of folks own/use an RV specifically so they can take their pets with them when they travel.

But there are a lot of campground rules - pets always on leash outside, don't leave pet unattended, always pick up after your pet. Some campgrounds restrict pets or limit size or number. I see folks having to walk their dogs out in all sorts of weather - doesn't matter if it's raining or cold. Have to rub their dogs down and wipe paws before getting back in RV in wet weather. It's a job! Makes me so glad we're not traveling with pets!

I see rental RVers with pets. The Class C RVs that are popular for renting seem quite suitable for short-time family trip even with a pet or two. Yes, renting an RV is expensive and comparable to hotel/flight/car rental (no savings there), but it's a LOT LESS expensive than actually owning an RV!

Audrey

P.S. in renting an RV I'd be much more concerned about mattress/carpet cooties than a used but dumped black tank. You can always pour some bleach in the tank if you want it disinfected. Is it really any different than a motel room?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #40

I've always had pets. I'm one of those people always finding strays. Right now I have 1 cat and 1dog. The cat is about 12 . He was 6 months old when he showed up at my house. The dog I found on the streets and the vet said she was about 7 years old. If that is true then she is 12 also. I'm planning on retiring at the end of 2008. So I'm going to try real hard NOT to acquire any more pets. When they are gone I'm done for a while!!