Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tied Down by Home/and or Pets.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:31 AM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Thanks for this thread. I have about 7 weeks until ER and I'm tempted to get a dog! Reading all of your stories has convinced me to re-think. I want to be able to stay out all day, go away on a moments notice,etc. I do miss that doggy company, though. Our saintly family pet died 9 years ago. I'll reconsider one year out.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 07:30 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

I've had a chance to do a lot of thinking about this recently, with semi-retirement approaching and recently losing the family pooch.

There is absolutely no doubt that a dog is a ball and chain if you plan to do serious travel. Unless you are lucky enough to have family or friends nearby who will gladly watch your dog for weeks at a time and treat the dog like you would, you pay or the dog pays. Hard to argue that.

The alternative is to plan your life around your dog to some extent. Give up some spontaneity, pay big boarding bills, start RVing for much of your travel, and make other varied and sundry adjustments.

So I ended up rephrasing the question to myself. It's now, "how much does having a dog in our life mean to us, and how much are we willing to sacrifice for that to happen."

Not sure, but I gotta tell you it's a close call for us and the decision to get another one is slowly gaining ground. The benefits during the 75% our lives in which we are not travelling (or higher if you add in RVing) are pretty strong.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

earlier this month my brother took family skiing in the alps so i had their 1 year old golden retriever. poor thing being raised by them and their three little kids. took me two days to get it to heel and almost a week to knock at least some of the needy out of this dog. poor thing. anyway, it has been two years since i buried wolfpuppy so this offered ample opportunity to see if i wanted a dog again now or to continue my plan of possible continuous travel, maybe even selling the house and becoming a vagabond. after 10 days of cleaning up dog sh*t from the garden every day, of dog drool all over the house & me, of dog hair on everything, of that constant need for attention this puppy required, i feel certain in my decision to be petless for a while.

so my plan is no pet, maybe even no house, travel. but i do love dogs and i'll have a dog again either much later in life, or, similar to rving with pets, i would consider a dog to go along with a boat. i think if i got a puppy after moving aboard it could be trained to go on the poop deck so outside of lowering the puppy into the dinghy for shore excursions & fishing him out of the water when he falls in, travel would not be too inconvenient.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another option is to act as a foster home for some "furkids". There are a lot of rescue groups (by breed - see my link) that need a temporary home during a "time of need".

If you can spare a few weeks during a time of the year (assuming you are retired - have the time, and are not traveling) these folks can surely use your help.

You can get your "animal fix" (no matter if it's a dog, cat, or "other") and save an animal from a "pound".

Just an option you may want to consider if you are not 100% for/against having a pet in your life.

Do a search engine entry for the words "rescue" and your "breed of choice"...

- Ron
Old 01-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Another option is to act as a foster home for some "furkids". There are a lot of rescue groups (by breed - see my link) that need a temporary home during a "time of need".

While I am not FIRE'd yet (and have my hands full with the current allotment of pets) I have wondered about replacing these pets in the future when I am older and RE. i can't imagine not having them around, but the travel issues and my concern about their care should I die before them, make me wonder what I will do. This is a great idea that I will file away for the future.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa

Not sure, but I gotta tell you it's a close call for us and the decision to get another one is slowly gaining ground. The benefits during the 75% our lives in which we are not travelling (or higher if you add in RVing) are pretty strong.
Rich: I've got my money on you getting another one.

Sometimes solutions appear that you hadn't figured on. (Especially when you're retired).

We currently have a 4 year old Lab that is probably the best "Duck Dog"
that I've ever owned.

Problem: I quit hunting about 2 years ago. My dog "Buddy", I could tell was upset with me because he wasn't ready to retire early.

Solution: A young friend of mine lost his Chesapeke last year, and was questioning the practicality of having to go through the process of training another one. "Why not use Buddy? He's upset with me".

That arrangement has worked great, and on the occassion when my wife
goes with me on an out of town Golf Tournament, my young friend takes care of "Buddy".

A little specific, huh?

For us, not having a dog isn't an option. (Like the bumper sticker, "I wish I was half as good as my dog thinks I am).

Our adult children live a good distance from us, and they are busy with their own lives, but Buddy hasn't got an agenda (Now that i've got him back to working part-time).

Anyway, sorry you lost your dog, but I think your 75% figure places you in the probably a good idea area.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Rich: I've got my money on you getting another one. ...I think your 75% figure places you in the probably a good idea area.
I know, I know... Just not right now .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron'Da
Another option is to act as a foster home for some "furkids".
Do you get attached and miss 'em when its time to give them back?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Do you get attached and miss 'em when its time to give them back?
Of course, you do get "attached", but you have to remember that you are only providing a home (and I have two Shelties "of my own").

Just a side note. I "fostered" one two years ago (when I got involved with the organization) who had kidney disease. No one wanted "Kai" and he was on the list for more than six months. Since one of my previous Shelties had the disease, I knew what to expect, and how long he would probably live (once the diagnosis was made). My hope that he would live for "4 seasons"; he actually lived 9 months (but he did see the 4 seasons ). I knew that my time would be brief, that I would probably get "too close" to him (I did), but all in all - I did what was best in the situation. He loved to play frisbee (the organization didn't even know he had the "talent") and he became a real playmate to my (then) 3-year old female.

A few months after he was put down (you get to know when "its time") I got an emergency call from the organization at work. Seems that they had an "emergency" and needed a foster home ASAP. I was called at work on Friday, asking if I could possibly take a dog for a few weeks. At the time, they had 12 Shelties at the farm ("foster farm"?) and could not take another. All the other foster folks were either booked or on vacation. It seems this dog was rescued before, but was currently in a "bad situation" at the time (I won't go into it, here). Anyway, I agreed (since we had the room, and the "kibble" to spare).

As it turned out, this was a case of finding that Jessie was truly a "diamond in the rough" and it evolved from a two week temporary stay to a (so far) 2 year adoption.

You do what you can, with what you can. I've already committed to take on a "fur kid" in foster care after May 1, and will continue to do so (I have the room, and a big yard to run). I'm sure my retirement will be much more fun with a couple of extra "little Lassies" running in "the back 40" ...

- Ron
Old 01-30-2007, 12:47 PM   #50

Fostering is some thing I'm seriously considering for all of the above reasons. I need that "bag of fur" (as dh calls them) greeting me at the door but I also want some free time. I love our little lab dearly, he came from a rescue situation and I thank the foster home for giving him a good start to the journey to our home. We also want to travel some once I retire and I don't want to leave my parents with the task of taking care of my pets. They are watching my lab now and although they treat him like a member of their family it's still a lot to as of two 70+ people to do for more than a week or two at a time. He has seizures (the dog) and requires some extra attention and rigid schedule of meds to keep him seizure free.

Fostering would also please dh, he doesn't really want another pet.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #51

Good luck with that fostering...I and many others in our Border Collie rescue group are what are known as "failed fosters" in that we wound up keeping the foster permanently! I am fostering a BC puppy right now, Petey, who is working me to death with his housetraining, but I'm still hoping that I can get him out the door before we get too attached! His buddy Chance from the same shelter rescue already has a forever home, but we kept him to treat a bad case of demodex mange that came up. I'd like to keep the population at 4, but it creeps up!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #52

We have two dogs and they go to the doggie "resort" when we travel and do just fine. Going to the "resort" is much funner than being at home if you ask me....they get play time 3 times a day which includes walks, playing ball, running off-leash, swimming in the summer, massage time and cuddles with the staff, etc.

The longest they've ever been at the resort is a month while we were in Europe. I'm pretty sure that we'll always have dogs but I'm leaning towards smaller dogs in the future so they can travel with us. Our dogs right now are 80 lbs and 45 lbs.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclesters
I am fostering a BC puppy right now, Petey, who is working me to death with his housetraining
Good 4 U...

We like the "more mature" dogs that are housebroken. While we had pups in the past, I (and DW) have made the "requirement" that they be housebroken (or at least crate trained).

- Ron
Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

You might want to consider "puppy-raising" for a " Service dog organization" We've done it and learned so much . You get the puppy when they are about 8-12 weeks and raise and train they till they are about 14-18 months old. As one who had dogs all my life It been a way to have dogs in my life but not a 10+ year commitment. Great people to work with , bimonthly classes so you and the pup learn all you need to. Basicly they want the puppy's loved , confidantans well behaved. Puppys need to learn good house manners -Every one invovled are such great people to be with and wow did I learn alot about raising a dog.
Built in puppy sitters if you wish to travel ( within the organization) and low costs most groups pay vet bills and medications you cover food and toys. Most organizations will keep you informed on how you dog is doing after it leaves you. It a very fulling feeling getting them to their next step in thier training. Realising what an impact they will have on anothers life. Kinda like seeing your kid settling in at college, or off at the first job.
And if two years isn't enough theirs always more puppies to raise or puppies to babysit while others are on vacation.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 PM   #55

We just heard from our Matron of Honor. She is making as much money dog sitting than from her regular job. She goes over to the owner's house, plays with the dogs and all that good stuff. For lots of money, she will live there while the owner is out of town.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:37 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Our kids convinced us to allow a stray to join the family 16 years ago. The kids left home years ago but Paprikas is still here, at least 17 years old now. She has slowed down a LOT but her only real problem is incontinence (managed with low-dose phenylpropanolamine). We love her but we may need to make a difficult decision when we retire and leave the country for months at a time. Her longevity has come as a real surprise.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

When I was single, I had a gerbil or two. Let's not get into the issue of why a man in his 30s or 40s owns gerbils

I never felt ill at ease leaving the rodent(s) alone for as long as a week. On the rare longer trip, I had a friend who I trusted to look in on/feed & water the burrowing, gnawing critter. It's helpful that this type of pet lives in his own litter box, and only needs changing weekly or even few times a month.

For past four years I've lived with a girlfriend; she has to work, she owns the cats, so she has always stayed home caring for domestic issues while I frolic and travel where-ever.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #58
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedorrero
Let's not get into the issue of why a man in his 30s or 40s owns gerbils
Mr Gere? Is that you?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:21 PM   #59

We have one dog who we have tried to board on two occasions for two weeks. In both cases he didn't eat the entire time. Came back and he was skinny as a bone and hair falling out. Never again. Keeps us from traveling and we would really like to, but giving him up is also out of the question.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I have, now, two dogs and two cats. They are all spoiled beyond reason in some folks eyes

That is why I am getting an RV, for short trips the cats can stay home the dogs get to travel. For longer trips we all go together. Therefore the next RV has to be big enough for two adults, two dog, two cats. There will be a lot of fur in that RV for sure. However, there is nothing like a snuggle with a fur kid at night or any other time you need a little unconditional love

Kitty