Join Early Retirement Today

Time Share Resorts
Old 03-31-2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Time Share Resorts

Does anyone have any experience with time shares? Specifically, I'm looking into the Marriott Vacation Club http://www.vacationclub.com/en-us/ho...mePortal=guest

Are these time-shares worth the cost? What are the pros and cons?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Time Share Resorts
Old 04-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

GD-ER,

How do you "rent" timeshares? I'm assuming you haven't bought one yourself. Do you find people on-line or in classifieds who can't use their week or points? Or do you approach the hotel/unit yourself?

Richard

Old 04-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

My sister does not make all that much money at her profession, but ... she has purchased 2 timeshares on the resale market, and has clearly saved a ton. Oddly enough, she tells me I suggested that strategy (have zero recollection : ), and she found there was an active resale market with pricing way below that offered by developers.

Sounds like a reasonable investment for a small amount, recognizing the profit is made on the buy.

Good luck.

Old 04-03-2005, 03:42 AM   #4

There are a bunch of timeshares on the resort grounds where our condo is located. This is one investment
I never looked into. The concept always seemed
unattractive to me. Maybe if I had studied it more?
I have heard favorable reports from people who took
the plunge. Like everything else, best to do your
homework..............

JG
Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rarely are these 'investments' in the classic sense.

Hubby and I owned two weeks of a time share purchased from the developer. The location is/was high demand, the weeks just before tourist peak, the facility was constructed as a residential condo (not a motel/hotel conversion). We sold them for what we paid 12 years earlier, but I know of folks who purchased elsewhere who can't give them away.

There are claims that trading is a bargin. It is not cheap as you pay annual dues to the trading company (whether you trade or not), and a fee when you trade.

If we had taken that $ and invested it in a "vacation account", added the ongoing costs of the time share and trading, I think that it would have been a wash.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:30 PM   #6

Reading up on time shares a little further, it appears that the best way to purchase a time share is by buying a resale through the developer. If you buy through a third party, you may not receive all membership privileges.

I would still have to consider the annual fees and real estate taxes that run in the hundreds of dollars just to maintain the property as well as the amortized cost of the initial purchase to see if it would make econimic sense.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:16 PM   #7

I've stayed at a few, and talked to a few people who think they are a wonderful way to go. You basically have "prepaid" for the next 10 years (or whatever) of vacations.

BUT. The trading and maintenance fees can run you hundreds more, per year.

I think there are too many limitations. Sure, some of the big companies have resorts in most of the big resort vacation areas, but what if you want to go somewhere else? What if you want to choose your own hotel, or stay in one you have heard of, seen, liked...., or can't get a week at the time you want to go....

It's just not for me, I would never do it.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:17 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

What makes me squeamish about time shares is that if it is not working out for you and you can't sell it, you are still stuck for the maintenance fees. Some time shares can be very difficult to sell. I have heard too many stories about people in financial trouble who could not sell their time share but were still stuck for the fees.

When I was a bankruptcy trustee I sold some time shares and abandoned some others. When I abandoned them, they went back to the debtors, who remained liable for the maintenance fees even though they filed bankruptcy.

If you buy one, buy one that is readily saleable on the resale market.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

[quote]GD-ER,

Quote:
How do you "rent" timeshares?

try vrbo.com...more time share rentals than you would want too know....
Old 04-05-2005, 09:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

RCI may rent also.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:10 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I have rented timeshare "points" in the past. Great experience. A good deal for me and the owner made a buck, too.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think some are a scam. If you want to go someplace why not just pay the rental fee. No obligation to return, no maintenance or taxes etc. I like to see different places each year, when I want to go, not when I can get in.

I think these outfits suck people in while on vacation and they regret it afterwards.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Won't argue with that.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Heck, I feel ripped off and I didn't even buy. While we were vacationing in Hawaii, someone asked us if we were willing to go to a 1.5-2 hour timeshare presentation, and they would pay for us to go on the Luau we wanted. 3 hours into it we only got out by me being rather rude, it was quite a scene.

Luau was good though.

Funny thing is, we've done it before for one in north San Diego (free home depot gift certificate, we were new home owners, you do the math).

In both those instances, and when my friend bought one in some God Forsaken place in the desert (Palm Springs?) the person said, "and you'll have no problem trading to different locations because everyone wants to go to (insert wherever they were) for vacation!
Old 05-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #15

Heed the advice regarding purchasing through the resale market. Savings are significant--even 50%+ if you are patient.
Be sure you understand the annual maintenance fee.* Our unit at Whistler BC has run us the equivalent of $50-60/day equivalent in addition to our original purchase cost.*
A new developer just bought out the original developer and issued a special assessment that will add an additional $60/day equivalent for this year (we supposely get new furnishings etc).
The economics are worth doing some careful math to see how they match up to your vacation spending budget. If you routinely spend 150-200/day for your digs on vacation, then maybe not too bad of deal. If you tend to look for housing not quite as "rich" then there are better choices.
Good hunting.
nwsteve
Old 05-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #16

I never in my life even casually considered a "time share". The whole
concept seemed funky to me and I would never touch it.

JG
Old 05-25-2005, 07:51 AM   #17

I always say no to time share. It's a great money deal for the sellers.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:38 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

We currently own five timeshare weeks (all resale) and intend to purchase more in lieu of a second home for retirement (retiring in 5 yrs). Looking to spend winters in more favorable locations than central Indiana.

The economics can be quite favorable, but the #1 rule is always buy resale, never buy from the developer. Case in point, we own two weeks in a FL oceanfront resort that is still in active developer sales with 2BR units priced at $23K per week. We purchased our first week there on resale for $4500 and our second for $2300. There are always people looking to sell, so bargains can be had if you're willing to wait. If you purchase where you want to go, you do not have the ongoing costs of exchange-club memberships and their associated trading fees - but you do have the ongoing maintenance fees.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #19

I thought it wa rather funny when I attened one of the sales pitches at a resort in Orlando. The salesman gave a best price at I think it was 17,000. After finally convincing him that no means no I had to sit through another person, who promptly lowered the price to 8,500. The answer was still no but we got our free Disney tickets.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I thought it wa rather funny when I attened one of the sales pitches at a resort in Orlando.* The salesman gave a best price at I think it was 17,000.* After finally convincing him that no means no I had to sit through another person, who promptly lowered the price to 8,500.* The answer was still no but we got our free Disney tickets.
Man, that's a tough way to get free tickets. Personally, they couldn't pay me
enough to go back to Disney but I know lots of folks (adults) who just love it.

JG