Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-18-2016, 07:32 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Slowly closing in on the 100K replace-timing-belt on my "new" car (2000). I'll have to check if it's interference or not (where would one find this info??) If not, I'll probably wait for it to break and then replace or scrap. It could come down to the "devil I know" when deciding whether to invest in the car. YMMV
if the timing belt breaks (or even skips a tooth) that's really bad juju

Swing hard, look up
Big_Hitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #42
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
if the timing belt breaks (or even skips a tooth) that's really bad juju
Could be as simple and cheap as a tow job (and then decide if worth it to replace) or it could be a bullet between the headlamps. My last broken timing belt (described above) was just a tow job and replacement. YMMV

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:26 AM   #43
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
.... but I've got it priced out at $575 (yourmechanic), and that includes water pump and some pulleys..what ever is in the typical kit, I guess.
Just a follow-up to contrast this experience with taking the car to a dealership (where the "writer" makes a commission on everything he gets you to agree to), versus having the guy come to the house to do the work.

The guy from yourmechanic dot com came to the house and did the job. Really nice guy, came with his wife, actually. Was thankful to being able to do the work in the garage (but he brings an eazy-up and tarps for shade if he doesn't get a garage). No billing surprises, no pushy add-ons, nothing like that. I went out there just once and he showed me the old water pump and old pulleys and the new shiny ones he'd installed. The car runs great (of course the car wouldn't run at all if the belt wasn't on right), and there's no apparent leaks. He left the garage clean (no sign of coolant), so it was a very professionally done job. I'm sure it varies by who gets assigned to your job, but they do have a feedback system on their site, and I think this guy had been yelped, so we were pretty sure it would be a good experience, and it was.

Now on to having more nice long drives in the car with less angst about needing a tow!

sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote