Join Early Retirement Today

tiny homes
Old 03-03-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

tiny homes

Wife and I have been discussing how much space we need for a home and she showed me this short clip from portlandia:

Small homes/condos are appealing to us but I think we'd need to stay above 500 sq ft or so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very funny!

A Web site I frequent to see this type of tiny houses is "tinyhouseblog-dot-com". I often wonder if I would be happy living in such small places instead of my conventional homes. I have a few hobbies and would have to give most up, except for gardening which is done outside the home.

And then, it occurred to me that I already live with my wife in a 200-sq.ft. place, the 25' long motorhome, a couple of months each year anyway.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Administrator

They are appealing, ,except for the cost per square foot. The ones I have seen seem very overpriced, to me.

On the other hand, there is something appealing about not having so much unused space all around me just sitting there collecting dust (looking around wistfully). I don't think I have gone into my guest bedroom in at least a month.

It would be so cool to have about 800 square feet (plus attached garage) on a paved over lot. The point of that would be to avoid mowing or landscape maintenance as well as any potential HOA hassles. It should also include a 4'x6' shower and plenty of closet space. Now we're talkin'...

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Wife and I have been discussing how much space we need for a home and she showed me this short clip from portlandia....Small homes/condos are appealing to us but I think we'd need to stay above 500 sq ft or so.
Cute video. One thing I have noticed on the faircompanies videos is some of the households do not seem to last in the tiny houses for very long. I like the idea but I wonder if once the novelty wears off they just feel too cramped.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Just saw this on my facebook feed. 3 foot wide house in Warsaw.

It?s Unbelievable They Fit a House Here. It's 3 Feet Wide and the Door's in the Floor... | 22 Words
Old 03-04-2015, 01:44 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't want to live in a tiny house where you need to climb it get into bed. I camp in 11.5ft long camper and the stove is tiny, sinks are tiny, shower is tiny and climbing to the bed over the truck cab is hard.

I could downsize to 4 rooms but I want a real kitchen and real bathroom so that and a bedroom and den I would be fine if I never had company. I eat at my desk anyhow and never go in the living room or dining room or guest room. Something the size of a two bedroom apartment would be as small as I would like, I could live in a studio apartment if I had to but I am too old to deal with climbing to go to bed, I am short so need a stool to get into a taller bed now.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:39 AM   #7

There's a TV show, Tiny House Nation. I think it's on TLC. I watched a couple of episodes. Yeah, it looks really cool, and they sure do know how to maximize space. But still, too small for me. I'm not claustrophobic, but the lack of "elbow room" would get to me. As daylatedollarshort wrote, once the novelty wears off - and I bet that novelty lasts just 30 days - those cramped conditions probably get too bothersome.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I've always found the idea interesting (and I've happily spent day after day in a tiny house bouncing all over the place - a boat), but DW is not amused. There have been all sorts of things about it.

Tiny House Hunters | Show | HGTV
Tumbleweed Tiny House Company
Impressive Tiny Houses - Small House Plans
Build A Tiny House - TinyHouseBuild.com
Tiny House Blog - Living Simply in Small Spaces

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:28 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've experienced this for short periods in our mini camper (7 feet wide by 10 feet long). It's only fun for a while.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

How about something with systems engineered like earthships for homes.

Their “survival model” seems to be a “tiny home” size.

For further info:
http://earthship.com/
https://www.thenaturalhome.com/passivesolar.html
Old 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It would be so cool to have about 800 square feet (plus attached garage) on a paved over lot. The point of that would be to avoid mowing or landscape maintenance as well as any potential HOA hassles. It should also include a 4'x6' shower and plenty of closet space. Now we're talkin'...
After owning our first home we discovered that we hate maintenance (a lot of it for an 80 year old home) and yard work. We also had 1200 sq ft + maybe 600 sq ft of bonus space (finished garage/attic) but most of the space was wasted and unused. 800 sq ft or so would probably be an ideal size for us although we could go somewhat smaller.

I like the atmosphere and open layout of this home (although we need a bigger kitchen area):

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/23/ga...uare-feet.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by unno2002 View Post
How about something with systems engineered like earthships for homes.
Seems like a very neat design. I joke to my wife we should live in a hobbit hole (they made them seem very appealing in LOTR).
Old 03-04-2015, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I've always found the idea interesting (and I've happily spent day after day in a tiny house bouncing all over the place - a boat), but DW is not amused. There have been all sorts of things about it.
Turns out my wife is the step-brother of the guy who founded tumbleweed.

Just browsed the site and ouch the prices are high. I wonder if most people build these themselves?
Old 03-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
Turns out my wife is the step-brother of the guy who founded tumbleweed.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The Portlandia clip is great - so efficient! I particularly like the small, high fold away cat box! While tiny homes have an attraction (Cor-ten steel shipping containers?) they just don't have enough draw for us. Unfailingly cheap here but the cost/foot and the breathing down each others neck ruins the fantasy.

That said, we know a couple who have 5-6 homes across the US (mostly bought for their kids to live in), two very fat pensions, and the ability to drop major coin on, say, a failed transmission or the lamb at a restaurant that doesn't have the prices in a menu. They also are plenty sharp when it comes to spending intelligently and thoughtfully. They have chosen to live in various locations in little trailers year round for the last three years. I'd go buggy.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I have been inside a number of these and they are appealing and then you think well wait a minute. I own a suit, a sport coat and a tuxedo and DW owns the female equivalent where do you put more than a spare pair of jeans. We like to cook, where are the pots/pan/appurtenances of cooking? And then there are the books.

But what does appeal to my wife and I would be a significantly smaller home, one bedroom, kitchen, library/living room and bath, with a significant out building for the shop.
But those whom the Truth would indict."

Robert Burns
poorcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #16

we would kill each other if we lived in a house that small

multiply it by 10 and that would work
Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've experienced this for short periods in our mini camper (7 feet wide by 10 feet long). It's only fun for a while.
Still using yours recently, my friend?

We spent more than 2 months crisscrossing the Canadian Maritimes in our 25' motorhome last year. I am planning for a trip this year in late spring. As we are usually on the move, we are never bored but if having to stay cooped up in a small place, we would go batty.

My daughter has a small townhome of 1000 sq.ft., and looking at that we thought that we would be OK living in it. But as of now, there's no plan to downsize.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Still using yours recently, my friend?
As DW is still w*rking, I've been limited to warm weather travel in the Rust Belt.

Quote:
We spent more than 2 months crisscrossing the Canadian Maritimes in our 25' motorhome last year. I am planning for a trip this year in late spring. As we are usually on the move, we are never bored but if having to stay cooped up in a small place, we would go batty.
Hope to do the same once DW retires next year.

Quote:
My daughter has a small townhome of 1000 sq.ft., and looking at that we thought that we would be OK living in it. But as of now, there's no plan to downsize.
We plan to downsize from about 3000 to about 1600 or so, sq. feet. No tiny homes for me.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
I don't want to live in a tiny house where you need to climb it get into bed. I camp in 11.5ft long camper and the stove is tiny, sinks are tiny, shower is tiny and climbing to the bed over the truck cab is hard.

I could downsize to 4 rooms but I want a real kitchen and real bathroom so that and a bedroom and den I would be fine if I never had company. I eat at my desk anyhow and never go in the living room or dining room or guest room. Something the size of a two bedroom apartment would be as small as I would like, I could live in a studio apartment if I had to but I am too old to deal with climbing to go to bed, I am short so need a stool to get into a taller bed now.
I hear ya. Especially if it's in the loft. I'd need a parachute when I needed to go to the bathroom.

I think one of those houses would be ok if it was situated by a lake. An occasional stay would be alright, but to live there all the time? I'd go bonkers.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:09 AM   #20

Wouldn't it be roomier and cheaper to live in a mobile home?

I'm not getting it.