Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

No, there isn't, but one guy working past age 70 complained to me that he got hit really hard on his RMDs since he was still making a good income. If you also start drawing SS at 70 because there's no advantage to waiting any longer, you've got two substantial additions to your income that will largely get eaten up by taxes.

Excellent points... which is a major reason I retired early, took early SS and am now slowly withdrawing from my taxable IRA [without paying taxes] before the dreaded RMD.

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 11:52 PM   #22
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post

I know a guy that is retiring at the end of December 2017 and he is 89 years old. A year ago when I retired he saw me and ask how I like retirement. I told me I love it and the only regret is I wish I would of retired sooner. He didn't say anything but some have nothing but work and that is fine.

For many, their work [career, profession] is a major part of their personal identity.

As for me, I never allowed my career to take over my identity and personal life... so retiring wasn't an emotional personal "loss."

Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

At the Home Depot I go to, a guy there is 84 years old. He has retired three times already, and used to own his own business.

Some people just need the structure. There are MANY farmers out there still going strong at ripe old ages too.

Here is one that was just on the news.
Quote:
The year was 1949.

Harry Truman was president, World War II had ended a few years before, the Minnesota Twins and Vikings didn't even exist yet, and Gus MacDonald was starting a new job in Stillwater.

Sixty-eight years later, MacDonald is still on the job at Stillwater Motors. Suffice to say he likes the job
Still on the Job After All These (68) Years | KSTP.com
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 AM   #24

Quote:
To each his/her own.
I was rather tired of my work, didn't need the pay any more, and have other things that I enjoy doing.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:41 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I could see getting a PT job at say,70. By then (assuming you retired at 62) you've done a lot of what you wanted to do and you're slowing down. Just getting out for the social aspect could be good. The money would just be an extra benefit.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:23 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I was rather tired of my work, didn't need the pay any more, and have other things that I enjoy doing.
Describes me as well. The thought of going back to work, even part time, just does not appeal to me. I love having control of my time. But if you really like working, or need to work, knock yourself out.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Agree. I walked away and never looked back. Worked out well and very pleased with the decision.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
These are lucky people to be still working in their 80s and 90s. I myself don't think it's a sure thing I will make it to that age, let alone working. So, I do not feel sorry for them. Old and working is better than dead.
1. Old and working
2. Dead
3. Old and not working

I'll take #3 please...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think a lot of people are working until they're older for several reasons ...

1. they are scared sh**less about the rising cost of healthcare
2. they are scared sh**less that SS will be raided by the politicians down the road
Old 12-18-2017, 12:22 PM   #30

from a guy who is FI but still working, here are my two cents: Still working for a few reasons. The job doesn't suck. It actually is pretty cool. Boss doesn't micro manage. Pay is outstanding. Tried to retire 3 years ago. Failed mentally. Wasn't ready to shut the brain down. DW was/is still working. Wanted a bigger cushion. In 2017 I/we took multiple trips. NH for DD's college volleyball regionals. NH again for a quick snowmobile trip when 12 inches dropped in 24 hours. Kansas City for DD's college volleyball national tournament. Long weekend in Delaware for DD's college graduation. 11 days in Australia to help DD set up her apartment (internship). Everyday in the summer on my beach (Chesapeake Bay). 9 days in San Diego over Labor day timeframe to see my DS and some old friends (still have a house there). PA for Thanksgiving with family and heading to VT for Christmas with family. All the while working a full time job (a very easy 40/week) and also the side hustles (officiating baseball and volleyball). I don't feel stressed or overworked. The only drawback is the vacations could be a bit longer. DW says at least 4-5 more years for her so going off of her timeline. I may pull the trigger earlier than her. To me FI is separate and way more important than RE. Additional side hustles may be taking up a greater chunk of time (real estate, small business). If that happens the plan will be to go 3/4 or 1/2 time at current gig. One other thing, DW and I are both fiercely independent and require time apart. We are working on that. Marriage has never been stronger. 25 years here in march. Lucky man and I know it. So glad that I did not have a horrible megacorp experience like many of you had. Cheers.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

My dad retired at 57. He is a civil engineer and managed big construction projects, and had been looking forward to retirement.

Within a year, he was back at work. He found a contract overseas in a very low tax jurisdiction, with a warm climate and has been working ever since. He is now 78, and every time we bring up his retirement he says, don't worry they will kick me out soon. I think he is afraid of going back to the year when he felt he "had nothing to do". He is genuinely happy doing what he is doing. He says he was lucky to be able to change the factors that made him unhappy.

I am 42, and every time I come to this forum, I think of him. I think retirement is a state of mind, and some people just find the key to be happy.
dg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

One big reason I did not RE after FI was Megacorp moving me to working full time from home. Saving 1.5-3 hours every day along with the resultant reduction in stress made a big difference. Also, with me able to move much of my job into "hobby" mode, and about 6.5 weeks of vacation, the pay is quite "ridiculous". So I'm (as I have discussed in another thread) "gliding" to retirement, just waiting for the next Megacorp retirement program/layoff to occur that I am eligible for.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:12 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The people described in the article all belong to that latter group: a 96-year-old judge, an 82-year-old high-school teacher who knows 6 languages, an 88-year-old Nobel-winning neuroscientist, a 71-year-old pediatrician who has her own clinic.

The author does not describe any laborer who says he likes to dig trenches at 80 and just does not want to quit. Nor has she found a megacorp worker who says he likes to come in to work after reaching FI, just to enjoy all the BS that management dishes out.
This is a very good point. People doing things that do not require heavily physical activity and are essentially exercising their minds in a primary realm of interest will have less of a desire to retire, because they find it fun and, in their mind, do not see it was "work".

It is like the old adage "if you find a job you truly love, you will never work another day in your life".
Old 12-18-2017, 07:32 PM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
One big reason I did not RE after FI was Megacorp moving me to working full time from home. Saving 1.5-3 hours every day along with the resultant reduction in stress made a big difference. Also, with me able to move much of my job into "hobby" mode, and about 6.5 weeks of vacation, the pay is quite "ridiculous". So I'm (as I have discussed in another thread) "gliding" to retirement, just waiting for the next Megacorp retirement program/layoff to occur that I am eligible for.
OK so by all accounts I've been enjoying a pretty low key (independent) work life for many years. I've been self employed, self managed, and self driven for over 20 years. Given the easiness of the work, I should keep going forever. Heck the money is great, why not just keep going? The driving forces for me to pull the plug are:

1) Vacations. Though I can take as much or as little time as I want in theory, I haven't had an "unplugged vacation" since my Honeymoon 25 years ago. There are calls to take and e-mails to respond to every day.

2) Fear. Fear of getting fired at any point for any reason, fear of being accused of being unresponsive, and fear of being accused of not working. Having to be on guard constantly with regard to that fear consumes vast amounts of mental energy and is detrimental to my health. Though I'm FI, the psychological blow of being rejected by others is tough to handle.

3) As an earlier poster mentioned. There is a part of me that wants to make room for the next generation. Why be a greedy pig, while you starve your neighbors kid?
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Agree. I walked away and never looked back. Worked out well and very pleased with the decision.
+100
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:27 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck_Club View Post
3) As an earlier poster mentioned. There is a part of me that wants to make room for the next generation. Why be a greedy pig, while you starve your neighbors kid?
The funny thing is, I have told my management to feel free to move me aside to save someone else's job or to allow them to hire new folks, and so far they do not want to do that... but they have me doing more mentoring of the new folks, which is something I enjoy. As my manager commented, "it goes beyond what we pay you, it goes to the way you are influencing the next generation to get to your level and skills, and we appreciate that". At least, they do so for now.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
This is a very good point. People doing things that do not require heavily physical activity and are essentially exercising their minds in a primary realm of interest will have less of a desire to retire, because they find it fun and, in their mind, do not see it was "work".

It is like the old adage "if you find a job you truly love, you will never work another day in your life".
Frankly, I admire and even envy those who found w*rk intellectually stimulation. Over my career in tech, perhaps I found 20% of the time stimulating and challenging. The problem was that the industry had been offshoring for decades. The fun stuff, tech development, finally left and so did most of the fun. It was replaced by extra piles of steaming BS. Perhaps I placed my bets on the wrong industry.

On the other hand, accepting my career's had a finite shelf life and a wide range of passions outside of w*rk prepared and drove me to FIRE. I saw enough 50 somethings get canned after decades of experience. I knew that this would probably be my fate, and I simply prepared for the inevitable financially.

Now, after being FIRE'd for 3 years, I can say that I've found the j*b I truly love, and I never plan to w*rk another day in my life! This is what I had been dreaming about as a kid, doing whatever I want!
Old 12-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I retired 6 years ago and 7 months later was offered a chance to teach an online college class. I still do it and don't plan on quitting. It is fun, I do it from home and I can travel anywhere with internet. Plus the pay is great.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Frankly, I admire and even envy those who found w*rk intellectually stimulation. Over my career in tech, perhaps I found 20% of the time stimulating and challenging. The problem was that the industry had been offshoring for decades. The fun stuff, tech development, finally left and so did most of the fun. It was replaced by extra piles of steaming BS. Perhaps I placed my bets on the wrong industry.
When I read about people "loving it," it usually is in a job that has close contact with those in their community, rural or urban. This could be customers, or other co-workers.

When I started tech, at Megacorp, we had a community of our own development nerds, back when projects were at one location. Over the years, projects have spread over the world. The pressures of offshoring are many, but the one that really mentally hurts is the loss of close, local community.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 01:16 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
1. Old and working
2. Dead
3. Old and not working

I'll take #3 please...
Wouldn't we all?

Sadly, man proposes, but god disposes.

Here's a sadder outcome:

4. Die young while working.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote