Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-28-2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These days (waiting to RE), I am trying to shed things that will cause stress to my life. If I am offered a similar opportunity (a good challenging job away from my comfort surrounding), I'd stay put. The only exception would be, if the new job's location is one of my potential retirement place, I'd jump. But that's me. Good luck with your decision.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #22

You had already made up your mind for ER. Plus moving away 400 miles for the new job is kind of big deal. Unless they are throwing stupid money at you, you have to balance your original goals of ER, time to enjoy health and friends, vs staying working.

Money is certainly needed, but if you have enough for your goals right now, is more really needed? Do you need the mental and social interaction of the new job opportunity?

In my perspective, more time and better health beats more money. I would stick with your original plan of ER.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
To ER or not to ER.....
Old 02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #23

To ER or not to ER.....

Another thought- a space telescope is a great project, but is this a situation where you may be tempted to stay on several years until the project is done? I'm working on the best projects I've ever worked on right now, but they'll last for 5 years or more. I really enjoy the work, but I'm not sticking around until it's done
Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
You had already made up your mind for ER. Plus moving away 400 miles for the new job is kind of big deal. Unless they are throwing stupid money at you, you have to balance your original goals of ER, time to enjoy health and friends, vs staying working.

Money is certainly needed, but if you have enough for your goals right now, is more really needed? Do you need the mental and social interaction of the new job opportunity?

In my perspective, more time and better health beats more money. I would stick with your original plan of ER.
the money would be good....probably around $150k/year.....so the "one more year" thing kicks in.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM   #25

Wharton School of Business just came out with an interesting article on decision-making that might help in a case like this:

How the Option to Do Nothing Can Help You Get Things Done -- K@W
Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #26

Since the work is work you would jump at if it was where you are located now, I personally think that I would jump at it even with the relocation which isn't all that far away. But, I could sure see the other decision as well....
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just faced with a similar option. After being retired for about a year, I got an offer to do something cool. The downside was that I had to move across the country to do it. I decided to take the chance. I figured that if I didn't like it, I could go right back to my comfortable early retirement. But after a year out of the workforce, in a highly specialized area, this might be my last chance to kick the tires. Given the low downside to it not working out, I would take the job and see how it goes.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #28

Just a quick update.

I'm one day into ER...I walked out of my office for the last time yesterday afternoon.

In the end I didn't pursue the job offer in Maryland as relocating and leaving my friends would have been a big deal. I worked there once before and while I loved the work and my colleagues I never felt entirely at home.....I figured I'd be going down there to work rather than live and I just couldn't justify that. I didn't want to spend 5 or 6 years anticipating moving back to Boston and the thought of living in a condo, not really knowing anyone and having to worry about my house in Boston was a bit much. The only place I was considering living was the same town that my ex lives in....mostly because it's a great town.......but when I realized I wasn't looking for rentals anywhere else that factored into my decision not to move as there was the potential of opening an emotional can of worms for myself.

Anyway it's funny how things work out, but right as I was leaving work last night I got an email from someone at a local university offering me part time work doing similar things as I would have done in Maryland.

Current AA: 65% Equity Funds / 20% Bonds / 7% Stable Value /3% Cash / 5% TIAA Traditional
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Just a quick update.

I'm one day into ER...I walked out of my office for the last time yesterday afternoon.

In the end I didn't pursue the job offer in Maryland as relocating and leaving my friends would have been a big deal. I worked there once before and while I loved the work and my colleagues I never felt entirely at home.....I figured I'd be going down there to work rather than live and I just couldn't justify that. I didn't want to spend 5 or 6 years anticipating moving back to Boston and the thought of living in a condo, not really knowing anyone and having to worry about my house in Boston was a bit much.

Anyway it's funny how things work out, but right as I was leaving work last night I got an email from someone at a local university offering me part time work doing similar things as I would have done in Maryland.
Congratulations on your ER!
Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Congratulations on your ER!
Looks like it will be semi-ER....maybe 20 hours of work a week with a 2 mile commute

Old 03-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds, to me, like you made the right decision for the right reasons.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #32

That part-time work at the university sounds like a great chance to make the transistion to full time retirement. Seems like it worked out good for you in the end. Stay at your current location, have a bit of extra money, doing something that you enjoy, and only part-time so you can do more ER type activities.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations nun! Sounds like the university gig is the best of both worlds.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
That part-time work at the university sounds like a great chance to make the transistion to full time retirement. Seems like it worked out good for you in the end. Stay at your current location, have a bit of extra money, doing something that you enjoy, and only part-time so you can do more ER type activities.
+1 .. excellent choice.