Today I experienced...something

I had a wierd fugue state crossing a crowded pedestrian/traffic bridge, as I did at least 2x/day. I had a sensation of feeling every person and car on the planet moving simultaneously on their various trajectories. This was a couple of years prior to the film Koyaanisqatsi which I did not see except for bits of the trailer.

This was a gut feeling more than a visual or abstract sensation.. it was more as though I was an ant and "knew" what all the other ants were doing, or that I was a molecule in a bloodstream. I wouldn't say it was pleasant.. nor was it particularly unpleasant.

More recently, at a local dance class, I had this overwhelming feeling of love for all the dopey, clomp-y, dancers just like us. I even had to say something to someone about it, so I approached the teacher: "don't all these people just give you a 'tender' feeling? Like they are little kids?" The Mr.-Professional-Dance-Judge-Teacher thought I was crazy. He just saw hopeless clompers. But I loved every expression at that moment: the young and arrogant, the older and serious, the people of all ages with their tongues sticking out of their mouths sideways with effort...

I had a different but also disconcerting moment a few months back: I looked into the mirror and saw not me, but my mother (who has been dead for several years). I really do look almost exactly like her at age 60 or so.

I had a different but also disconcerting moment a few months back: I looked into the mirror and saw not me, but my mother (who has been dead for several years). I really do look almost exactly like her at age 60 or so.

I caught my reflection in the window of a subway car about 20 years ago and whirled around to see where my Mother was seated. When I realized it was me, it really freaked me out.

This reminds me of the experiences Carlos Casteneda went through with Don Juan. Don't know if you read any of the books, but they attracted lots of interest many years ago.

That reminds me, need to add Peyote to the shopping list... running low.

He'll fly his astral plane
Take you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day...

Now he really IS dead. But is he outside, looking in?

I experience moments of bliss (is this the same thing as people described above?) all the time, ever since I worked only part-time. Oldies music from the 40s and 50s really help. One such is Petite Fleur, with such beautiful French lyrics. I wonder if there is an English translation.

There are also times when I feel the love for the people around me, like ladelfina has experienced. Could this be the Zen, or the Buddhism we all read about?

And Khan, I just learned from this thread and another that you are a woman. Shocked me a little as you did fool me, as well as other long-time members. No matter though, as I would make fun of your bumper crop of cucumbers just the same.

By the way, when I told my wife about this forum, she surfed a bit, and said she saw something about this interesting guy Khan. Perhaps most of the prejudices or perceptions about a person come from the name.

I have a similar feeling a couple of times a month as I'm falling asleep. I'm not aware, but I'm not asleep, either -- I just exist, weightless.

Then I realize that I'm existing, and I come to with a start. Funky, but fun.

Oh yes, the I am that I am. Read "The Power of Now" or "A New Earth" by Tolle.

This reminds me of the experiences Carlos Casteneda went through with Don Juan.

related but not quite the same experience. castaneda's writings deal with dreaming (what he calls sorcery) accomplished by "fixing attention," it does not in itself, at least on the surface, deal with oneness. one creates worlds, while the other deconstructs them. even the approaches of eastern & native american mysticism converge (or parallel each other) from very different directions.

in tibetan dream yoga, for instance, one of the "goals" is to experience what in the west is referred to as an out of body experience (obe) and this is done by practicing lucid dreaming and using dreaming to understand what is in essence referred to as the illusionary nature of reality.

conversely, in toltec dreaming the dream is the reality and an obe is used to strengthen the sorcerer's ability to fix dreams (fix as in intent, not as in repair). to be able to control the motion & direction of your so-called astral body during an obe is, in toltec dreaming, the ability to handle life's energy directly: not a goal, just a tool. for them, dreaming is the goal.

castaneda's work, really like all, should be read as metaphor and his, especially, should be understood in light of the paranoia the author suffered. i didn't read his work until late in life, i think it was in the art of dreaming where i found some nicely described techniques which i've utilized in some of my dream work to--well, i'll just say--very fun affect.

I had a wierd fugue state crossing a crowded pedestrian/traffic bridge, as I did at least 2x/day. I had a sensation of feeling every person and car on the planet moving simultaneously on their various trajectories

i wanted to make lox, eggs & onion (with capers) tonight and all i was missing was a good bread. but i didn't feel like going out to the store so i decided to take a nap instead. just as i get comfortable, there's knocking at the door. a friend of mine stopped by to drop off a lovely loaf of fresh made multi-grain bread from a local shoppe.

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cbs2chicago.com - Twin Girls Reunited After Both Abandoned; Adopted

"...it is imperative to cast off certain prejudices of the western mind...

what we term natural laws are merely statistical truths and thus must necessarily allow for exceptions...

the western mind carefully sifts, weighs, selects, classifies, isolates... (but) ...the moment encompasses everything down to the minutest nonsensical detail, because all of the ingredients make up the observed moment...

an indicator of the essential situation prevailing in the moment of its origin...

synchronicity…a point of view diametrically opposed to that of causality...takes the coincidence of events in space and time as meaning something more than mere chance, namely, a peculiar interdependence of objective events among themselves as well as with the subjective states of the observer"

(but of course, here’s the east/west rub)

“(while) causal connection is statistically necessary and can therefore be subjected to experiment…as situations are unique and cannot be repeated, experimenting with synchronicity seems to be impossible under ordinary conditions.”~~cg jung, 1949 foreward to wilhelm’s & baynes’s translation of the i ching.

I have a similar feeling a couple of times a month as I'm falling asleep. I'm not aware, but I'm not asleep, either -- I just exist, weightless.

Then I realize that I'm existing, and I come to with a start. Funky, but fun.

Hypnagogia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I experience moments of bliss (is this the same thing as people described above?) all the time, ever since I worked only part-time. Oldies music from the 40s and 50s really help. One such is Petite Fleur, with such beautiful French lyrics. I wonder if there is an English translation.

There are also times when I feel the love for the people around me, like ladelfina has experienced. Could this be the Zen, or the Buddhism we all read about?

And Khan, I just learned from this thread and another that you are a woman. Shocked me a little as you did fool me, as well as other long-time members. No matter though, as I would make fun of your bumper crop of cucumbers just the same.

By the way, when I told my wife about this forum, she surfed a bit, and said she saw something about this interesting guy Khan. Perhaps most of the prejudices or perceptions about a person come from the name.

But does knowledge of my gender (or age or whatever) change how you interpret what I write?

But does knowledge of my gender (or age or whatever) change how you interpret what I write?

Not sure. Will have to review some of your posts in light of this info! I think we all assumed you were a man because of your forum name. The crisp, concise nature of your writing gave no clues. Which illustrates the stereotyping we all do every day.

Which illustrates the stereotyping we all do every day.

I am guilty of this sterotyping . In fact Meadbh , I thought you were a guy . Your avatar used to be a guy sitting on the beach . So I guess we are all gender confused on the internet.

No. But I admit I would be more impressed that you changed your engine oil. I had to run off to double check your old post to be sure. I know of no woman doing that. Nor one who sampled squirrels!

About age, I still think you are around 60, yes? If you were a 30 y.o. youngster, then perhaps I would wonder how you have hurt your knees. That's all.

Hmmm. Now I wonder if some of those fellow "grease monkeys" who claimed to have rebuilt engines are really women. Leonidas, FinanceDave, and others, are you there?

P.S. About Petite Fleur, I gathered that it was a piece by Sidney Bechet, an American jazz artist. The French loved it so much, and wrote lyrics for it. There are at least two French versions (I understand them). There is no English lyrics that I am aware of.

I'm not believing that Khan is a woman. Just because he/she looks like his/her mom doesn't mean that.

I'm thinking back to a post where Khan said something like 'I'm just a white guy' or something and I thought... hmmm, I always pictured him as Asian (I think because of the Khan character on King of the Hill)

Will the real Khan please stand up?

EDIT: Ok, I went to read the other posts that NW was referring to in the Ripped Tendon thread. Sorry, I guess I was just thinking you were a guy and that other quote must have been "I just white" or something. Ok, so I'm my mind you have gone from an Asian guy to a white lady... Interesting!

No. But I admit I would be more impressed that you changed your engine oil. I had to run off to double check your old post to be sure. I know of no woman doing that. Nor one who sampled squirrels!

My SIL is a Volvo certified mechanic... I think she changes her own oil but she cheats by throwing it on the lift at work.

This is an interesting question. Perhaps you feel that it should not. I feel the opposite- not about you in particular but about any person. What could be more salient about a person than his or her sex, age, place of residence, etc.? The rest is largely smoke.

Ha

I was putting clothes on the line about 11AM on a cool (for August) dry morning and I experienced something.
Zen?
Tao?
Fugue state?
Oneness with the Universe?
A temporary losing of the boundaries between self and not-self?

This has happened before: On the point of a St Croix beach at 2AM on a moonless night standing in the Trade Winds watching the surf.

Minor and insignificant in the universe at large, but a bit interesting and disconcerting.

Oh yeah, I get this feeling when I drink too much moon shine. :)

An altered state and not chemically induced -- wish I could experience that. No epiphany?

It has always been a surreal experience for me. Everything around me was so vivid and alive while I simply did not exist. Yet, I was able to see it all and feel it.

Oh yeah, I get this feeling when I drink too much moon shine. :)

All human societies have sought mind-altering experiences through various combinations of drugs, fasting, meditation, physical activity...

This popped into mind:

I've found the best way to shop for food is to work up a really big appetite. Fast for several days, smoke a couple of joints, take $700... and go to the supermarket! It's great. You buy everything! "Wow, canned bread! Just what I need!"
- George Carlin

They told me that the sun turned green, I said I didn't know
And then they told me that the moon turned blue, I said it didn't show
And then they told me that I looked like a fool, I even said I'd let that go
But when they told that that our love was dead, I had to turn and go.

Hot summer's day, carry me along
To the end, that's where I begin...

It's A Beautiful Day, Hot Summer's Day

Back
Top Bottom