Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 105
missionfinder-

I don't know what smudge is. I'd like to unless there is some reason you can't say...
__________________

__________________
noworkethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.
tangomonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 756
What may be interesting to you, Khan, and others who have experienced this (I haven't very often---and when I have, it lasted all too briefly, but was still pretty wonderful) is a book I've just started to read:

Standing in the Light by Sharman Apt Russell

Amazon.com: Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist: Sharman Apt Russell: Books

It's about pantheism---a religion/way of thinking and being/philosophy that I had never heard of (amazing what you can learn when FIREd!). The book blurb notes:

Everything is connected, and the web is holy.” So wrote Marcus Aurelius, the starting point of Sharman Apt Russell’s wise and haunting new memoir about her life as a pantheist. Perhaps no other religious philosophy is as simple and inclusive as pantheism. What is, right now, is divine; there is no god apart from the universe itself. In Standing in the Light, Russell explores the history of this tradition from the Stoic philosophers to the Transcendentalists while reflecting on her own life during a year spent in the mountains and desert of southwestern New Mexico. A season of banding birds, the migration of sandhill cranes, the panicked charge of a young javelina-nature provides the inspiration for meditations on subjects ranging from Buddhist thought to the death of her father, from the Quaker tradition to the sadness of children leaving home, from global warming to the ineffable loneliness of human experience. With a humane heart, an inquisitive mind, and luminescent prose, Sharman Apt Russell invites skeptics, scientists, and seekers everywhere to join her in her exploration of the soul of pantheism.
__________________

__________________
“It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society”.------Krishnamurti
tangomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #63
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
missionfinder-

I don't know what smudge is. I'd like to unless there is some reason you can't say...
I think it's burning herbs (sage for one) for smoke/smell and purification.
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:51 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
This thread showcases a whole new aspect of the ER crowd. One that I would not have expected to find.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:58 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This thread showcases a whole new aspect of the ER crowd. One that I would not have expected to find.

Ha
Spiritual or introspective or transgendered?
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Spiritual or introspective or transgendered?
LOL!

Spiritual! I am no stranger to transgendered- a guy I know recently had a hysterectomy.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:32 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder View Post
I've gotten the feeling often. Whether its in a crowd watching a child play, looking at the stars, alone in nature... its always the same yet different each time. I often get the feeling when I smudge (if you know what that is you'll understand).
I do understand. I have felt that way in a sweat lodge.
__________________
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
What may be interesting to you, Khan, and others who have experienced this (I haven't very often---and when I have, it lasted all too briefly, but was still pretty wonderful) is a book I've just started to read:

Standing in the Light by Sharman Apt Russell

Amazon.com: Standing in the Light: My Life as a Pantheist: Sharman Apt Russell: Books

It's about pantheism---a religion/way of thinking and being/philosophy that I had never heard of (amazing what you can learn when FIREd!). The book blurb notes:

Everything is connected, and the web is holy.” So wrote Marcus Aurelius, the starting point of Sharman Apt Russell’s wise and haunting new memoir about her life as a pantheist. Perhaps no other religious philosophy is as simple and inclusive as pantheism. What is, right now, is divine; there is no god apart from the universe itself. In Standing in the Light, Russell explores the history of this tradition from the Stoic philosophers to the Transcendentalists while reflecting on her own life during a year spent in the mountains and desert of southwestern New Mexico. A season of banding birds, the migration of sandhill cranes, the panicked charge of a young javelina-nature provides the inspiration for meditations on subjects ranging from Buddhist thought to the death of her father, from the Quaker tradition to the sadness of children leaving home, from global warming to the ineffable loneliness of human experience. With a humane heart, an inquisitive mind, and luminescent prose, Sharman Apt Russell invites skeptics, scientists, and seekers everywhere to join her in her exploration of the soul of pantheism.

What is, right now, is divine

I have seen this referred to as : "That which is."
__________________

__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are You IPO Experienced Danny FIRE and Money 11 11-15-2006 05:19 PM
Wisdom from the experienced brewer12345 Young Dreamers 40 04-10-2006 12:51 PM
Question for experienced landlords regarding lease Dude FIRE and Money 24 03-26-2006 03:42 PM
Need advise from the more experienced... acmcclellan Hi, I am... 9 05-11-2004 02:04 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:14 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.