Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It is gratifying to see that others have some idea of what I am trying to describe.
In my case it's "flow". I'll get into something and I won't lose track of minutes, I'll lose track of hours.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

It's like riding a bike. Now that you know it's possible, with a little effort you can learn to will it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps it was similar to what Abraham experienced in the desert. If you heard a voice speaking to you... This could be the start of something big.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #24

The moment for me was flying an airplane at about 5,000 feet over Chesapeake Bay. Over land in a light airplane there are generally thermals that bounce it around a little bit, requiring constant minor corrections, much like driving a car.

Over water, the air is often perfectly smooth, no ripples, no thermals. The airplane was perfectly trimmed, and it felt like sitting in a living room chair. I didn't touch the controls for about 15 minutes. No autopilot either.

And there I was, knowing that the nearest person was at least a mile below, enjoying the day and the view, and it just ..... was.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The moment for me was flying an airplane at about 5,000 feet over Chesapeake Bay. Over land in a light airplane there are generally thermals that bounce it around a little bit, requiring constant minor corrections, much like driving a car.

Over water, the air is often perfectly smooth, no ripples, no thermals. The airplane was perfectly trimmed, and it felt like sitting in a living room chair. I didn't touch the controls for about 15 minutes. No autopilot either.

And there I was, knowing that the nearest person was at least a mile below, enjoying the day and the view, and it just ..... was.

Meanwhile, below on a cruise-liner, several hundred innocent souls seeing a light-aircraft plummeting down into thier summer vacation bliss, seemingly with nobody in control (or the pilot under the influence of mild-altering drugs) were frantically running for cover, sheltering thier children or down on thier knees praying for deliverance. But hey, just as long as you were in the zone!
mbooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I felt a moment also, Orizaba and Sotano del las Golondrinas; what a trip!!
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had a wierd fugue state crossing a crowded pedestrian/traffic bridge, as I did at least 2x/day. I had a sensation of feeling every person and car on the planet moving simultaneously on their various trajectories. This was a couple of years prior to the film Koyaanisqatsi which I did not see except for bits of the trailer.

This was a gut feeling more than a visual or abstract sensation.. it was more as though I was an ant and "knew" what all the other ants were doing, or that I was a molecule in a bloodstream. I wouldn't say it was pleasant.. nor was it particularly unpleasant.

More recently, at a local dance class, I had this overwhelming feeling of love for all the dopey, clomp-y, dancers just like us. I even had to say something to someone about it, so I approached the teacher: "don't all these people just give you a 'tender' feeling? Like they are little kids?" The Mr.-Professional-Dance-Judge-Teacher thought I was crazy. He just saw hopeless clompers. But I loved every expression at that moment: the young and arrogant, the older and serious, the people of all ages with their tongues sticking out of their mouths sideways with effort...
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #28
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had a different but also disconcerting moment a few months back: I looked into the mirror and saw not me, but my mother (who has been dead for several years). I really do look almost exactly like her at age 60 or so.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I swear, I just get the warm fuzzies reading this thread.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:50 AM   #30

Quote:
I had a different but also disconcerting moment a few months back: I looked into the mirror and saw not me, but my mother (who has been dead for several years). I really do look almost exactly like her at age 60 or so.
I caught my reflection in the window of a subway car about 20 years ago and whirled around to see where my Mother was seated. When I realized it was me, it really freaked me out.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
This reminds me of the experiences Carlos Casteneda went through with Don Juan. Don't know if you read any of the books, but they attracted lots of interest many years ago.

That reminds me, need to add Peyote to the shopping list... running low.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
He'll fly his astral plane
Take you trips around the bay
Brings you back the same day...
Now he really IS dead. But is he outside, looking in?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I experience moments of bliss (is this the same thing as people described above?) all the time, ever since I worked only part-time. Oldies music from the 40s and 50s really help. One such is Petite Fleur, with such beautiful French lyrics. I wonder if there is an English translation.

There are also times when I feel the love for the people around me, like ladelfina has experienced. Could this be the Zen, or the Buddhism we all read about?

And Khan, I just learned from this thread and another that you are a woman. Shocked me a little as you did fool me, as well as other long-time members. No matter though, as I would make fun of your bumper crop of cucumbers just the same.

By the way, when I told my wife about this forum, she surfed a bit, and said she saw something about this interesting guy Khan. Perhaps most of the prejudices or perceptions about a person come from the name.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:03 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a similar feeling a couple of times a month as I'm falling asleep. I'm not aware, but I'm not asleep, either -- I just exist, weightless.

Then I realize that I'm existing, and I come to with a start. Funky, but fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #35

Oh yes, the I am that I am. Read "The Power of Now" or "A New Earth" by Tolle.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
This reminds me of the experiences Carlos Casteneda went through with Don Juan.
related but not quite the same experience. castaneda's writings deal with dreaming (what he calls sorcery) accomplished by "fixing attention," it does not in itself, at least on the surface, deal with oneness. one creates worlds, while the other deconstructs them. even the approaches of eastern & native american mysticism converge (or parallel each other) from very different directions.

in tibetan dream yoga, for instance, one of the "goals" is to experience what in the west is referred to as an out of body experience (obe) and this is done by practicing lucid dreaming and using dreaming to understand what is in essence referred to as the illusionary nature of reality.

conversely, in toltec dreaming the dream is the reality and an obe is used to strengthen the sorcerer's ability to fix dreams (fix as in intent, not as in repair). to be able to control the motion & direction of your so-called astral body during an obe is, in toltec dreaming, the ability to handle life's energy directly: not a goal, just a tool. for them, dreaming is the goal.

castaneda's work, really like all, should be read as metaphor and his, especially, should be understood in light of the paranoia the author suffered. i didn't read his work until late in life, i think it was in the art of dreaming where i found some nicely described techniques which i've utilized in some of my dream work to--well, i'll just say--very fun affect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I had a wierd fugue state crossing a crowded pedestrian/traffic bridge, as I did at least 2x/day. I had a sensation of feeling every person and car on the planet moving simultaneously on their various trajectories
i wanted to make lox, eggs & onion (with capers) tonight and all i was missing was a good bread. but i didn't feel like going out to the store so i decided to take a nap instead. just as i get comfortable, there's knocking at the door. a friend of mine stopped by to drop off a lovely loaf of fresh made multi-grain bread from a local shoppe.

Synchronicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cbs2chicago.com - Twin Girls Reunited After Both Abandoned; Adopted

"...it is imperative to cast off certain prejudices of the western mind...

what we term natural laws are merely statistical truths and thus must necessarily allow for exceptions...

the western mind carefully sifts, weighs, selects, classifies, isolates... (but) ...the moment encompasses everything down to the minutest nonsensical detail, because all of the ingredients make up the observed moment...

an indicator of the essential situation prevailing in the moment of its origin...

synchronicity…a point of view diametrically opposed to that of causality...takes the coincidence of events in space and time as meaning something more than mere chance, namely, a peculiar interdependence of objective events among themselves as well as with the subjective states of the observer"

(but of course, here’s the east/west rub)

“(while) causal connection is statistically necessary and can therefore be subjected to experiment…as situations are unique and cannot be repeated, experimenting with synchronicity seems to be impossible under ordinary conditions.”~~cg jung, 1949 foreward to wilhelm’s & baynes’s translation of the i ching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
I have a similar feeling a couple of times a month as I'm falling asleep. I'm not aware, but I'm not asleep, either -- I just exist, weightless.

Then I realize that I'm existing, and I come to with a start. Funky, but fun.
Hypnagogia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #37
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I experience moments of bliss (is this the same thing as people described above?) all the time, ever since I worked only part-time. Oldies music from the 40s and 50s really help. One such is Petite Fleur, with such beautiful French lyrics. I wonder if there is an English translation.

There are also times when I feel the love for the people around me, like ladelfina has experienced. Could this be the Zen, or the Buddhism we all read about?

And Khan, I just learned from this thread and another that you are a woman. Shocked me a little as you did fool me, as well as other long-time members. No matter though, as I would make fun of your bumper crop of cucumbers just the same.

By the way, when I told my wife about this forum, she surfed a bit, and said she saw something about this interesting guy Khan. Perhaps most of the prejudices or perceptions about a person come from the name.
But does knowledge of my gender (or age or whatever) change how you interpret what I write?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But does knowledge of my gender (or age or whatever) change how you interpret what I write?
Not sure. Will have to review some of your posts in light of this info! I think we all assumed you were a man because of your forum name. The crisp, concise nature of your writing gave no clues. Which illustrates the stereotyping we all do every day.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:05 PM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Which illustrates the stereotyping we all do every day.

I am guilty of this sterotyping . In fact Meadbh , I thought you were a guy . Your avatar used to be a guy sitting on the beach . So I guess we are all gender confused on the internet.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No. But I admit I would be more impressed that you changed your engine oil. I had to run off to double check your old post to be sure. I know of no woman doing that. Nor one who sampled squirrels!

About age, I still think you are around 60, yes? If you were a 30 y.o. youngster, then perhaps I would wonder how you have hurt your knees. That's all.

Hmmm. Now I wonder if some of those fellow "grease monkeys" who claimed to have rebuilt engines are really women. Leonidas, FinanceDave, and others, are you there?

P.S. About Petite Fleur, I gathered that it was a piece by Sidney Bechet, an American jazz artist. The French loved it so much, and wrote lyrics for it. There are at least two French versions (I understand them). There is no English lyrics that I am aware of.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote