Join Early Retirement Today

Today is My 2nd Anniversary of being FIREd
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Today is My 2nd Anniversary of being FIREd

It has been a great 2 years (FIREd at age 52 from being a school principal). My wife continues to w@#k while I play househusband. I do all of the shopping, cooking, laundry, housework while she continues her teaching career.
I get up with her every morning, make her lunch, and send her off to w@#k. My mornings are usually house stuff, go to the gym, keep up on financial news. Some days, go to the golf course, gun range. or read. I also volunteer, assisting some elderly neighbors; drive them places, yard work, minor repairs. Next week I begin a law enforcement training to become a part of my local sheriff volunteer posse.
Travel- many trips solo or with the wife. Puerto Vallarta 6x, Cabo, Playa Del Carmen, Wisconsin
Money- between my wife's salary and my pension, we are still stashing money away. Everything looks good there with the giant variable of health insurance down the road.
Health- No stress, better sleep, more exercise. What could be better?
Wife wants to work a couple of more years- who am I to stop her!? (She already has 30 years in)

FIRE is great

erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkevin View Post
It has been a great 2 years (FIREd at age 52 from being a school principal). My wife continues to w@#k while I play househusband. I do all of the shopping, cooking, laundry, housework while she continues her teaching career.
I get up with her every morning, make her lunch, and send her off to w@#k. My mornings are usually house stuff, go to the gym, keep up on financial news. Some days, go to the golf course, gun range. or read. I also volunteer, assisting some elderly neighbors; drive them places, yard work, minor repairs. Next week I begin a law enforcement training to become a part of my local sheriff volunteer posse.
Travel- many trips solo or with the wife. Puerto Vallarta 6x, Cabo, Playa Del Carmen, Wisconsin
Money- between my wife's salary and my pension, we are still stashing money away. Everything looks good there with the giant variable of health insurance down the road.
Wife wants to work a couple of more years- who am I to stop her!? (She already has 30 years in)

FIRE is great
Sounds great. Will be even better with the wife in a few years.
2 more months for 1 year FIRE for me.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:38 PM   #3

Quote:

FIRE is great

Congratulations! We just passed the 18 month mark. Love it!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:11 PM   #4

Congrats to OP! 21 days to 1 year of FIRE for me (but who's counting).
If I were in your school, you would have known me very well, as would the counselor and juvy probation officer. I got better along the way, but DW might argue otherwise....
Old 06-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Just passed the 6 month mark! Loving it, but still have these momentary lapses (esp. on Sunday nights), when I have to remind myself that I am really retired!!
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #6

4 years for me. It's keeps getting better -
Old 06-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #7

10 months and favorite day in general is Monday.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Puerto Vallarta 6x, Cabo, Playa Del Carmen
I was in Playa this year and am not likely going back. It really went downhill with drugs being offered to us 50 times a day while walking around. Also, the ferry was bombed the week after we left. Our room had 2 laptops and an iPad stolen from it. Too many other safer options out there. Too bad.

I am curious about your 6 trips to Puerto Vallarta. Why so many? How does it compare to other places? I have never been but you seem to be the expert.
- Save all you can
- Buy used cars
- Focus on your end goal
Shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:05 AM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations coming up to 2 years for me and loving it.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:17 AM   #10

1 1/4 years at the end of the month. +1 on the stress, sleep, and more travel. DW was RE earlier so we are in spend down but that is fine at 2% WR or less.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:59 AM   #11

3 years, 50 weeks. Life is good, but gives us challenges to test. We will overcome!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #12

Congratulations!
Just over two years for me and it really does get better each day.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Add my name to the 2-year list, effective May 31st.

I was away, so I didn't do a full financial work-up, to see how I'm doing, as I'd originally planned.

The nice thing about RE, is I don't HAVE to do things as planned

But so far, so good. My one-year cash reserve account hasn't been touched, and in fact may be a few bucks over. We're starting to maybe consider things to "blow that dough" on. DW seemed to really take an interest in a used sports car at the front of a lot nearby.

Overall, the only surprise was that I find I'm always busy. My new mantra when anyone asks is "I don't know how I ever fount time to w*rk."

Even so, I'm taking more time to just relax and do pointless things like reading and posting to forums. No, wait. I did that while I was w*rking, too. Just that back then, I was getting paid for it.

Yes, RE was the right choice.

CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote