Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Today is my last day at work
Old 07-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The way it should read is: "F*** You, strong message to follow."

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #22

I tracked my laptop until it was received at the office and received my last expense check in the mail yesterday.
It's all over. The first 2 days I woke up at 5 am, today at 6 am. There's hope for me yet.

Next to roll my 401K into a Rollover IRA. My current rollover IRA is Wellesley and Wellington. I was going to roll this one into the Wellesley, but wonder if anyone has better suggestions?
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:27 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depends on what ya want the money to do, and when? Both wellesley and wellington are good funds that turn out a nice dividend, part of which is taxable as ordinary income, and part of which is a qualified dividend. You want more income? More dividend? Lower taxes? Money that you can spend every year? Money that will grow with low taxation over time?

Wait until you hit 10am. That appears to be my settling point. I went to noon a lot my first few months then slid back to 10. No matter whether I try to go to bed earlier or later, a week later I'm back to waking up at 10...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
It's all over.* The first 2 days I woke up at 5 am, today at 6 am.* There's hope for me yet.
4:30 AM for me, plus or minus an hour. Let me know if you figure out how to reset your circadian rhythm...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #25

The IRA is money that I won't touch until 59 or afterwards and I'm 52.5 now. *So I want it to grow but not be too risky. *I was planning on plopping it in Wellesley which would put me over the admiral minimum. *I was just unclear whether that was a wise move the way the market looks right now.

I'm reading 4 Pillars now, just not sure whether the advice in it would change based on today's market. *Or maybe I should not even worry about today, just look forward to tomorrow.

Nords, my 5 am has actually been closer to 4:45, but that seems so obscene..... If I can get myself to stay up past 10:30 my hours might slide...
Old 07-02-2005, 06:31 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
4:30 AM for me, plus or minus an hour. Let me know if you figure out how to reset your circadian rhythm...
A baby is doing a good job of trying to change mine. He keeps wanting 5:30am, I keep wanting 10am.

Since you're already up, why dont *you* have another one? hmm?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:42 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I was planning on plopping it in Wellesley which would put me over the admiral minimum. *I was just unclear whether that was a wise move the way the market looks right now.

I'm reading 4 Pillars now, just not sure whether the advice in it would change based on today's market. *Or maybe I should not even worry about today, just look forward to tomorrow.

Nords, my 5 am has actually been closer to 4:45, but that seems so obscene..... If I can get myself to stay up past 10:30 my hours might slide...
"Plopping" will probably save you more in the long run than sitting on the sidelines and waiting to time a dip. But you have to decide if the comfort of those statistics will get you through the trauma of accidentally converting to Admiral shares just before we revert to a 2000-2002 market.

Spouse can't stay awake later than 9:30 but if I tried to stay up past 9:30 then I'd have to spend more time with the kid's teenager night-owl habits. I enjoy the 4:30 AM quiet time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notth
Since you're already up, why dont *you* have another one? hmm?
Oh, I may be up (so to speak) but my intentions are strictly recreative & not procreative. I think everyone knows IMMEDIATELY when their family is the correct size. Unless you have twins, and then you know when it's too big.

Besides, in 12 years or so Gabe's new sleep habits will neatly synch up with yours. Probably to the perpetual despair of your wife trying to sleep at 2 AM while you guys are in the video game room.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
The IRA is money that I won't touch until 59 or afterwards and I'm 52.5 now. *So I want it to grow but not be too risky. *I was planning on plopping it in Wellesley which would put me over the admiral minimum. *I was just unclear whether that was a wise move the way the market looks right now.

Typically up around 5 am (always if DW is working - she leaves at 5:30).
About half the time I go back to bed until 8:30 or 9, but I take a nap most any old time I feel like it. *Maybe in bed by 9, so with no nap that's
about 8 hours of sack time. *Sounds about right, but my average is much higher I'm sure.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Pffft...my video game room is the living room...10' projection and dolby digital with a subwoofer the size of a coffee table. Was up late a few weeks ago watching a movie and the wife came out, unplugged the subwoofer and wordlessly went back to bed. And I didnt even have it up that high...
Old 07-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #30

Don't do it too often, or she'll cut the cord.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Its not the cord I'm worried about...
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
The first week of retirement I woke up every morning at 3:30 AM, realized I didn't have to go to work (ever!) and got so excited I couldn't go back to sleep. After a month I've managed to work it up to 6:30.

REW
Old 07-02-2005, 07:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Wait till you learn the craft of the 30-40 minute afternoon nap - a tough job in ER but somebody's got to do it.

Golden - wakes me up a 6:30 A.M. for his morning whiz and snift - hit the coffeepot switch on the way out. Usually to bed by 10 but watch Charlie Rose during the week before snoozing.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:42 PM   #34

ReWahoo....that's what it is.* I'm thinking about all the great stuff I can do without going to work and then I can't get back to sleep.* I guess when I get used to ER I'll fall back asleep.* It's so new now, it's a novelty.

unclemick,* I've already learned about the nap. 1 PM seems about the right time.* 30 - 40 minutes is about right.* My cat helps by napping with me.*
Old 07-03-2005, 08:46 AM   #35

In bed between 10 and 11. Up about 6:15 a.m. Some days throw in an afternoon nap. Got up for 30 years or so at 5: 25 a.m. It took about a year to get out of that habit. I'd like to sleep later, but cannot.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:35 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I can probaably count the number of times I've gone to bed before midnight. Retirement is no different. I go to bed usually between 12:30 and 2, unless I am up late.*

In summer I try to get to sleep before the birds get going.

I generally sleep till 10 or so. I will get up early if I want to or have to go somewhere.

Ha