Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 04:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
.............travelover - I feel like I'm letting myself down rather than someone else. ......................
Right, that's the first hurdle
__________________

__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
GoodSense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
I don't have much in terms of advice, since I, too, spend a lot of time online, both at w*rk and in the evenings/on weekends, and I am still w*rking.

I do want to say I started reading your blog and have really enjoyed it. It even made me think I should start writing a blog, until I realized that I don't have that many interesting things to say on most days. So for now I will be just content reading others' blogs.
__________________

__________________
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
JacqJolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I do want to say I started reading your blog and have really enjoyed it. It even made me think I should start writing a blog, until I realized that I don't have that many interesting things to say on most days. So for now I will be just content reading others' blogs.
Thanks Goodsense! I don't have many interesting things to say either, but I'm trying to say them twice a week. Although I do like going back and reading it - how weird is that?!? Forums are great for some things, but this is one way of connecting too with friends and family. Often I'll write something on there and start a conversation offline about the topic. Friends and I have learned so much about each other that we didn't know through our blogs.

You could start with a travel blog, apparently you can get them hard-copied or copied onto a disk and it can be a scrapbook down the road. Neat idea!
__________________
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,900
I like your blog, JJ. Especially the part about your entrepreneurial son. What a character.

When not at work, or doing things with family or friends, I'm very much of a daydreamer. So my rule is to get anything out of the way first, that will come back to bite me if it isn't done (e.g. bill paying, school work, exercise). Knowing those are done gives me the peace of mind to fritter away time on the Web

Good luck,

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
GoodSense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post

You could start with a travel blog, apparently you can get them hard-copied or copied onto a disk and it can be a scrapbook down the road. Neat idea!
I did have a travel blog when I was backpacking alone in Central America. The main purpose was to inform my family that I was still alive. It's pretty fun to read through it still. Brings back good memories!
__________________
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I did have a travel blog when I was backpacking alone in Central America. The main purpose was to inform my family that I was still alive. It's pretty fun to read through it still. Brings back good memories!
My remains would be found along side of a road somewhere. No way would I survive such an adventure.

__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
GoodSense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My remains would be found along side of a road somewhere. No way would I survive such an adventure.
I felt pretty safe backpacking, as there were men with machine guns everywhere, and I assumed they were on my side.

My apologies for hijacking the thread! I think we all spend too much time online.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg McDonalds.jpg (49.8 KB, 1 views)
__________________
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
JacqJolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Men with machine guns make you feel safe?!? (Note to self - don't travel with people who feel comfortable with machine guns or clowns.) First time I saw tanks and soldiers at the airport in Athens way back when I nearly freaked. Canadians are such pacifists.

I think Amethyst is right in her method. Everything in moderation, get the necessities and pet projects done and relax guilt-free. It's like TV used to be for many people. Let's say you go on to watch a specific program - afterwards, you have two choices - to shut it off or let it suck you in for the rest of the night watching junk that you really have no interest in. The net is the same way. It's just so darn available, like a built-in social network, particularly for me now as I haven't made the effort yet to make anything but casual friends with people my age - most I have something in common with are still working. Given time and effort, that will change.
__________________
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
Men with machine guns make you feel safe?!? (Note to self - don't travel with people who feel comfortable with machine guns or clowns.) First time I saw tanks and soldiers at the airport in Athens way back when I nearly freaked. Canadians are such pacifists.
Hehehe... I recall herding the wife and children through airport security in Istanbul. Lots of swarthy rugged looking gentlemen with AK-47s. My older daughter's eyes were as big as saucers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
I think Amethyst is right in her method. Everything in moderation, get the necessities and pet projects done and relax guilt-free. It's like TV used to be for many people. Let's say you go on to watch a specific program - afterwards, you have two choices - to shut it off or let it suck you in for the rest of the night watching junk that you really have no interest in. The net is the same way. It's just so darn available, like a built-in social network, particularly for me now as I haven't made the effort yet to make anything but casual friends with people my age - most I have something in common with are still working. Given time and effort, that will change.
As a social network, it's a bit odd, as there is really almost no interaction. Think of it as dropping by the community center daily, and putting up post-it notes in reply to other interesting notes on the community bulletin board. I'd have a hard time calling it real social interaction.

I'm tracking down volunteer jobs that will allow some form of social interaction and not feel like work, so as to maintain more social interaction with actual humans. (And that's another gripe. I found one group that needed lots of volunteers. Seems that they had a turnover problem. The volunteer organizer worked on the assumption that volunteers were too dumb to do anything complex, and would be best used for jobs the paid employees didn't want to do; cleaning toilets, waxing floors, taking out trash... Yup, volunteers as janitorial service. )
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Is that (mugshot) your cat, M. Paquette? eek, what happened to the cute mouse.

Without actually volunteering, I stumbled upon some volunteers yesterday on their lunch break, chatted me up a storm, told me all about the site they were restoring by replanting it. Looked relatively easy for a job as the plants were placed at waist level, no stooping. It was almost too much social interaction for me.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Is that (mugshot) your cat, M. Paquette? eek, what happened to the cute mouse.
Your own tiger looks content, and ... full!

What he had for dinner?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Your own tiger looks content, and ... full!

What he had for dinner?
Touche, they feed the lions and tigers, by throwing huge chucks of meat into their cages on Mondays, and that was a Saturday; his chain has been painted out. We did meet that one walking around the grounds at Marine World Africa U.S.A. in the ‘80s.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Is that (mugshot) your cat, M. Paquette? eek, what happened to the cute mouse.
That's a member of the household cat herd. The cute mouse? I asked the cat, and got:

I eated it.

Life goes on...
__________________
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
It's a jungle out there, hello, kitty.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
JacqJolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
I'm tracking down volunteer jobs that will allow some form of social interaction and not feel like work, so as to maintain more social interaction with actual humans. (And that's another gripe. I found one group that needed lots of volunteers. Seems that they had a turnover problem. The volunteer organizer worked on the assumption that volunteers were too dumb to do anything complex, and would be best used for jobs the paid employees didn't want to do; cleaning toilets, waxing floors, taking out trash... Yup, volunteers as janitorial service. )
Paquette, I'm going to start volunteering at my son's school for the lunch program. I really like cooking so I think it's a good idea. They were trying to nail me down for certain days, but I'd rather do drop-in - if I wanted to be tied down right now to a schedule, I'd be w*rking.
__________________
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,444
Advanced apology to the OP, but I have to tell this story, after the recent post about tigers.


An unemployed man applied for a job at a zoo. The zoo director told him that there is only one job available due to recent budget cuts. The desperate man said that he would take anything. So, the zoo director explained that the beloved gorilla of the zoo just died, and they had no budget to buy another one, so our man would be offered the job of donning a gorilla suit to pose in the cage for visitor viewing.

The first day on the job, our man felt depressed in his suit, so he just sat there on a stump. Soon, some kids walked up to the cage, and pointed excitedly at him. So, our good-hearted man thought he should do something to entertain the kids. He started to jump up and down, thumping his chest. The kids were just thrilled, and soon, there was a crowd gathering outside the cage.

Our gorilla got really into it now. He grapped a rope and started swinging. He swung higher and higher, until he lost his grip and fell over the wall, over a moat, into the next animal exhibit.



As he regained his breath and was sure that he did not break any bone, he realized that he landed in a tiger cage.



Our poor man nearly died of a heart attack. Breathing heavily, he looked around and saw the tiger about 100 ft away, lying under a tree. The tiger must be full, because it looked at him indifferently. So, our man gathered his strength, crawled over to the partition wall, and tried to climb over. Of course he failed and became more and more panicky with each failed attempt. Not being able to control himself anymore, he started to call out for help.

Over his shoulder, he saw the tiger standing up, and starting to strut towards him. He closed his eyes, and started to say his prayer.










The tiger strutted to within his earshot, and whispered "Hey pipe down! You want to get both of us fired?"
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:46 PM   #37
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,146
I've been retired less than 2 weeks and my net time has dropped quite a lot.

This is because the last few months I've been winding down at work so increasing spare time to surf while at work. Now I'm retired I am much more active outside of the home and have found my net time hard to fit in.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
JacqJolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I've been retired less than 2 weeks and my net time has dropped quite a lot.

This is because the last few months I've been winding down at work so increasing spare time to surf while at work. Now I'm retired I am much more active outside of the home and have found my net time hard to fit in.
I think you moved to Dallas though Alan? I think part of the increase for anyone is just due to winter weather. I get outside every day to walk the dog once or twice a day, but it sure is nice to be staying off those ugly icy roads at this time of year.
__________________
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? - Mary Oliver

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
I think you moved to Dallas though Alan? I think part of the increase for anyone is just due to winter weather. I get outside every day to walk the dog once or twice a day, but it sure is nice to be staying off those ugly icy roads at this time of year.
Yes, the outdoor activities are MUCH easier with decent weather. But the routine we have settled into is that mornings are indoors in the YMCA doing exercise classes and socializing with friends. Big change from the last few months at work where the 5 hours between 6 and 11 just seemed to take forever, hence all the net time that is now no more.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
One thing about net addiction is that volunteer work is available, even there, eh, Alan?

I’m with you, NW-Bound, thread drift is normal here, is this the guy?:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5943.jpg (588.5 KB, 1 views)
__________________

__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time Mag: Why its time to retire the 401 (K) clifp FIRE and Money 59 10-17-2009 10:54 AM
If Too Much Time In The Gym Leaves You With Too Little Time For Your Honey, Try This haha Health and Early Retirement 14 08-27-2009 04:03 PM
long time lurker, first time poster grateful Hi, I am... 1 09-19-2006 07:28 PM
Net Worth:Life Time Income Ratio? mb FIRE and Money 11 03-24-2006 01:38 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:32 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.