Join Early Retirement Today

Too much net time?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Too much net time?

I've just been semi-retired for a few weeks now (only work about 10 hours/week mostly from home), but find that my time on the net has increased a HUGE amount. I've got tons of home improvement projects that I want to work on, lots of books to be read, a bunch of decluttering to do and have always wanted to write a book as well but I find myself either surfing the net, emailing friends, or walking the dog for several hours some days.
It seems that I got more done on my personal projects when I was working full-time. Any suggestions? I would really like to get these reno projects in particular done and out of the way on a more timely basis but can't seem to make myself get going.

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
JacqJolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacqJolie View Post
I would really like to get these reno projects in particular done and out of the way on a more timely basis but can't seem to make myself get going.
I would get right on those Reno projects too. If you hurry you could get down on the Super Bowl. Then there is craps, Blackjack, basketball...

You'll never have time for the net again.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Don't worry, be happy.

I was actually on the computer MORE while w*rking. These days, my net usage is directly weather related. Sunny and warm, I'm outside. Icky and cold, here I am in cyberspace.

I believe your surfing patterns and overall time spent online will change. When
e-saturation hits, your list of ToDos will get accomplished.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Um, would that net be basketball or tennis? Seems to me jumping over the net would be plenty of exercise.

JJ, I glanced at your blog a couple of weeks ago and, ironically it motivated me to be more diligent in monitoring my net time. Two hours a day should cover it for me but it varies. Your writing is interesting and worth prioritizing. Funny, but in order to get more quality leisure time, I still keep a calendar.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

You are only newly semi retired so take it easy on your self . You will eventually get busy with other things and your net time will just decrease naturally . By the way great blog !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
Administrator

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much guys, I tend to forget that anyone but a few friends even read it at all. I think I just wanted to point out that single parents can retire early too if they want it bad enough.

I think that's part of my problem freebird, I wasn't a net user at work at all. And I've been so used to working two jobs plus a hefty commute that I'm disoriented.

Janet - I'm not replacing my windows until spring, so I can't throw my computer through them until then.

I've had almost zero "me" time for about 5 years so this sense of freedom is so odd. And then I got kind of sick the last couple of weeks, but am getting back to normal (which still isn't normal by normal standards.)

What's that saying 'if you want something done, give it to a busy person?' Apparently it's true!

I might be testing out a new time management system for a few weeks, so we'll see how that goes. I had great success with previous systems of the author in getting some big projects started and some long overdue stuff. Here's the system for anyone out there who's interested in that kind of thing:
DIT2? AF5? Who cares what it's called? This is what I'm working on at the*moment... - Blog - Get Everything Done

PS - is the concept of time management blasphemous on this forum?

Don’t struggle so much, the best things happen when not expected. — Gabriel García Márquez
Old 02-04-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

As you have only been semi retired for such a short time you might just need to decompress for a bit.

I have found that I have to have some kind of schedule, especially in the winter when I can easily hole up on the couch with the dog and read novels and cruise the net all day.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
As you have only been semi retired for such a short time you might just need to decompress for a bit.

I have found that I have to have some kind of schedule, especially in the winter when I can easily hole up on the couch with the dog and read novels and cruise the net all day.
What is wrong with that? Just pretend you are modern day monk, contemplating the universe, with the benefit of having much of the world's knowledge easily accessible, via the miracle of Google.

Anyhow that's how I justify not getting of my lazy butt to doing anything productive
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
What is wrong with that? Just pretend you are modern day monk, contemplating the universe, with the benefit of having much of the world's knowledge easily accessible, via the miracle of Google.
Oh, that reminds me that I've taken out a bunch of books on Buddhism out of the library that need to be read. And I've been a monk/nun for too long too...

I think Covey permanently damaged my life by that "what do you want written on your tombstone" question. Mistress of google?!? It has a ring to it...

Old 02-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, that reminds me that I've taken out a bunch of books on Buddhism out of the library that need to be read. And I've been a monk/nun for too long too...

I think Covey permanently damaged my life by that "what do you want written on your tombstone" question. Mistress of google?!? It has a ring to it...
I was about risk severe mental health by getting a copy of Rick Warren's "A purpose driven life", fortunately I came across my favorite Hawaii T-Shirt Kimo's rules

Rule 5. The unaimed arrow rarely misses.

I love mistress of Google.

Enjoy your sabbatical mine has lasted 10 years...
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #12

Quote:
I've just been semi-retired for a few weeks now (only work about 10 hours/week mostly from home), but find that my time on the net has increased a HUGE amount.
Well, isn't that the point of being retired? You can do whatever you want.

Like freebird, when the weather is lousy I'm inside on the computer, reading, TV, in a trance, etc. When the weather is nice I'm outside doing outside stuff.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

You do realize that you are are asking for advice on a forum full of net-oholics?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You do realize that you are are asking for advice on a forum full of net-oholics?
Too true!
I can't tell you how helpful you guys have been in changing my outlook so that I don't always think I have to be accomplishing things to be a worthwhile person - and happy. It may take awhile to deprogram 20+ years of indoctrination though.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I've said it before, but my biggest challenge and accomplishment when I retired was to quit worrying about "what I should be doing". I finally gave myself permission to let my true, lazy personality come out and I'm happy as he11. As long as you aren't letting someone else down, I don't see anything wrong with this approach.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 AM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I've said it before, but my biggest challenge and accomplishment when I retired was to quit worrying about "what I should be doing". I finally gave myself permission to let my true, lazy personality come out and I'm happy as he11.
I consider myself among the fortunate who bypassed the first step and went directly to the lazy, happy as he11 stage of retirement. I highly recommend this strategy if you can swing it.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Not to be too technical, but he only abused the monitor. The computer just watched it all.

Now this is more betterer.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been retired just one week as of today. My personal net time has increased significantly, but overall time on the computer has decreased. When I was working I was using a computer virtually all the time except when in meetings. My to do list is very long and I'm not going to worry about it anytime soon. I'm also getting a bunch of errands done that were always hard to get to while working.

I plan to enjoy my retirement time as I hope you will.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been semi-retired for 2+ years. Almost retired, really, because I work less than 10 hours a week at something most people would consider more fun than work.

Being a type A personality has made it a bit of a challenge for me to completely relax and enjoy my new-found time. What helps me a little is to make a list of small things I want to accomplish for the week. Each day, I pick one or two things from the list to do, then I can reward myself with free time to do whatever I want. As others have mentioned, if the weather is nice I spend a lot of time outdoors. In winter, I spend more time reading, knitting, working on indoor home projects.

And actually, I find it very helpful and relaxing to spend some time on this forum.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice everyone!

I'm very used to having external accountability, deadlines and all that stuff and letting all of my personal projects slide for the sake of w*rk.

travelover - I feel like I'm letting myself down rather than someone else.

Going on a little ski holiday next week, so I think I should get my mojo back after some true R&R without the specter of renovations or w*rk (as little as it is nowadays) looming over me. Ski, eat, drink, read, rinse, repeat...