Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-31-2016, 04:44 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I think you are correct and I have read that about people with criminal issues as well. Both may be at least partially mental health and biochemical issues and not simple a matter of bad morals or poor choices.
Several years ago I read a book titled Please Understand Me: Character & Temperament Types. Basically it describes in detail the different personality types of the Myers-Briggs profiles. I could recognize myself, my wife, and my ex-wife's behavior in it and it describes the behavior associated with each.

I found it fascinating as it helped me understand why apparently intelligent people do what I think are dumb things. Another fascinating book that goes into detail on the experiments that your link describes is Daniel Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 04:45 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I guess I had a much different take on these stories. I kinda respected these folks for not feeling sorry for themselves, making do with what was available to them, exerting some control over their lives and most of all being willing to keep working.
I think I see people like this all the time working minimal wage jobs in grocery stores, etc. and providing service to customers. The only twist on the folks in the story was the nomadic lifestyle. I might not agree with their choices, but they're not asking me to be responsible for them either.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
No, not at all, but the dramatic headline alone is asking us to see them as sad sacks. The author could have presented their stories differently, maybe as three examples of hardworking industrious people who are tackling hard times on their own terms and getting by. There is nothing dishonorable in any of the jobs they are doing.
Old 01-31-2016, 04:47 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To some extent I feel sorry for them but they could right their ship by selling the RV's, getting an affordable apartment and utilizing the services they qualify for. They don't need to live like that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
To some extent I feel sorry for them but they could right their ship by selling the RV's, getting an affordable apartment and utilizing the services they qualify for. They don't need to live like that.
Maybe they just like the lifestyle. Why, I even know that at least one gentleman on this forum happens to live in an old, beat-up motor home because he wants to. He also loves to not only eat out, but also take friends and family with him!

Hermit
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:34 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I may be accused of being a hard-ass and unsympathetic, but it seems most all of these stories like the example three RV nomads, are essentially a self-inflicted problem.........
I think you are absolutely right. People that cut themselves on purpose are also causing self inflicted wounds, but they are just a little further out on the crazy spectrum. It comes down, IMO, to where you start to feel compassion instead of disdain.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

FL Wright apparently got his young staff to work for him for free; looks like he's still fleecing people from the grave nearly 60 years later.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:59 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have been to restaurants where a side dish of mashed potatoes or steamed broccoli is $10. So, the $21.36 meal for a prime rib is not bad, even for this woman. But in addition to the $100 to see a Frank Lloyd tour, I wonder what other things that she spent money on that she should not.

As I said earlier, I have read blogs of destitute people who spend $5 on a fancy-schmancy toothpaste tube, or buy grocery at Whole Foods. How do we help these people?
Vote for Bernie.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
We splurge and go to the restaurant:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Brilliant
I beg your pardon. Not brilliant.

The signs in front say "Giant Char-broil Burgers" and "Char-broil Steaks".

I would expect "Grilled Armadillo with Dandelion Salad", "Possum Sauteed with Wild Chicory Leaves", or "Nutria Marinated with Moonshine".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
No, not at all, but the dramatic headline alone is asking us to see them as sad sacks. The author could have presented their stories differently, maybe as three examples of hardworking industrious people who are tackling hard times on their own terms and getting by. There is nothing dishonorable in any of the jobs they are doing.
My choice: "... three examples of industrious people who are living the life they want, even if it takes hard work to do so".

And yes, it is true that they appear to be excellent workers, and give their employers a lot for the pay.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:53 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Vote for Bernie.
Yep, yep yep as an old combat vet of the '47 States and the Soviet of Washington (INTJ history joke)' I still have fond memories of my parents (1934 high school grads) drills/lessons on frugal should the shoe drop and "The Great Depression' return.

I remember my legend in my own mind early ER efforts at 'Cheap SOB-ness".

heh heh heh - alas time in ER and the compounding of Mr Market has made a 35 year overnight success. in my non humble view.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:02 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

I almost always spend much more than 21$, but I don't go out that often and when I do I normally order something that takes much preparation. Easy to make dishes I prepare at home much cheaper. But I am not $50,000 in debt or I would be eating Ramen Noodles!
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:34 PM   #131

i am enjoying everyone's comments, and I agree these people have made bad choices.
i used to get a lot of crap at work because of all the traveling I did. I finally told a coworker,look, if we make the same money, and you want a fancy car and a big house, go for it. I have about $1000 a month less in payments. That gives me 12K a year to travel. You made your choice, i made mine
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I guess I had a much different take on these stories. I kinda respected these folks for not feeling sorry for themselves, making do with what was available to them, exerting some control over their lives and most of all being willing to keep working.
I think I see people like this all the time working minimal wage jobs in grocery stores, etc. and providing service to customers. The only twist on the folks in the story was the nomadic lifestyle. I might not agree with their choices, but they're not asking me to be responsible for them either.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

No, I'm with you here. Lots of good stuff in some of the discussions but I find the judgement on some of these threads to be a bit much sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Fred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Too poor to retire; too young to die
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #133
gone traveling

Too poor to retire; too young to die

We will see more and more of this over time. Not so surprising... 1 candy now or 2 candies later.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Poor choices
Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #134

Poor choices

Numerous poor choices here: gas to travel in RV. Tow along just another vehicle to insure and repair. Free food at shelters is "not healthy enough". Prime rib dinner. $50k in CC debt but still pays to see a Wright tour.

Renting an efficiency apt, or moving in with a roommate or relative would really help. Living where public transportation is available and selling 2 vehicles would really help. Cooking at home would really help.

Guess I'm missing the compassion gene on this one......
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:32 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlow65 View Post
I almost always spend much more than 21$, but I don't go out that often and when I do I normally order something that takes much preparation. Easy to make dishes I prepare at home much cheaper. But I am not $50,000 in debt or I would be eating Ramen Noodles!
We often make dishes at home that take a lot of preparation. Cooking is a hobby for us, the same as some people spending a lot of time working on their classic cars, making furniture, etc... When it's a pastime, who is looking at the clock?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-31-2016, 10:57 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
We will see more and more of this over time. Not so surprising... 1 candy now or 2 candies later.

I think they have a different mentality all together. Are they just foolishly optimistic or it is some kind of pleasure principal at play here?

What I've noticed about some of my friends who are just getting by - if they have extra cash, they don't think about saving it first
. They think about what extra fun they could have with it like getting a watch they had been wanting for a while - an Apple Watch. Or they get laid off and take the long vacation they always wanted to take but couldn't because they were working and had no time to. Money? Oh they got severance and would be getting unemployment, plus they could dip into savings if they had to. (That's what they (my friends) would say.) They always seem to come out of the other end fine somehow, which kind of amazes me every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:02 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She can’t buy in bulk because Big Foot has little storage space. Often, she’s forced to purchase smaller-sized products — at convenience store prices — that fit a smallish RV refrigerator.
Something I noticed but forgot to comment on.

The woman has a class C motorhome, and the refrigerator commonly put into these models is a 6-cf unit, which is what we have in our class C. See photo below. It is indeed small compared to a residential fridge, but we have no problem storing food during our RV trek. And that's for 2 people.

It is true that we cannot keep a big jar of mayo like we have at home, and the ketchup bottle has to be small. But we never have to get them at convenience stores. Normal grocery stores carry them.

What are they talking about?

Old 02-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

As Marvin Zindler used to say on Houston TV, "It's Hell to be poor!" [...in America--my addition.]

It distresses me extremely that so many people in our fabulous culture do not know how to take care of themselves, how to prepare for an uncertain future. (I live in fear that my own children may not have grasped this, but I hope I am wrong.)

I have great sympathy for women in this situation. I do not have the same sympathy for men. (T.S., guys.) We males are responsible for ourselves, and for our families, should we choose to have them, regardless of what happens later. Period.

I read somewhere (from a woman author) that a man is not a retirement plan. It appears that our daughter may have come to realize this (we hope).

My opinion. Sue me.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
But there are plenty of opportunities to spend more... Like the high end fish taco place a block from Barbarella's... Everything is ala carte and it's hard to get out of there for cheap.

Rubio's is plenty high end for me if we are talking fish taco's.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

The people in the story aren't asking for sympathy but it seems the author is trying to evoke some.

I always wonder about the author's agenda on these stories. My first reaction is always that someone wants me to cough up more money either through taxes, contributions or other means by trying to make me feel guilty.

I'm sort of fatigued out on that score.