Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #161
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW and I find that if we set our smartphones on the table and open our votive candle apps, it sets a very understated yet elegant ambiance that goes well with a taco dinner just about anywhere!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #162
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Agreed. I find the decor at Hardees to be too utilitarian and industrial--it fairly screams "proletariat". But, the new Taco Bell locations have a hip feel and reserved appointments that soothe while they subtly excite--I know I've arrived as I dine there and allow it all to wash over me. The smart (saucy?) and ironic musings printed on the salsa packets aren't fully appreciated by the hoi polloi, but they speak to my very soul.

A woody Merlot goes well with the Dorito Taco.
Oh, thank you!

I enjoyed this as I dined this evening (in the ambiance cast by the light of my laptop) on "Fish Fillet Garnished with Just a Touch of the Finest Feline Fur Found Anywhere" (anywhere in Chateau de Moi, that is).

Old 02-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #163
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Something I noticed but forgot to comment on.

The woman has a class C motorhome, and the refrigerator commonly put into these models is a 6-cf unit, which is what we have in our class C. See photo below. It is indeed small compared to a residential fridge, but we have no problem storing food during our RV trek. And that's for 2 people.

It is true that we cannot keep a big jar of mayo like we have at home, and the ketchup bottle has to be small. But we never have to get them at convenience stores. Normal grocery stores carry them.

What are they talking about?

In Europe, that would be considered a large refrigerator. In my childhood home, the fridge was half that size.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:48 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I believe there is a place in Southern California called Slab City that has a lot of these types of people. There's been several news articles over the years about the plight of those living at Slab City. This latest article is another reminder of the importance of planning for retirement.
Slab City is right by the Salton Sea in CA. It is a desolate area that is hotter than hell in summer. Mostly a winter getaway, it is free camping, but without any utility services. It has a lot of alternative lifestyle folks, or those that want to get out of civilization. It is not exactly a tourist destination.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
as my now deceased FIL used to say when pressed on similar issues: "someone will take care of me"
There are folks who's strategy is to just spend what little they have and then go on welfare when it's gone. Our state provides a $50K equivalent income.

My niece's plan is to marry rich but I don't see that happening for her.

Her fall-back is to watch TV until DW and I go and leave her a bundle...but we may, errrrr....adjust that expectation soon. The wheels are starting to wear out on that gravy train.

Then there are people who just somehow manage to stumble through life from one "someone taking care of me" to another.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Lunch for 2 in Scottsdale with wine/beer generally runs about $100, generous tip included.
Breakfast with our ROMEO walking group averages $100 each with generous tip 3x a week. No Alcohol. Usually coffee or juice. (That is MXN!) Eggs benedict would be slightly higher.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:58 AM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In my childhood home, the fridge was half that size.
and in my childhood cottage, the top third was reserved for the block of ice...
Old 02-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Breakfast with our ROMEO walking group averages $100 each with generous tip 3x a week. No Alcohol. Usually coffee or juice. (That is MXN!) Eggs benedict would be slightly higher.
That seems pretty expensive. What is ROMEO? Where, PV? Dollars or Pesos?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:04 AM   #169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
My niece's plan is to marry rich but I don't see that happening for her.
That's a plan highly dependent on "talent" and luck. Like a lot of kids in high school who are going to be professional athletes, singers, musicians, rap artists (as distinct from musicians), etc. I guess they really believe it, which would be okay if they also built a backup plan that involves going to school, learning a trade, etc.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #170
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Breakfast with our ROMEO group daily averages about $4 per person at the local Burger king. No need to tip anybody, no need to actually buy more than a senior coffee @ $0.54. The owner of the BK is in the group also.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #171
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
That seems pretty expensive. What is ROMEO? Where, PV? Dollars or Pesos?
It's over the top expensive from my point of view. ROMEO is Retired Old Men Eating Out.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Slab City is right by the Salton Sea in CA. It is a desolate area that is hotter than hell in summer. Mostly a winter getaway, it is free camping, but without any utility services. It has a lot of alternative lifestyle folks, or those that want to get out of civilization. It is not exactly a tourist destination.
LOL, I sent our British friends who were touring the USA in a campervan there as tourists. They thought it was fantastic, especially Salvation Mountain.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #173

Quote:
how on earth do you spend $100 without any alcohol?
Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Confused?
The $ sign is used in Mexico for the Peso.
100 Mexican Pesos ~ $5.45 US.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
You could make the waitress's day and leave a big tip.

Seriously, I don't think I've ever been in a place where one could spend $100 on breakfast. They probably wouldn't let me in anyway.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #176
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
It's easy in MXN$ (as the poster said).

We are invited to spend $60 each (US$) for holiday brunches at a nearby hotel. Umm, no.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #177
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some of you guys are brutal, call me a softy but I applaud her (the first story) for standing on her own two feet and not asking for public assistance (and if she did I'm sure some here would label her a free loader). Not only that but despite the hardship she's following her dream of touring the country on her own. Sure she could've done things differently to be in a better situation now or who knows may be she did make all the right choices but perhaps some situation outside her control wiped her out? She still has my respect and sympathy for doing the best she can at her age.

Considering she's older than my mother I certainly would send her a small donation if I knew where to send it.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:51 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Oh I thought you were talking Canadian dollars, worth a lot less these days, IIRC.
Was down on the Baja the winter of 1997/8...when it took a dive...went to change some Canadian dollars.....Mexican guy either said "Your money is worth less" or "Your money is worthless"...wasn't sure which.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #179

Dvalley, The article is sad but there are many people making these same bad decisions all the time. I can't get passed the poor judgment she uses. The prime rib lunch to take the "edge off" before she goes food shopping. The "big insurance bill" coming due that lunch may have put her over the top. The Wright house tour ticket she bought instead of dental work. The article says she "is as stubborn as she is high-spirited." I know one like that and he will stick to his poor choices just to prove everyone wrong. The article is like a train wreck for me. I keep going back and reading it and thinking "how could you be so stupid" (I know, not nice to call a stranger stupid but that's what I'm thinking). I read something like this "She could hit the road, but she would have to keep working. And just maybe, there might be money for a few nice things. It was all so scary but also a little exciting." Money for a few nice things? That is stupid, pay off your debt that would be a "nice thing". Send a donation to your local animal shelter.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
In Europe, that would be considered a large refrigerator. In my childhood home, the fridge was half that size.
Quote:
and in my childhood cottage, the top third was reserved for the block of ice...
My RV fridge is really smaller than it looks. Remember that it is only 6 cu.ft or 170 liters. The interior is small for 2 reasons. First, it is shallow because about 3 inches in the back side are taken up for the tubing; RV fridges are ammonia absorption type in order to run off propane. Secondly, it has thicker walls for better insulation, because the ammonia absorption process does not have the same cooling capacity (BTU/hr) compared to the common freon compressor type.

Still, we manage. My wife can pack food in there pretty tight.

At home, we have more than 40 cu.ft. between two fridges, and both are choked full! We eat a variety of food, and do not want to go grocery shopping every day, so stock up all different cuts of meat, bones for soup, condiments from east to west (kimchi and hoisin sauce to tartar and capers), cheese of about 5 or 6 different kinds, etc...