Join Early Retirement Today

Top relocation cities
Old 04-29-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Top relocation cities

I know some people on the forum look for places to relocate so here is another list.

http://www.homestore.com/RealEstateN...&poe=homestore
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Top relocation cities
Old 04-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

(sniff, sniff) something fishy here, of all the places around me to list, Murietta CA is the only one to make the list? Yech! 120 in the summer, freezing in the winter, bleak desert landscape, bedroom community for those who work in San Diego but can't afford to live there. Traffic everywhere....I could go on, but I'll refrian. Eureka is nice if you don't mind the rain.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:17 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

There was only one listing for Iowa. But that's OK by me. IA is a little known secret and I would like to keep it that way.

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 07:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

LovesLife:
My husband is in the midst of interviewing with an Iowa company (near Des Moines). At this point the job looks very interesting, but the move to Iowa would be a little scary for me. I'm kind of a city girl, but my husband grew up in Iowa.

I am also a wimp when it comes to winter.

Anyway, not sure if he'll get it or not, if salary etc. works, so this is very premature....then we will really have to decide if it is worth the move. I was planning to quite my job this year anyway, so my career is not really a factor at this point. It would be the lifestyle change that I am most concerned about.

Have you lived in Iowa for a long time?
Old 04-30-2005, 07:24 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Kay,

I've lived in Iowa my whole life and I have to say, I love it. However, I love a quiet life. I have visited large cities frequently and find them to be too busy, crowded, dirty, and expensive. I visit my cousin twice yearly in SF and other than seeing her, the best parts of the trip are when we leave the city.

Iowa has friendly people and fairly decent school systems. Taxes are becoming a problem, though. I think because the general population is down, the gov' is trying to tax the heck out the the property owners.

You can't beat the beauty in NE Iowa. Absolutely gorgeous!! Beautiful bluffs overlooking the Miss. river. Neat antique towns. Great little restuerants.

Around the Des Moines area, you'll find big city stuff to do. Des Moines is pretty up on that kind of thing, but as I said earlier, I am not really into all that.

I just love the peace and quiet here and I love my house that is nestled in the woods complete with a beautiful pond for fishing, sunning, whatever.

Did I read earlier that you guys have a farm? Sounds perfect, if so. Could put a real cushion around the noise.

LovesLife
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill
(sniff, sniff) something fishy here, of all the places around me to list, Murietta CA is the only one to make the list? Yech! 120 in the summer, freezing in the winter, bleak desert landscape, bedroom community for those who work in San Diego but can't afford to live there. Traffic everywhere....I could go on, but I'll refrian. Eureka is nice if you don't mind the rain.
The list does look a bit fishy from the ER aspect but its a FAMILY list so kids, schools, etc. skew away from the geezer magnet commuities.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM   #7

There are not too many places in the list that I would consider to live at retirement. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:27 AM   #8

I understand where Loveslife is coming from..............about Iowa.
Some parts are real nice, but re. NE Iowa, the Illinois side of the river is just as pretty. Unlike Loveslife I dislike Illinois
(lots of reasons). Anyway, I came back because
of my kids and now I stay mostly because of my parents.
We live in what is arguably the prettiest part of the state, and being
90 miles from Chicago (and on the water) doesn't hurt our long term
RE prospects. Still, without the family ties I doubt very much if we would stay, even for part of the year. OTOH, lots of people have lived
here all their lives and love it. No accounting for taste.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rankings are mere one-sided perceptions but* I am from the South and I would very much hope I did not run out of gas in most of the areas on the list (Montgomery, Alabama).* Some things are best seen from a rear-view mirror, including the White House.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I noticed that Crestview, Florida is on the list. So is Fort Walton Beach.

This area is where the military comes to retire (USAF mainly, with the Navy in the area).

OTOH, individual tastes vary all over the place. I like it here, but some of you would hate it.

Have fun.

John R.
JWR1945 is offline   Reply With Quote