Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Top Ten Things We Don't See On The Board
Old 05-13-2005, 03:07 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

It bears repeating-- work in "retirement" (I know, oxymoronic) is for those who aren't taking responsibility for their own entertainment & fulfillment.

Donner, I think you have a terminal case of paralysis by analysis.
Hi Nords, yep, I agree........never enough time.

Re. "paralysis by analysis", I use that one all the time. The other day
I was having lunch with a friend (my age) who said he had never heard it before. Said he would use it for sure. I gave him permission!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2005, 06:45 AM   #62

We also have a saying up here in Minnesota. Work is for people that don't know how to fish.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:07 AM   #63
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nords,

Thanks for posting the Reuters links.* I have seen quite a few hits from this forum.* Much appreciated!

JLP

http://allthingsfinancial.blogspot.com
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:21 PM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

I guess the original post was about ER and pitfalls? I retired when I was 40, that was my goal. It was nice at first, but I think I was to young to take it easy. My wife and I have a very good marriage, if you don't have a strong marriage IMHO it's a bad idea.

We traveled extensively and basically went to every country we wanted to.

But I was unprepaired for the rising health insurance, cost of autos, home prices etc.

One day my wife gives me an information sheet with a job on it and says why don't you apply. I did and I got it. So now I have a second career, great insurance, and I'll get a nice retirement also.

I had enough money to retire but not enough to retire in style.

I spend more for groceries now than when all the kids were home. My property taxes are half as much as my first house cost. It seems we have 3 to 4 birthday gifts every month. Then I need to help a kid money wise here or there.

I guess the old saying that you never can be to thin, to pretty or to rich may be right.

I would like to work now until I can get Medicare and then I am not sure. We talked about a motorhome and travel the U.S. I am from the Midwest and would like to relocate somewhere where it's not such a tax state, with warmer weather. Not sure where and open for suggestions. I hate big cities and like the simple country life.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 01:32 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Spike, how long were you out before returning to work?

M
Old 05-24-2005, 03:24 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike
I had enough money to retire but not enough to retire in style.
I think it's important to retire with enough so you can't label yourself as cheap.* I don't see the point to retiring if you are going to deny yourself (or worse, your family) certain things you know you would enjoy with an average income.* I don't mean denying yourself things like a new 2005 Mercedes.* I mean denying yourself things like a modestly priced car when you've grown accustomed to having a car your whole working life.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Spike, I appreciate your story. I guess that is why there is an active "plan B" thread. One of the perils of retiring very young is that it is impossible to predict all that may change. And work isn't that awful; I would rather work for a few more years than try to live miserly for 40-50 years after retirement. At least, that is what I have been doing for the last couple of years.

Like Mikey (HaHa) I am curious about how many years you were out of the workforce. Also, did you go back to a new type of work?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:46 AM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

I retired for 5 years, fixed everything on my house, got a black belt in T-Kwon-do, maybe drove the wife a little nuts.

I changed carriers, took a government job. Great benefits, wish I would of started here when I was 18, big retirement benefits.

I was always self-employed and one of the biggest mistakes I made was not realizing how much cash you need until you croak. These big retirements are worth a small fortune. It would take lots of money to make the kind of monthly income these retirement plans pay.

I went into real estate and bought lots of buildings so when they were paid off I had my own annuity. But after 25 years of rental property it became a big pain. The quality of tenants went lower every year. The low interest rates and no down payment loans took the best tenants off the rental market. So I sold off the buildings. I wanted to be able to leave the state or country without being obligated to manage my property. I make less money but the blood pressure is much lower.

I guess money isn't everything but it's a secure feeling to know your not going to starve.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:54 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I retired for 5 years, fixed everything on my house, got a black belt in T-Kwon-do, maybe drove the wife a little nuts.
Oh, great. Next week is my third anniversary of ER.

I'd rather take Unclemick's or Cut-Throat's approaches. I'm glad it's working for you, Spike, but except for the black belt I sure hope it turns out differently for me...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #70

Quote:

I guess the old saying that you never can be to thin, to pretty or to rich may be right.

I would like to work now until I can get Medicare and then I am not sure. We talked about a motorhome and travel the U.S. I am from the Midwest and would like to relocate somewhere where it's not such a tax state, with warmer weather. Not sure where and open for suggestions. I hate big cities and like the simple country life.
We also "hate big cities" and love the "simple country life". But, I would exist
on road kill and cat food before going back to work.
I'm not kidding.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
We also "hate big cities" and love the "simple country life". But, I would exist
I'm not kidding.

JG
Bon Appetite Mr. G

http://home.flash.net/~rockware/chili.html

http://www.funnyjunk.com/p/roadkill_grill-gif.html
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #72

Don't think this exactly fits here but didn't think this question deserved it's own thread.

I'm renting a Hertz car for a road trip. I don't have my own car insurance. Has anyone used a Gold or Platinum VISA/MasterCard for renting and used the insurance guarantee associated with the car? Can I trust VISA/MC to pay?

More simply. Has anyone had an accident while insured by VISA or MC?

Don't want to post on this thread that ER'd early, wrecked a rental car and now broke and back at work!

Thanks.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:29 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
I'm renting a Hertz car for a road trip. I don't have my own car insurance.* Has anyone used a Gold or Platinum VISA/MasterCard for renting and used the insurance guarantee associated with the car?* Can I trust VISA/MC to pay?

More simply.* Has anyone had an accident while insured by VISA or MC?
I do it all the time when I rent a car in the USA and overseas.* I always decline the insurance and specifically mention to the agent that I'm covered under the credit card insurance program.* They never argue with me.

However, I have never tested the system since, thankfully, I have never had an accident.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:53 AM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
I think it's important to retire with enough so you can't label yourself as cheap.* I don't see the point to retiring if you are going to deny yourself (or worse, your family) certain things you know you would enjoy with an average income.* I don't mean denying yourself things like a new 2005 Mercedes.* I mean denying yourself things like a modestly priced car when you've grown accustomed to having a car your whole working life.
While I appreciate what R@40's saying, here is a different take on material posessions: I have few and -for now- don't lust for more.

I love to travel and stuff just slows me down.

In another life, I owned a car, house and all of the additional stuff that goes with ownership; like a trash can, lawnmower (gas can for the lawnmower) tools for the home and car...

Now I rent, ride the bus/subway/elevated train and enjoy my free time.

Public transportation = zero maintenance.

Finally, my time is my own.

For now, "my posessions" are travel experiences and making memories.

One thing about ER is that you have to live with yourself fulltime-no work buffer to mask insecurities. Don't get me wrong, if a person wants/needs/loves to work, knock yourself out. But if you really want to ER, craft a realistic plan then have a little faith in your numbers.

Just my take,

Lance

PS-Had to stroll down to the ATM this week to make a rent withdrawl. Man, I'm whipped. Lazy is good

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #75

Retire@40,
yeah that's my experience also and I can't remember ever hearing about VISA not paying but I just feel shaky not knowing.

Lance,
I just took the EL (train) to Midway walked out of the terminal, caught a cab to the National Archives branch. Round trip cost $8 and was hassle free and interesting people watching and all along the way were cars stuck bumper-to-bumper. Of my 40 years of driving, I have been without a car for a total of 5-6 years and have learned to loath them.

Even thinking of not renting the Hertz car just to avoid the hassles of insurance, filling up, parking, watching out for other reckless drivers, bad weather conditions, debris on highway.

Every time I drive I feel like a little sparrow, twitching head side to side, poised for instant reaction, watching for every possible threat. Heart beating 160 time/min.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:14 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

(* But, I would exist
I'm not kidding.)

JG
Yesss!!!* That's the spirit!* JG, you would never be anybody's slave; wage or otherwise!
windsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

Public Transit is great, but what if you live in (or want to visit) an area where it just isn't an option. Do you ever find not having a car restrictive?
NoloPress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 05:25 PM   #78

Yes
Old 08-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoloPress
Public Transit is great, but what if you live in (or want to visit) an area where it just isn't an option.* Do you ever find not having a car restrictive?
My friends in NYC and SF just rent one when they need it - 4-5 times a year. Way cheaper than owning, in that economy.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoloPress
Public Transit is great, but what if you live in (or want to visit) an area where it just isn't an option.* Do you ever find not having a car restrictive?
NP,

Outside the USA, generally speaking, public transportation is readily available, albeit sometimes not the most comfortable. Another strategy is to hire a driver; it's still cheaper in the long run (no ongoing depreciation, maintenance and opportunity costs.)

If I were back in the USA, I suppose I could rent a car; however, options do exist. For example, now there are more airport drop off services, even in rural areas, since many travelers want to avoid the airport parking fees. I would also check an internet site called Lonely Planet Thorntree and offer to share transportation expenses with someone heading in the general direction that I want to visit.

Once I started thinking outside the box, as in "how can I get there if I own no car" I discovered many opportunities.

Not perfect but works for ole Lance

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote