Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Tough Spending Decision
Old 06-16-2006, 07:44 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Ha,
Good luck with your dog. Hopefully you can still have some good times ahead.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha, I hope the medication brings Bingo back around soon. It is so hard watching them when they are hurting and don' t understand why.

Sounds like you have a good chance of getting him back to normal, or at least good enough to enjoy life. Bouvier's are one of my favorite breeds. Anything big and shaggy. My first was an Old English Sheepdog. Rufus was a Portugese Water Dog.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #83

Sheryl,

I am so sorry for your loss. Our pets definitely do become a part of our family.

Ha,

I hope that Bingo adjusts to the medication and that you have many good years with him.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #84

Here's an update on the outcome of Pyewacket's radioisotope thyroid treatment:

The two weeks of "precautions" ended today. We can now handle him at will and even let him sleep in our bed. He is on no medication at all and is regaining some of the weight he lost before and during the treatment. He is much calmer also. His basic personality has not changed - he still does not like to be petted much and still does some nutty things but, overall, we are pleased with the outcome. On Monday we head to Las Vegas for a week to celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary. Our neighbor will look after him at our house while we are gone. Looks like the cost of the treatment ($1600 total) was money well spent. Thanks to all here who gave me the benefit of their advice and experience.

Grumpy
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

Grumpy,
Congratulations on the 37th anniversary.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:59 AM   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Sounds like you have a good chance of getting him back to normal, or at least good enough to enjoy life. Bouvier's are one of my favorite breeds. Anything big and shaggy. My first was an Old English Sheepdog. Rufus was a Portugese Water Dog.
We have considered adding a Portuguese Water Dog to our household, to keep Sophie company (our 7 y.o. Doberman). Any words of wisdom on the breed?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 08:50 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy
Here's an update on the outcome of Pyewacket's radioisotope thyroid treatment:

... Thanks to all here who gave me the benefit of their advice and experience.

* Grumpy
Grumpy, Congrats on the anniversary, and on the success of your kitty's treatment. I'm happy for the good outcome!
Old 06-23-2006, 08:58 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
We have considered adding a Portuguese Water Dog to our household, to keep Sophie company (our 7 y.o. Doberman). Any words of wisdom on the breed?
My experience was wonderful - I would get another except I don't want to buy a* purebred when there are so many "rejects" out there needing homes (Rufus was a reject left at the pound).* *There is definitely a requirement for grooming, either you need to do a lot yourself or commit to taking him/her to a groomer regularly.* On the positive side, they have hair, not fur, (like poodles) so they do not shed and are able to be tolerated by people that are allergic to dogs typically.

Rufus was very well behaved, housebroken when I got him, and had a very mellow temperament, except that he hated small children.* The child problem was very specific to kids around 3-4 years old, and I think that he was mistreated by children and that's why he ended up in the pound.* I* have never heard this being a problem with the breed in general.

He also hated the mailman, but what dog doesn't?

Any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Old 06-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Grumpy,
Great news on the cat, that's one less thing to worry about on your vacation. Now, figure out how much you paid the vet and put the same amount on the "come" line and roll those bones!! I can hear it now: "Come on, seven!! Kitty needs a thyroid treatment!!" Hey, it's nearly even odds that you'll get it paid for. If not, just double the bet and try again . . .

Have a great time, and happy 37th anniversary.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #90

samclem,

Thanks! As a LBYM type of guy I usually find a $2 minimum bet blackjack table somewhere in Las Vegas. I can play as long as I like and not spend more than $100. We tend to use our $'s in Vegas for good shows and good meals.

Grumpy
Old 06-23-2006, 12:59 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
He also hated the mailman, but what dog doesn't?
I ordered some biscuit samples from flintriverranch.com and the box was too big to put in the mailbox, so she bought it to the door. They like the mail "man" a lot now. Very disappointed when they dont get biscuits though.

All mutts here. We like 'em. We got Ted because he was the loudest dog at the pound. We heard all 3lbs of him barking for all he was worth when we pulled into the parking lot. Oddly enough, he rarely barks. He lets the other two dogs do all the barking for him.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Grumpy
I spent $2300 on our 6 year old cat to solve a stubborn urinary infection. Although it was totally unplanned, I will never regret the extra expense.

Good luck with Pye!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:17 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

KCowan, we're up to $1000 with urinary issues with our 11 year old male cat---and we're not sure they are totally resolved. It seems like your cat wasn't cured instantly---can you post or private message me about what was done for your cat, how many trips to the vet it took, what pills were prescribed, and if your cat was/is finally okay. We are ERing at the same time as Tang's problems and it's totally stressing us out!
Old 07-12-2006, 11:42 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

He was on an antibiotic daily pill (Zenequin) for 3 weeks to treat cystitis. He seemed to be fine. Then had a serious recurrence about five days later. This required a 1.5 day stay as he was totally stopped up and needed some radical action. Then another 3 week bout of pills and a final checkup.

No lingering problems so far (it was over a year ago).
Old 07-12-2006, 08:12 PM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you guys look into the pet health plans. I forget if this was mentioned in the post.
Was it the medication that was expensive or the visits?
My cats head in the other direction whenever they are on medications. Although they sometimes just like to head in the other direction anyway .
Glad to here Pyewacket's doing good. Maybe he can get a few new toy mice so your not the only one having fun
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyrdpd
Did you guys look into the pet health plans.
Both cats are only outdoor on the patio of our penthouse. After being fixed and declawed, there have been zero expenses until this big event. So it averages about $165/yr per cat. I can handle that as an unplanned self-insurance cost.

Just defer the new car for a year...
Old 07-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

If someone finds a pet health insurance plan thats worth it, let me know.

I looked at a bunch of them a few years back. On the best of the bunch, I had to pay something like $200 to start and $100 a year, plus bring them in twice a year for "checkups" and all the shots. In return I got office visits for a reduced rate, meds at a reduced rate, and a limited per-pets-life $3000 for unexpected medical needs. Injuries didnt count, just illness.

After I ran the numbers, if I was bringing my dogs and cats in twice a year already it'd come out to a slightly bad deal unless one of them became very ill. Since I wasnt bringing them in twice a year, it turned out to be an awful deal.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #98
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

One tangle with a porcupine made my pet insurance worth while. That said, I'm not going to renew again. I can afford it if my pets gets injured or needs surgery.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:03 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnad
One tangle with a porcupine made my pet insurance worth while.* *That said, I'm not going to renew again. I can afford it if my pets gets injured or needs surgery.
One way I knew that I was getting ahead in life is when I stopped pulling out the porky quills from my dogs' muzzles. What a job! It was bliss to just drop them off at the vets and come back later.

A had a Lab who was wild about porky meat. But he was a very good dog, and he let me work on him without much protest.

Ha

Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #100
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pyewacket sounds like my cat's long lost sibling!

And at 13 years, what a difficult decision.... That's not all that old for an indoor cat these days.

My husband and I feel that if our cat were able to verbalize his wishes, he would have a living will and would refuse medical treatment.

But if he were in a similar situation and a treatment would restore his quality of life, I would be strongly tempted to do it, even at his age of 17.5. Because he is excellent health otherwise; he could easily make it to 20. That's a lot for a few more years, but in the early years, we spent so little on him. Overall he's been a "good investment" and a very big pleasure in our lives. Spend on pleasure!

WFL is offline   Reply With Quote